Lorenz LPX2

CDMakaKvM

Greenie
Dec 24, 2006
I have a PS II detector which is a PI like the Lorenz, but you may not need to spend that much money. It depends on what you're looking for and how deep. The average cache is arms length or between 24 to 48 inches. The exception to this is Spanish treasure and Indian treasure, both of which seem to favor caves covered with a rock or rocks and dirt. If you're looking for farmer type caches, you can get away with most detectors with a 12" coil minimum. I have two detectors with 12" coils that will pickup a large coffee can at 24", which is not bad. White has a two-box that is very good, but the problem with 2-box detectors is they're hard to keep in tune. I can pass over my test cache buried about 2-ft deep(coffee can) with my two-box and get a good signal, but it has to be adjusted just right. That's where PI units have the advantage. They stay in tune and they are more reliable, in my opinion. I love Pulse Induction myself having used about everything out there at one time or other, excluding GPR stuff. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend. If you have to, you can get along with a standard detector and a large coil, but if you have the money, you can't go wrong with any of the Pulse Induction units including Lorenz. At present I'm using an 18" coil with my PI unit which will go down 5-ft or more on large objects and it will descriminate between ferrous and non-ferrous objects, if the object is large. Once you start using PI and compare it with standard VLF units, you'll see why more serious people are using Pulse Induction. Hope this helps a little. Good luck!

OP
OP
Dave45

Dave45

Dec 31, 2004
The Lone Star State
Thanks for the reply, I agree Im going to get a pi unit right now i have a vlf that I use in all metal mode, think I'll get the 14 inch coil for the minelab then save for a good pi unit.
HH
Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread