rumors of buried money.

atx

Greenie
Dec 8, 2014
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - Lonestar, Fisher F2, Fisher F4, Whites Coinmaster GT. WTB XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I would also see which fence posts were visible from the windows inside the house, especially the front living room or kitchen window. Try to imagine where that would be for the old house as well then check those fencepost holes first, while you are doing that look for anything else within those view points, was there an old chicken coop, smoke house, dog house or anything else it could have been buried under? Let us know how it goes!

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do the long range locating, mainly gold and silver but diamonds and currency, too. I've been at this a long time (practice about 300 days a year) and I build my own equipment. That's why I asked what state you are in.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I respectfully disagree. I've known people of means that you would swear they didn't have two dimes to rub together. It seems some people are satisfied with just knowing they have money.

Just curious! Did they live in a mobile home? What is your definition of people of means? I would guess that people only bury there excess riches. Frank five star.png
Z chest.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
In fact, this is the very definition of the word, miser.

mi·ser
ˈmīzər/
noun
noun: miser; plural noun: misers

So you are saying that you think people that are tight with there money are secretly rich? It could be and is more likely that they don't have much money to spend!
Frank five star.png 111-1 profile.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well you could go broke trying to follow the advise you are receiving. If you are certain a
cache is there use your noodle to find it.

Well you read my mind. You don't spend a fortune in time or money chasing what is just a rumor. Frank five star.png

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Where did you come up with this?? I have been detecting for 45 years and never seen a machine that would detect US or any other paper money. The poles in stores can tell how much money you're carrying!?!? This is so not true I have to call BS on it!! Don't know where you got these ideas but they are unfounded in fact.

I have to agree with most of this post and add some.
The poles pick up the tags in merchandise That have not been canceled at the checkout counter.
There is a new device that can trace tags in clothing to there original purchase point That is being tried by, I think, Wall Mart.
I do not think detectors can pick up money. The magnetic ink used is the same as used on checks. It requires actual contact with a special detector.
I use to work on some of the equipment for NCR. Frank five star.png

O

Old Silver

Well you read my mind. You don't spend a fortune in time or money chasing what is just a rumor. Frank View attachment 1093787

No one has told this hunter to go chasing after rumors. The guy asked for opinions because he deeded help in looking for something he thinks MIGHT be there. Let me ask you this. How many treasures have you looked for that you knew, FOR SURE, were there? Did you see a flashing arrow pointing to the spot where it was buried?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
No one has told this hunter to go chasing after rumors. The guy asked for opinions because he deeded help in looking for something he thinks MIGHT be there. Let me ask you this. How many treasures have you looked for that you knew, FOR SURE, were there? Did you see a flashing arrow pointing to the spot where it was buried?

YES! The flashing arrow starts lighting during the research phase, not the rumor phase. I don't chase rumors, i chase facts that prove out.
Look at it this way, with a good story and events 'mostly' proven (You seldom dig up info to prove them all) you are lucky if you find 1 in 10 on actual cache hunts.
I don't chase stories like,uncle willey was a miser so he must have buried a cache. Uncle willey might have had a girl on the side that was not known about, or he might have had a habit that was not know, or he might have gambled.
You have to tie the facts together before you hunt or it is all in vain.
Cache hunting is not shooting in the dark and expecting to hit the target.
Like life itself, there is no FOR SURE. Even the facts change, like someone got there before you. Frank five star.png
111-2 de Vinci.jpg

O

Old Silver

YES! The flashing arrow starts lighting during the research phase, not the rumor phase. I don't chase rumors, i chase facts that prove out.
Look at it this way, with a good story and events 'mostly' proven (You seldom dig up info to prove them all) you are lucky if you find 1 in 10 on actual cache hunts.
I don't chase stories like,uncle willey was a miser so he must have buried a cache. Uncle willey might have had a girl on the side that was not known about, or he might have had a habit that was not know, or he might have gambled.
You have to tie the facts together before you hunt or it is all in vain.
Cache hunting is not shooting in the dark and expecting to hit the target.
Like life itself, there is no FOR SURE. Even the facts change, like someone got there before you. Frank View attachment 1093804
View attachment 1093805

No one said this is a sure treasure. That's the point. No one told this hunter there is for sure a cache there to be found. In fact, he was told to do further research.
A good cache hunter will take the info on uncle Willie and do further research. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.
This hunter lives on a piece of property that he thinks MIGHT hold something, and he want to hunt for it. He asked for help. Why does that threaten you?

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
No one said this is a sure treasure. That's the point. No one told this hunter there is for sure a cache there to be found. In fact, he was told to do further research.
A good cache hunter will take the info on uncle Willie and do further research. I'm sorry if you don't understand that.
This hunter lives on a piece of property that he thinks MIGHT hold something, and he want to hunt for it. He asked for help. Why does that threaten you?

OH, But how many have told him it might be futile effort? All he has alluded to here is mere speculation by neighbors. None have told his they saw him burying something. Non really knew the financial statis. Uncle Willie is anonymous here. I just tried to show him the other side of the coin. I have been cache hunting since the 70's all over the USA. It's a Game I understand. Frank five star.png
y gold bars.jpg

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK.

I've been following this thread since it's beginning.

A few thoughts....

Number One: Do your research! Are the "Tales" believable? Ask locals. Try to learn new information. Did old guy have any peculiarities?

Number Two: Walk your search area. Get a feel of the property. While thinking of where you might hide a cache.

Number Three: Look for signs of location or direction. Also be aware of compass directions. Is there a large tree? A large rock? Any old stumps? Be aware of anything that catches your attention.

Number Four: POST your observations and ask for opinions! There's a lot of saavy Folks here who would love to hear of you finding a cache!

I'm only an hour or so away,
So, if you need another metal detector at your side, gimme a holler!

Best Wishes,

Scott

O

Old Silver

OH, But how many have told him it might be futile effort? All he has alluded to here is mere speculation by neighbors. None have told his they saw him burying something. Non really knew the financial statis. Uncle Willie is anonymous here. I just tried to show him the other side of the coin. I have been cache hunting since the 70's all over the USA. It's a Game I understand. Frank View attachment 1094061
View attachment 1094062

Some people treasure hunt for the joy they get out of it. IF they find something (may be unlikely), then it's icing on the cake, but if they like the cake, then why not let them enjoy it.
I too am a long time cache hunter. And when people post here asking for ideas or information, I like to try to give them encouragement.
Let's not act like we're above other treasure hunters, because we're not.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The time spent, the research involved is merely "doing your homework."

I'd say that about 90% of any successful search can be attributed to diligence of research.

However, some may inadvertantly stumble onto caches due to blind ignorance.

Let's help our Friend and offer advice and encouragement! :thumbsup:

After all, You might have just heard of a "rumor" of a buried cache!

Best Wishes,

Scott

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
My Grandfather"s Treasures!

My Grandfather had the same legend attributed to him

With his connection to "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" he too had people talking that he had a treasure buried on his property.

When he died offers came in to my father to sell his property.

My farther was more than happy to sell it for what was offered and the owners set about tearing this property apart piece by piece.

What I latter came to realize is that the treasure was never in the ground but in all the antiques that my Grandfather had accumulated.

I as a child had played with and unfortunately destroyed many items which today would be "Priceless".

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandfather had the same legend attributed to him

With his connection to "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" he too had people talking that he had a treasure buried on his property.

When he died offers came in to my father to sell his property.

My farther was more than happy to sell it for what was offered and the owners set about tearing this property apart piece by piece.

What I latter came to realize is that the treasure was never in the ground but in all the antiques that my Grandfather had accumulated.

I as a child had played with and unfortunately destroyed many items which today would be "Priceless".

Ah,

If you had only known....

Best Wishes,

Scott

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
The chance of one of those "grubby millionaires" digging a hole to put money in is miniscule.
They didn't get to be millionaires by foolish behavior. I've only known one who did and that
was on his girlfriend's place just outside a picture window. As he sat looking out he didn't
expect to die suddenly leaving the gold coin cache in the ground to this day.

Hey I know how you can help. Someone already subscribed to Ancestry.com check out the
"mizer" for kin living nearby. See how they live and notice if they wear flaky straw hats.

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never mentioned if you searched the trailer that is still on the property.
I owned a trailer once. It had a raised kitchen, about 14-16 inches above the living room. Every so often during the coldest part of winter, the pipe for the kitchen sink would freeze.
I removed the plywood panel at the rise near the steps to the kitchen and would shimmy under the kitchen floor (I was thin enough back in those days).
When I was done making repairs, I would put the plywood paneling back in place and no one was the wiser. If I were to hide a cache, that would be one place.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I have to agree with this! Although rare, I have met millionaires that drove beat up cars and wore ripped up clothes. One actually wore a straw looking hat that was falling apart. Have also met people that looked and lived like a million bucks, and were in debt out their rear. You never know, with some people at some point it becomes a disease. It's funny too, the op mentioned equipment. Two of the guys I met looked like dirt balls, and were worth millions had junk sitting around and looked like they hadn't taken a bath in years. The one had the same clothes on every time I saw him. He owned some of the most expensive commercial land around. just did not care one bit what people thought of him. So, living in a trailer or tent doesn't really mean anything.

And to add.....If it was just a rumor of this on my land. I would be looking too in my spare time. You have nothing really to lose, just your spare time. No, I wouldn't spend money or travel across country on this rumor. But if it's in the back yard? I'd have to look!

Like you said,"Although rare".
As you get older, your time becomes more valuable and you regret wasting it in your younger days.
I have seen both sides of life. During my lifetime, my family has been worth millions at times and broke at times. I look at it as experience in life, not spilled milk or happy dancing. I guess we have to collect a few years before we see the whole picture. My posts represent my views just as yours represent your views. The difference being the dept of field. Have a good day, Frank five star.png
_Hay in sky.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread