new to TN ... cache expert advice needed

OP
OP
B

booshey

Aug 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the feedback and advice. I am learning from you all as I go. Pulled the oldest coin yet out of the ground tonight after work, a '40 wheat penny. It was 2 feet from where I dug the small sterling ring. Not shown is a 1965 Chrysler service manual found in the barn worth $40-$50 and a coke bottle from the late '50's worth about $15-$20 ( I gave it to my dad cause he is a coke guy), but here are a few of my findings so far:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine bought a house the people previous said they were sure grandpa his some money there. he noticed a floor register was not putting out air, pulled it out and looked down, he just saw the dirt under the house, then out of curiosity he brushed some of it off the top, found an old small tackle box with 18K in it! Also as someone lese mentioned rafters are good to check- one guy found holes drilled into the wood of his rafters and the holes were filed with gold coins and ad wooden plus put back over them! Hen houses, pig pens, and other places animals are kept --they are great alarms if someone comes around--especially a dog house-under it. Who would look? Fence posts can be lifted up and caches dropped in hole then fence post put back, also know of a guy finding a drilled out fence post that had a plug in the top, when it was removed he found a small sack of gold coins.

OP
OP
B

booshey

Aug 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the stories and ideas! Ironic that you mentioned the heat register, because just tonight my 75+ year old neighbor walked over. A brief conversation had him telling me how the previous owner of my house disconnected the floor furnace because he got tired of crawling in the crawl space under the house to work on it. There is one main register in the living room like most old floor furnaces.... Hmmm. He also said the older gentleman was found 5-10 blocks from this house in his last few years wandering around on a street lost and confused. He was only wearing one shoe but it was full of cash. Just got this story tonight. Wish I had a giant search party of you fellas to help one weekend.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here is my guess, try the green house, with a probe. I found 30k in one, was my fathers property. Not everyone hid just coins, some hid bills too!

OP
OP
B

booshey

Aug 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, here is my guess, try the green house, with a probe. I found 30k in one, was my fathers property. Not everyone hid just coins, some hid bills too!

It's only five ft by six ft. Maybe I have a digging project for this afternoon... Because it's in plain view from the master bedroom window and the majority of the rest of the yard is not due to one of the detached garages.

OP
OP
B

booshey

Aug 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rough afternoon in the heat. Lots of digging in the greenhouse and I finally got a solid hit about 9 inches down. Old quarter... Nice patina... 1966. Dang it! Also found a plant marker marked "1986 mardi gras" on one side and "skeezer" on the other. If you google skeezer like I did be warned...

OP
OP
B

booshey

Aug 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There I am swinging my detector and its starts going crazy... The silver beeps are loud and jumping from dime to quarter, back and forth. I carefully start digging and start to see the top of a plastic bottle. Slowing and carefully clearing the dirt, I am finally able to pull it out of the ground, taking pictures the whole time. My anticipation is sky high as I eagerly open the lid to see..... dirt. But what about the great high coin hit I was getting, an old quarter, '67 of course. My 3rd '67 quarter so far.

The cache still eludes me but pulled the first silver dime out of the ground this morning! Reading 1953 never felt so good. Also pulled out the following:

2 wheaties
1 1-Cent coin from the Bahamas
1 '42 war nickel
13 clad coins
1 Belt buckle
1 token - an old frostie root beer voucher that had a hole in it and had obviously been worn around a neck
2 old marbles

Cache is still coming... stay tuned

OP
OP
B

booshey

Aug 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another vintage find tonight in 5 minutes after work with my metal detector... image.jpg a nice sterling ring

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Maybe another Beekrock thread? Beekrock II...A Decade Later ...I have nothing to offer, but that old thread would make your head spin with ideas

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you're having a grand old time! See what more info you can get out of the old timers about the man, his property as well as any odd habits he might have had.

Look for the the old cloths line, sure to be more coin spills there.

Try this site to see if there are any aerial photos of the property back in the day at this website: NETR Online ? Historic Aerials

We're rooting for ya!

OP
OP
B

booshey

Aug 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the advice! Pulled the first Merc of my life out of the ground today.... 1942. Can't wait for the cache!

OP
OP
B

booshey

Aug 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys wouldn't believe it! Sorry it's been a few days. This weekend, just 6 inches from the back door sidewalk I got a great silver hit and dug a '43 quarter 2 inches down in the packed dirt, and my next dig 12 inches away was a '43 nickel. The night before the very first hit I dug was a 1920's Calvin Coolidge Presidential token, selling online from $10-$30. Things are heating up!

OP
OP
B

booshey

Aug 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week my parents came to town for my wife's baby shower. It's amazing how they will come in from all over the country for their first grand-baby's anything! While my wife and my mom were at the shower, my dad and I got a few hours of alone time that we have almost never had my whole life. Of course, our few hours alone together quickly turned into my pulling out my detector, giving my dad 2 minutes of instruction, and then telling him to prove how most of the stuff in the ground at our new place was older than 60 years. Wouldn't you know, the second coin hit he got was a 1944 silver coin that had "United States of America" on one side and "20 centavos" on the other. Had to look it up since I had never even heard of one. Good things to come.

TunnelRat

Mar 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last week my parents came to town for my wife's baby shower. It's amazing how they will come in from all over the country for their first grand-baby's anything! While my wife and my mom were at the shower, my dad and I got a few hours of alone time that we have almost never had my whole life. Of course, our few hours alone together quickly turned into my pulling out my detector, giving my dad 2 minutes of instruction, and then telling him to prove how most of the stuff in the ground at our new place was older than 60 years. Wouldn't you know, the second coin hit he got was a 1944 silver coin that had "United States of America" on one side and "20 centavos" on the other. Had to look it up since I had never even heard of one. Good things to come.

Booshey, I keep going back to what you said about some of the windows not working. I would check those out carefully to see if the sash weight was down in the frame and if they go down as far as the weights on the windows that do work. It may be that the fellow dropped money down the opening (s) and then dropped the sash weight down on top of it to hide the coins. Good Luck.

Native1858

Oct 12, 2008
Colorado Springs
Yes, you want books by H Glenn Carson, and Dick Stout. Start studying. Also, your local library may be a good source of ILL's (interlibrary loans) for these.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You mentioned he had a store on the property. Some older stores that had refrigeration had the compressors in a basement. Is there or was there a basement even a small one? I've made two recoveries in store basements. One I found wooden boxes of receipts & cancelled checks. IF you find receipts or cancelled checks DON'T throw them away. I made more off them than I made off the money, there's a market for the stuff. Also, you might want to concentrate on what would be the likely path to the house from the store. Can the store be seen from the house? You might be able to spot likely spots from the house. Don't get over excited. Pick the most likely area, search it good then move to the next most likely area, etc. Since you own the property there's no hurry. From the looks of it you've got years of fun searches.

Most important! If you do find a cache Keep your mouth shut! I can almost guarantee the previous owners will be first in line sueing for it. Second most important! HAVE FUN WITH IT!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread