The real deal! Gold and silver

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Spaceman, You jest can't wonder around aimlessly, You need starting points.
When I take a trip out west in the winter months, I have researched targets. The last time I went it was a stage coach stop that was discontinued. The one who ran the stop was paid in gold coins and cached them there.
To make a long story short, I could not locate the stop which was way in the boonies of the west, BUT, I happened on an old ranch house that looked like it hadn't seen people in many years. I pulled over the MH and decided to give it the once over. It had the remains of a small fenced in yard behind the house. I detected that area and found a jar of coins about 3' out from the rear gate post. Let's just say, it paid for the trip+.

Hay go to Quartzite in January. There is a 3 ring circus size tent with 3 shows, a muscle car show, a rock hound show, and a motor home show, but the biggest attraction is the area turns into the worlds largest flea market.
Put it on your bucket list. I also prospect and have several claims in the area that I can work.

When you sell your house, get a small motor home then you can TH anywhere. The fuel is expensive, but the food and lodging expenses savings more than make up for it and the freedom of no reservations adds to the freedom to roam. Frank...-
View attachment 1028956 There's no place like home, where ever it is. 4 wheel drive, 305HP diesel, 22'

Last edited:
OP
OP
spaceman

spaceman

Sep 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spaceman, You jest can't wonder around aimlessly, You need starting points.
When I take a trip out west in the winter months, I have researched targets. The last time I went it was a stage coach stop that was discontinued. The one who ran the stop was paid in gold coins and cached them there.
To make a long story short, I could not locate the stop which was way in the boonies of the west, BUT, I happened on an old ranch house that looked like it hadn't seen people in many years. I pulled over the MH and decided to give it the once over. It had the remains of a small fenced in yard behind the house. I detected that area and found a jar of coins about 3' out from the rear gate post. Let's just say, it paid for the trip+.

Hay go to Quartzite in January. There is a 3 ring circus size tent with 3 shows, a muscle car show, a rock hound show, and a motor home show, but the biggest attraction is the area turns into the worlds largest flea market.
Put it on your bucket list. I also prospect and have several claims in the area that I can work.

When you sell your house, get a small motor home then you can TH anywhere. The fuel is expensive, but the food and lodging expenses savings more than make up for it and the freedom of no reservations adds to the freedom to roam. Frank...-
View attachment 1028956 There's no place like home, where ever it is. 4 wheel drive, 305HP diesel, 22'

Frankn, that was the whole reason for me posting here so I dont wonder around aimlessly, which I do. Its tough to research targets not knowing if they are real or they still exist. Lots of old stories I think are just stories and researching is sometimes almost impossible. It seems like it is just doing the time and hoping for luck. I do have a class B MH but then you can only live in a sardine can for so long and the you just have to get a weekly or monthly rental place if affordable. I havent looked into finding a claim to work but that may be a better then trying to hit the big one.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave Rishar, a recent property owner in Texas had several caches on his property. Locations were near the swing set, near the dog run, between three Chinquapin trees, under the bird bath, and so on. Five of seven have been recovered. A plastic milk jug had silver dimes, a 5 gallon glass bottle had mixed coins from the 50's to 70's, a plastic one gallon bucket had 500 silver halves, another container had plastic bags with paper money sealed in it.

Another cache property was hidden in a workshop - $42,000 in paper money hidden in a coffee can. The top portion of the can had rusty nails welded together.

Another house had $100 bills hidden in books in a Doctor's study, a few bills in each book in the bookcases. Some other $100 bills were taped under the kitchen sink.

As you can see, the locations vary, and the storage medium can be as varied as the locations.

After the Great Depression, many people didn't trust banks. So it was common to keep some money well hidden for the future.

Wayne

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread