White's Coin Master-Garrett AT MAX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gear Head,

You have been given some great advise but when it all comes down to it, all the fun is in the hunt so go out and have one heck of a time. What state are you in?

Mike,

Your state is "Nunya."
(Georgia)

As in "Why do you ask? Nunya bizness...."

Sorry, just lookin' out for my Friends.

My respect to Txhawkeye2534.

We all look out for each other, right?

No harm.
No Foul..

We're all good here, K?

Best,

Scott

Last edited:

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read this whole post. I will say I knew of a retired cop, (he was dirty), from Baton Rouge and he had lots of money. Lots of it. I dated a girl and her mother was dating this retired cop. After her mother and him broke up after several months she bragged about how he drove around in his car with a suit case full of $100 bills in his trunk! He had bricks of them and he told her at one time when he was showing it to her there was over $2 million in the suit case. She saw it all. Every night when he would take her out, he would always go to his trunk and get some money out or put money in it. Of course when I heard the story and knew people who knew of this retired cop he was not one to mess with. He personally knew and hung around Governor Edwards at the time. Yeah, I used to think he would be easy driving around his car with all that money in the trunk and someone stealing his car or breaking into it and robbing him.

So this mans property you acquired, people claim he stashed money? His relatives have inquired about "looking around" the place? How come no heirs got the property prior to you getting it?

If it was me, I would most likely bury it within the walls of my home or real close to it. Also, are the dog pens around the property in a triangle or square style? Check the center of the property between the dog pens or where the dogs were tied to etc.

Is your ground hard or soft in the area? I know some areas of Georgia has some red clay, don't know if that is in your area or not. You could use a 4ft T shaped steel rod after a good rain and probe the rod into the ground and see if you hit anything solid. I would probe everywhere!

Are any of his old vehicles on the property like cars or trucks he may have driven daily?

I doubt he used any of his heavy equipment to bury his stash unless he built an underground bunker on his property with an access door to get to it any time he wanted to. Put yourself in his shoes if it was you and you wanted to hide your money. Think of somewhere he may have been drawn to everyday around the property in close proximity of the trailer if he was sleeping in his bed at night and had to get up and look real quick. Look at everything on the property. Don't get stressed out over it, take your time.

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harley, How 'bout just You, me and that Rebel, Gear Head feller get together with some beep-sticks....

Can you say, New Reality Show? Titled, "TREASURE FOUND!"

We be in Georgia....:headbang:

Best,

Scott

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Harley, How 'bout just You, me and that Rebel, Gear Head feller get together with some beep-sticks....

Can you say, New Reality Show? Titled, "TREASURE FOUND!"

We be in Georgia....:headbang:

Best,

Scott

That sounds like a plan! I'd drive to Georgia, but better hurry because Uncle Sam has me after mid April for several months maybe up to a year!

Last edited:
OP
OP
gear head

gear head

Oct 2, 2011
Sorry I haven't been on here in quite some time. I've been extremely busy. Anyway, the first step of goin through the truckloads of trash, and clearing all the overgrown bushes and weeds are done, I can move to actually searchin the property. I've found three small flowers that were planted in a triangle shape, when I cleared all the brush and weeds. Just planted right in the middle of no where. I also found some other good possible places as well. As soon as time allows, I'm gonna start back my search. I've asked a lot of people what they really thought about him and the rumor. They all said the same thing. That yes he was a very wealthy man. He did have a lot of money, but it seemed to just always slip through his hands. In other words, he was wealthy, but they just never seen it in possessions. They don't know what he did with all the money, cause he didn't have anything to show for it. As far as relatives, I haven't heard or seen anymore in about a year since I told the one what would happen if I caught him on my property again. Anyway, the search continues !

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike,

Do you really think that old bird planted any cash or such so close by?

Let me bring a couple of my antique metal detectors, put one in you hand and let's go lookin'!

Best,

Scott

PS. While I'm there, I'll help with any plumbing, electrical and clean-up projects you may have! I've been licensed in other states.....
Let me know what you may need.

My Birthday is this Saturday and I'll either go camping in the Mountains or come to see you, My Friend....

And did I mention bringing metal detectors?

Your Friend,

Always,

Scott

By the way,

How's that 'Stang coming along?
Do I need to bring some tools for that project, too?
Perhaps a set of "pickle forks?"

Where? :icon_scratch:

Barnesville?

South in Georgia?

Farther south than me?

joker1.jpg

"Yes, I like you already! Seems like a nice kid....
Shall we together seek lost Treasures?"

Last edited:

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also to answer a few of you, this wasn't just some random poor old man livin in a old trailer out in the woods. The man was well known and respected in this town. He definitely wasn't poor. He had money, just lived very simple. Not all rich people choose to live in great big mansions. Not all rich people care to flaunt what they have with things they don't need.

Gear Head,
A lot of the truly wealthy live a lifestyle most would consider middle class to low class. A lot of folks with fancy houses, cars, and toys are just a few missed pay checks away from a completely different lifestyle.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You have to really think about this! This guy, lived in a mobile home all those years and you expect to find a bundle of money he buried?
When I research cache, I weigh the facts. This one is way out of balance. Frank View attachment 1093112
View attachment 1093114

My dad was a lineman for the power company for 25 years. This is him... refusing to spend money on a tombstone and insisting he will make it himself:

He passed away years ago, and fortunately I knew where his (our) cache was because it was for emergencies or if something happened to him. He had close to $50,000 in a metal box hidden in a wall.

He had about 5X that in retirement and bank accounts. He was not rich but far from poor. I would venture to say he had more cash than most upper class people around here.

My point is just that you can't always judge someone by appearance or where they live. Some people just want a simple life. He didn't even have a car, he rode a three wheeled bike!

Last edited:

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my hometown of Lawrence, Kansas, years ago, was an odd man who always wore old clothes, never had a car (as best I remember) and was always known for being somewhat of a recluse. His name was Harry Puckett.

When he died, it was discovered that he was one of the richest men in Lawrence.

You never know....

https://lawrencekansas1970s.wordpress.com/public-notice/scan0153/
https://lawrencekansas1970s.wordpress.com/public-notice/scan0002-2/

NEVER discount human behavior.....

Best Wishes,

Scott

DiggerGal

Oct 12, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love these stories! I grew up in a small town in Illinois. I worked as a waitress while off from College. An old gentleman was a regular, always sitting in the same booth at the same time every day. The other waitress staff claimed he was weird and creepy, so I took his order regularly.
He definitely was outside the norm. He dressed differently, wore clear safety goggles over his glasses and always stayed for hours after his meal to read one of his many books. We all knew him as Tenny, heard he lived in the hayloft of an old barn, always walked everywhere even in the dead of winter.
Come to find out, this man with 4 Masters and a Phd, was extremely wealthy and an heir to the Remington (Rifle) family.
You can't judge people on how they look. You just never know....

NaturalJWL

Jul 19, 2007
NC
There used to be a fella around here quite a few years ago that was in the heavy equipment business, buying, selling also. The fact that some of it was "rumored" not to be his to sell didn't change the fact that he always walked around with plenty of cash in his pockets, and a 38 in another. I personally saw him pull out over 40k out of two pockets, no telling how much in his wallet. That was just walking around/business money. Another heavy equipment operator I knew needed an engine. Well yep, he went out back in a field and dug up a engine for a D-9 Cat all wrapped up and greased. Last I heard of him was when he got robbed one night after going home drunk, then he moved off. But he was living in a trailer with a large garage to work on equipment. He was big into selling parts. Just a couple years ago I heard tell of some buckets being found filled with silver coin when the place was graded. Heavy equipment uses a lot of hydrolic fluid, usually in 5 gallon buckets with spouts for on site use. Some folks don't trust banks, or ready cash is sometimes needed,buckets wouldn't do for cash though. I do know that sheriff depts from several counties raided his place several times, but always came up empty. No telling WHAT might be buried out back....

Good Luck Gear Head

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ah,

Perhaps, my Friends, a collection of such stories needs to be compiled for a book?

I'm sure that one could find enough stories including unknown treasures still awiting discovery!

Hope all are well!

Best Wishes,

Scott

fowledup

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2013
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT V/SAT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm thinking if your gonna bury money it implies you have some trust issues and may venture towards the paranoid a tad. Lots of loners I've known all had one thing in common- they loved and trusted their animals, specifically dogs more than any human. Not being trusting you would always worry someone is after your stash so you would want it protected- Dogs. Being a dirt man he would have known and been worried about folks seeing freshly dug up areas on his property. Where would that always dug up look not draw a second look or thought - Dogs. He wouldn't hide it in the house as he'd be worried it could be found or lost if there was a fire or something. Plus a person with a shovel and a bucket digging around in a kennel in broad daylight wouldn't draw one bit of attention. That's where my attention would be focused.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things come to mind with this post. The first is old stumps and large rocks up against a bank or hillside. Then there is the cache in Ohio a old man and his brother had buried. The family looked for it for years, but never found it. Knowing how these two separate caches were buried, a detector or two box would not help you. Caches are not buried too deep and usually in a way they can be recovered quickly. Searching for moved dirt is a good idea. Think about what they had back then, and how you would bury it. I cant say much about the 2 caches I know of as most likely they are still there. Good luck.

Hobo

May 20, 2014
Nv, Mt, Ca ,Id. Az, I'm a hobo
Detector(s) used
Deus, GB2,GB Pro & Tesoro Stingray
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with most of this post and add some.
The poles pick up the tags in merchandise That have not been canceled at the checkout counter.
There is a new device that can trace tags in clothing to there original purchase point That is being tried by, I think, Wall Mart.
I do not think detectors can pick up money. The magnetic ink used is the same as used on checks. It requires actual contact with a special detector.
I use to work on some of the equipment for NCR. Frank View attachment 1093788

Back in the 1960s Bill Mayhan claimed his D-Tex detector would find paper money. It was a BFO and it would detect papar$$ if it was very close, l watched him do it.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old bills use to have a thin wire in them, ones didn't have it but if I remember correctly all the other bills did. I don't know if new bills have it.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would do well for cache hunters to read this book. Th'ers Manual.PNG There is also book #6.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread