N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
gernhart,

Welcome to Treasure Net !!
I don't know about caches in Nevada, but if you hear of one located located in a Nevada ghost town, the book, Nevada Ghost Towns and Mining Camps, by Stanley W. Paher, may come in handy.

Don....

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful when you go into mines. Always have somebody outside of the mines, and always look down for very big hungry snakes and up for bats. Good luck to you.

OP
OP
gernhart

gernhart

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks I will look in to that.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here you go. There is a trail, I think it is the Mormon trail that just about parallels I80. They were very "trail worn" at that point and had the mountains to content with ahead so they cached some of there heavier belongings along the trail. I have often thought of working my way along that trail while detecting it. It is one of those things that I never got around to doing. I hear the ruts are still there to follow. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 478

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I believe it was the "California Trail" between Salt Lake City and Sacramento that generally follows I-80. PART OF the Mormon Trail went through Salt Lake City and turned SW ending up in Los Angeles and maybe even San Diego. That path was close to I-15 (and Vegas).
Don....

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
gerhart, there are massive sources of treasure leads in Nevada, unfortunately 99% of them are bunk. Did you hear about the workers
finding $800,000 in gold dust in a house in Sacramento? Nobody knew about that one. Folks who hide valuables rarely advertize.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
As a suggestion, if you want to find treasure caches, one place I'd recommend is searching the newspapers of the day. Yes, that may be 2nd or 3rd hand information, but what you read in books is probably 'created' stories from the author's mind--unless referenced back to newspaper articles--then you're back to 2nd and 3rd hand information.
Don........

OP
OP
gernhart

gernhart

Tenderfoot
Dec 14, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some good thoughts, thanks all for your participation. The old trail might be something to look in to but I will have to find a starting point. Will try to research it. Good luck to all, happy hunting!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do some research on the Henderson area during the late 50s & late 60s. They used to find bodies in the hills quite frequently aledged to be guys who couldn't pay their markers. And there are several old stories of buried caches in the area. Keep your eyes open for antiques thrown out with trash. Check the newspaper archives from this period at the library. Also, if you follow the RR tracks north from where the UPRR yard used to be, there were numerous transient (hobo) camps. Don't know if it's still there but there used to be a drainage ditch running along Bonanza E of 1st st that always produced some coins. They might've installed pipe there in the last 20+ years. That should give you a start. Hit the newspaper archives & I guarantee you'll come up with a lot of good info.

Hellzcannibal

Tenderfoot
Mar 16, 2013
Sheridan, WY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I grew up in vegas and when I was a teenager, me and my uncle went S.W. to a very small town called Cima. Can't remember if it is across the Cali border or still in Nev. I think the direction from town center was N.E. about a half mile, we found an abandoned silver mine shaft (hole). Among the debris from the small shack, we found a few canvas bags that said Cima Silver Mine. My memory is'nt very clear but he said he did "really well" from the mine toward the nearest mountain, N. I thinks. Better results were found the closer we got to the mountain, he said he found a nice bit of gold here and there along runoff areas. I do remember there were some claim markers up the further we went. We spent half a day or so there and always meant to come back. Then life happened and we moved away. There are also large tailing piles I heard about on the other side of Sunrise Mountain, on the Lake Mead side. I don't know if it is worth the trip, just thought I would share.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread