gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First I'd look into the guy's history and see if it looked like he actually would have had spare money to bury. 99.9% of these stories are just tall tales and not to disparage those living in trailers, around here most folks living in trailers are living hand-to-mouth and would seldom have spare money to hide.

applecrack

Jan 22, 2014
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Whites XLT
Whites TM808
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I have heard that many times people will hide things in a place that they can see from a window. Like out a bedroom window. I would try to find window sight lines and keep it close to the house or mobile homes. He would have wanted to keep an eye on it possibly.

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you did not mention if the guy died or if he just moved away. if he moved he ,of course,took the money with him. if he died was it suddenly? if not than he may have retrieved the money for next of kin or med bills.if it was sudden,how long before the body was found and by whom?did the finder of the body pay cash for a new car two weeks later?have you gone to the probate court and read his will?

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Assuming there was something buried, look for the usual spots... Gardens, flower beds, fire rings, odd growth of trees (like in a triangle), etc.

Also, pretend you were him and try to come up with where you would stash something then go check there and so on.

Good luck!

Patrick

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My advice keep looking and enjoy the adventure. The hunt is the most fun. Best of luck to you.

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's hard to get under the mobile trailer that's there now, maybe there's a hidden floor panel that would reveal a hiding place.

Good luck!

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look out each window in the trailer then give yourself landmarks to detect at for example if there is a tree that is larger than most others that would have been easy to remember or If there are large rocks or an outcropping of rock that can be seen from trailer those would be spots easy to remember or any other abnormal spot is something easy for him to remember but not something obvious like a big X that marks the spot.

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
Keith2004, he did die suddenly. And it wasn't here at the house. Also, I don't know how it is where you live, but nobody round here accepts cash for new cars. I've had friends who tried. To everyone thanks a lot! Y'all have given me a ton of New ideas I woulda never thought about!

OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
Also to answer a few of you, this wasn't just some random poor old man livin in a old trailer out in the woods. The man was well known and respected in this town. He definitely wasn't poor. He had money, just lived very simple. Not all rich people choose to live in great big mansions. Not all rich people care to flaunt what they have with things they don't need.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What state are you located?

O

Old Silver

Keith2004, he did die suddenly. And it wasn't here at the house. Also, I don't know how it is where you live, but nobody round here accepts cash for new cars. I've had friends who tried. To everyone thanks a lot! Y'all have given me a ton of New ideas I woulda never thought about!

We'll all be expecting a check in the mail.:laughing7:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
You have to really think about this! This guy, lived in a mobile home all those years and you expect to find a bundle of money he buried?
When I research cache, I weigh the facts. This one is way out of balance. Frank five star.png
hand print-2_edited-7.jpg

O

Old Silver

You have to really think about this! This guy, lived in a mobile home all those years and you expect to find a bundle of money he buried?
When I research cache, I weigh the facts. This one is way out of balance. Frank View attachment 1093112
View attachment 1093114

I respectfully disagree. I've known people of means that you would swear they didn't have two dimes to rub together. It seems some people are satisfied with just knowing they have money.

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any structure, or kennel associated with the dogs?

Dog kennels, chicken coops, etc. are good places, because of the 24hr security system the animals provide.

You mentioned an abandoned house in addition to the trailer, is there a cellar? dirt floor?

Probably too late, but old furniture, dressers, cabinets that may have been left behind can be good spots.

GL

O

Old Silver

I respectfully disagree. I've known people of means that you would swear they didn't have two dimes to rub together. It seems some people are satisfied with just knowing they have money.

In fact, this is the very definition of the word, miser.

mi·ser
ˈmīzər/
noun
noun: miser; plural noun: misers

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thoughts that popped in my mind are. Maybe try Google Earth and zoom down to see if you can see anything odd with the ground or structures or trees and or all of it together?
2nd maybe try a Ground Penetrating Radar Unit and go over the whole property. You should google this process and see if it might be of interest to you.

Good luck Sir

O

Old Silver

I have heard of infrared pics from above, that will show ground disturbances. I've never used this, but it sounds like it would be the the thing to try in this case, as this cache hasn't been buried all that long.

Bloodline

Feb 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think... If you could find a person who has a GPR unit and they were good at reading it... I'd have him map out the entire property with it and then when he was finished I'd ask him to color all areas where the ground was DISTURBED and then only look in those areas. That device can at least do that...tell you where the ground has been tampered with. At least that way you'd have less of any area to search.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Well you could go broke trying to follow the advise you are receiving. If you are certain a
cache is there use your noodle to find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread