Kids bury Time capsules

gypsybandit

Feb 4, 2011
Tenn
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Growing up in the 50's the kids in our area all got together and made a time capsule and each pitched in a thing or two and buried it and said one day someone will find it and find a time capsule from the late 50's .. I was wondering if anybody else ever did this .. or dug up a crude capsule? Ours was in a mason jar with some Cracker Jack toys some old wheat pennies and some old baseball cards buried it with a pepsi bottle from the era... ...I never recovered it yet .. I did locate the pepsi bottle and still have it .. but never found the Cache... Post your stories.. old -pepsi.jpg

Connecticut Sam

Bronze Member
Sep 28, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sure that the pennies and baseball cards are worth a lot of money.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I've buried one in a mason jar with some IHC's, silver dime, roll of wheats, and a roll of 2012 pennies. Buried it 1.5 feet down so hopefully in 1000 years someone finds it

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Neighborhood kids buried some coins in 65' or 66' in a tobacco can. Did it by the roots of a huge oak. If some of the other kids didn't dig it up the next day I imagine the root system has grown over it. I know surveying I've found benchmarks set 20 or 30 yrs before that were overgrown.

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I buried a jar full of pennies as a child (1970's) but then promptly went back a week or two later and dug it up again once the temptation for candy at the store became unbearable ! To date though the only cache I have ever found metal detecting was a child's cache: 57 wheat pennies all from the 50's buried in a small jar in the center of a back yard on a small city lot.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
one cache i found was all zinc pennies, already scattered by the bull dozer. he scattered them for 40 yards.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buried my kids school work from the 3rd. grade in a popcorn tin in the backyard,I plan on opening it up when they graduate from college.I also found someones time capsule of sort. about 5 years ago I was hunting for old barn wood with a friend of mine,he was given permission to take as much barn wood from an old barn that had fallen down on a friends land,while we were unnailing the wood,we came across a sort of treasure map written on the underside of one of the pieces of wood,we followed the map,but relize it we were gona need a metal detector.A week later we came back with a cheap Radio Shack MD and found a mason jar with some marbles, a tube of lipstick and a little doll in it.The owner of the land said he wasn't sure on who lived there before him but would find out.I still have that jar somewhere in the garage.

arnofarrell

Feb 18, 2012
North West Iowa
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have buried a couple. WhenI was a kid, maybe 9, a friend and I would "find" the metal caps on tire stems and my mom found a couple in my pocket. lets say I was in a heap of trouble. Anyways I have a little plastic tackle box that I kept all of the other ones I had and quickly buried it at my dads house off the corner of the porch. My dad sold his place and I never came back for it.

Another one I buried in high school and it had some of my coin collection inside as well as some other random stuff of the time. It wasn't buried long, I dug it back up 2 years later.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 bucks in pennies in the garden way back in 86 never been able to find it since

MadPoetLaw

Feb 3, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a video of a lucky THer who found a child's cache. Lucky for him that was one thrifty child ! 300+ coins all silver in a toy bank.

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250
My brother and I buried an assortment of coins in 1960. Two years ago I went out with my GTI 2500 and found some wheat pennies several nickels and dimes. The spot where we buried the plastic container was gone and most of the coins were gone due to a ditch being dug beside the location where the container was buried.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread