The real deal! Gold and silver

spaceman

Sep 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am ready to start putting in some serious time looking for some real treasure. My buckets are already full of scrap metal and trinkets so I am concentrating on cache hunting. It's either all or none for now on.
After scouring this board I have only seen legends, hoaxes and non-findable caches. Without referring me to online sites or books, how do you find any real leads? My thinking is maybe lost items that have not been chased as much. I am looking for something real that you can hold in your hand at the end of the day.
Thanks for any input.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Some of the best finds are intact in partly demolished or partly burned and abandoned houses.
Now the caveat, are you a risk taker and willing to get filthy dirty combing such places? Or do
you hanker for unique period relics? Then the way to go is western ghost towns where large
mining settlements existed for multiple years. Again this calls for somewhat secretive activity.
Not that you breaking laws but discretion is called for.

It all depends on how dedicated you are to your pursuits. There are publications online where
can get hints on little known prospects. Find one or two in an area you will be visiting and go
about your search without attracting attention. That's how the pros go about their business.
They may go to a tourist town and act like a tourist but are really probing for clues to how best
to conduct the search. And they are 90% certain of their target before the shovel comes out.

Bigdogdad

Bronze Member
Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Go to your local Historical Society and talk to the people there. Tell them what you want to do. They may know of some local stories of lost or hidden wealth. It is easier to try to find stuff close to where you live. Having to travel long distances to hunt can be very time consuming and expensive. There may be treasure buried in your own back yard.

OP
OP
spaceman

spaceman

Sep 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you lastleg and bigdogdad for you suggestions. I dont know if the spammer comments are directed at me or not. I didnt get any suggestions on another thread so I thought maybe posting on this cache forum was the place I should be posting. I am fairly new and just thought that I would now devote my time to looking for something of real value instead of just looking for pocket spills or trash as I usually find. Bigdogdad the whole point of looking for somewhere new is that I want to travel and see the country so my local historical society is not where I want to go. But as I said thanks for the suggestion.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no the Spammer comments were because of a spammer who was deleted.
These comments have been deleted now also

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, I have hunted caches all over the US. A lot of the sources that I used are gone. One that is in print is The United States Treasure Atlas. It is a 10 volume set of the life research of Thomas P Terry. Most are just listings, but some contain details. It even contains maps to show where the listings are located. It shows caches , ghost towns, etc. This can get you started, but you have to pay your dues in additional research to expect to verify and claim the prize. Cache hunting is no piece of cake. I average one find for ten actual hunts and some of the researched cache stories are eliminated before an actual hunt. Good luck, Frank...

111-1 profile.jpg

OP
OP
spaceman

spaceman

Sep 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn, have you ever gotten any leads off of this board or is this mainly just a social thing? I see where the beach hunters, coin hunters and shipwreck guys post finds but never any finds in the cache forums that I have seen.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frankn, have you ever gotten any leads off of this board or is this mainly just a social thing? I see where the beach hunters, coin hunters and shipwreck guys post finds but never any finds in the cache forums that I have seen.

Cache hunters usually talk about the " ones that got away", but seldom about there catches.
Look at it this way, you find a box of gold coins and brag about it and all of a sudden there are people crawling out of the woodwork with a claim to it.
Do you get the drift? Frank... coins_0004 1854 F_edited-1.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I guess he didn't, He's chasing the thrill ! and SW PA. lol Frank... 51 butterfly.jpg Chasing Butterflys!

OP
OP
spaceman

spaceman

Sep 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess he didn't, He's chasing the thrill ! and SW PA. lol Frank... View attachment 875012 Chasing Butterflys!

Frankn I have been to most threads that deal with caches and havent really found much. The leads forum was of little use also but the Fenn cache is at least a possibility and would be an awsome place to search when the snow melts in the spring. The SW Pa thread has a million views so I thought that there may be something to it but after many days and nights of reading it I am not so sure. But if I can get the facts maybe I will be able to figure it out. So far I am leaning towards it being somewhere just to hang out and post but time will tell. Just getting into cache searching is a challenge in itself as leads are next to impossible to find. At least real leads are anyway.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frankn I have been to most threads that deal with caches and havent really found much. The leads forum was of little use also but the Fenn cache is at least a possibility and would be an awsome place to search when the snow melts in the spring. The SW Pa thread has a million views so I thought that there may be something to it but after many days and nights of reading it I am not so sure. But if I can get the facts maybe I will be able to figure it out. So far I am leaning towards it being somewhere just to hang out and post but time will tell. Just getting into cache searching is a challenge in itself as leads are next to impossible to find. At least real leads are anyway.

Well, I can tell you have no cache hunting experience. Look at those two supposed caches. Fenn has given you nothing to work on, just a bunch of descriptive adjectives with several states to place them in. You need a starting point BEFORE you can apply them. As far as the SE PA witch hunt. You don't know what you are looking for and they are guessing at the woods.
Another tricky set of adjectives with no starting point. They are both snipe hunts!
OK I will do you a favor. Give me your state and county and I will see if I can come up with a good starting point and story for you. You can send me the 20% after you find it. lol Frank...

coins_0005 T gold_edited-1.jpg

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
There were two sizable caches found recently and reported here. One was a classic multiple cache
recovery and the other found unexpectedly behind a wall. People have always hidden money and
sometimes they never get back to retrieve it. Many a house has been torn down with the workers
getting a windfall. If you recall my previous advice it should give you an idea of how to put yourself
in the path of large or small treasure. They say the first is the hardest.

OP
OP
spaceman

spaceman

Sep 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn any place is in the 48 states is fine with me so PM me if you want to. I have wheels and want to travel so I thought that if I get a good lead it give me a destination. Your right about those two threads but I have nothing better to do right now. I may just head south for the winter and hang out with some locals in what I think may be good areas and try to pick up some real leads. But for now I am trying to get the thread starter on the PA thread to give some straight answers instead of beating around the bush with vague suggestions that he dishes out as fact. Kind of like the Fenn poem which has nothing definate. Oh well.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Frankn any place is in the 48 states is fine with me so PM me if you want to. I have wheels and want to travel so I thought that if I get a good lead it give me a destination. Your right about those two threads but I have nothing better to do right now. I may just head south for the winter and hang out with some locals in what I think may be good areas and try to pick up some real leads. But for now I am trying to get the thread starter on the PA thread to give some straight answers instead of beating around the bush with vague suggestions that he dishes out as fact. Kind of like the Fenn poem which has nothing definate. Oh well.

Here goes: Boca TP-1  500.jpg Boca TP-2 500.jpg Boca map 500 -2 copy.jpg The most likely spot is the top canyon on the left of the map.

You didn't give me an area, so I through a dart. Good Luck, Frank... PS: I expect to see one of those silver bars by UPS.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
you want a real treasure lead so think it through. Every time someone finds money there is a gold rush. Any viable area is quickly cleaned
out. The earliest metal detectors appeared in the mid - 1930s but they didn't have a boom until silver coins disappeared from circulation
about 1965 SO if you find a story about a treasure find made before 1935 you have a chance of being the first person on the ground with a
metal detector. If you know how to use your metal detector to find large items (not the same as filling a bucket with coins and another with
scrap metal) then you have a chance to dig a treasure IF you can get legal access to the property. A more productive way is to go to an area
that lived and died before there were banks. Get permission to search then research where to search. good luck, siegfried schlagrule

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Yeah Space, when you get to the border crossing tell em Pancho n sent you.

It's easy to cross the border at Columbus NM just above this area. Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
...and remember,they don't need no stinkin' badges!

ECS, That's a long walk from FL!

There is a border crossing there that I have crossed many times to go to that pink restaurant in Mexico, no problem.
Frank...
111-1 profile.jpg

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Frank, you are referring to Columbus NM aren't you? It's only three miles from the border. But you can
stay in the US by going to Lordsburg before dipping south to the Animas goldfields.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread