Share information on failed/frustrated cache research/recovery

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There obviously isn't much that can be, or will be, shared on the Forum about successful researched cache recoveries.

I recalled a recent poster who shared a recent experience. He caught the cache fever and made an intensive trip out West. He candidly shared his frustration, but very little details and experiences.

I think it would be interesting to have this thread sharing frustrated, unsuccessful researched cache experiences. There are surely aspects of the search that we can all learn from!

As in a previous thread I started "Anatomy of a Successful Researched Cache Recovery, a to z", it is suggested that actual names and locations be omitted or simply disguised. Certainly if it is a cache you are continuing to pursue, you are invited to share only non-specific information to protect your endeavor!

Last edited:

keith2004

Jun 16, 2012
alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pot grower arrested and spends two years in fed lockup.house,cars,and bank accounts seized.after release goes back into business a little wiser.3 years after release tells friends he "has $100,000 in cash I can get to in 15 minutes".one year later dies of heart attack.I research,verify,and make sure no former associates/friends/family come into sudden wealth.7 years after his death I go to location where i think money is buried.new owner of house is a HORDER and has piled 8 feet of rotted (vintage) wood and sheet metal on top of the site.now i just wait.......

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's DFX 300, Garrett Infinium PI, Fisher CZ6A, Garrett Deepseeker and Groundhog ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pot grower arrested and spends two years in fed lockup.house,cars,and bank accounts seized.after release goes back into business a little wiser.3 years after release tells friends he "has $100,000 in cash I can get to in 15 minutes".one year later dies of heart attack.I research,verify,and make sure no former associates/friends/family come into sudden wealth.7 years after his death I go to location where i think money is buried.new owner of house is a HORDER and has piled 8 feet of rotted (vintage) wood and sheet metal on top of the site.now i just wait.......

Excellent post, Keith! Reading the crime pages is probably the best source of cache leads available. I recall K von Mueller discussing this concept in Prospectors' Gazette when Nixon's Watergate debacle was occurring. Lots of illegal cash floating around and being hidden.

Knowing the location of crooks' favorite 'camping' spots may yield big dividends to industrious searchers.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other

If he has junk piled up the house can't be worth that much ... just buy it, get your $ then sell it. Or fix it up and make a profit.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Great thread starter chirper, let's see some veiled leads and see where it goes.

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea Chirper.

I could write a book on all the debunked caches stories I have checked out and found not to be true/nothing there. Been all over the usa and some of Mexico (nothing is ever easy) but its usually not a true story when you check it out. 95 percent were just made up or a supposition on relatives part. You can scratch off the Thomas Terry's books for most of Ohio and most of Kentucky as they are all stories that have nothing there, again most are based on something but either someone found it or it wasn't there to begin with.

OP
OP
chirper97

chirper97

Mar 28, 2005
south charleston, wv
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea Chirper.

I could write a book on all the debunked caches stories I have checked out and found not to be true/nothing there. Been all over the usa and some of Mexico (nothing is ever easy) but its usually not a true story when you check it out. 95 percent were just made up or a supposition on relatives part. You can scratch off the Thomas Terry's books for most of Ohio and most of Kentucky as they are all stories that have nothing there, again most are based on something but either someone found it or it wasn't there to begin with.

Curtis, would you share one of your favorites? I'm sure many forum members would appreciate and enjoy your experience!

streetshark1966

Feb 12, 2015
knox county ohio
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick silver, fisher f5, Tesoro sand shark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I passed up a catch when I first started detecting. it was 2012 hunting a 1800s ghost town on a friends farm land. I was new to detecting then. went out with my trusty bounty hunter. in a far corner of the property there was a spot where the hills made a depression with sides about 20-30' high with one opening. close to the opening I dug a canning jar lid rite side up as I dug it I could hear the broken glass. pulling the lid from the hole thinking crap more junk covered the hole and moved on. got more of the same reading on my detector close to my first hole. didn't dig them thinking the same junk and moved to different spot. Now I have found out more about that very spot. A horse theft ring hid out there. planning a hunt there maybe today

chevy3755

Tenderfoot
Aug 4, 2014
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice talking to ya the other day streetshark.......Larry close to arch park...........

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then, there is the story about the 13 wagons of gold coins at Bates Tavern, East Granby, Connecticut, During the Rev. War, total untrue. I live in Connecticut

Ridgehunter

Nov 2, 2013
Pueblo Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Whites Gold Master ll
Whites 120mm Bullseye
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I am the worst Cache recovering guy swinging a machine. First time at an old log cabin. Got a good hit at the back door about three feet out on the path. Started digging and ran into a steel post about 4 inches down pulled it up and still had a strong signal. Dummy didn't have a shovel! Covered up my hole I started and pulled some trash over the spot. Came back in a month and no signal at all! Next time I was searching around an old foundation on a home stead and got a good hit. Dug about a foot and uncovered a sheet of tin. Covered up the hole and left. Bought a book on lost treasures in Colorado and the book described how early settler's hid there money and family treasures....They nailed my error's in my find's.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are very few true stories about buried treasures in Connecticut. The Rev. war story about 13 wagons loads of gold coins are total untrue. There is a forum here about the story, so I do not have to repeat it again. Unlike other members here, I always get a contract with the land owners, to search for treasures, and they are always with me when I find treasures. I know of only two true buried treasures in my state. I have a detector, but, no car. Like my name, I am honest.

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen please post by our rules.... No insults..

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, Been all over the USA cache hunting and prospecting. Found a few small ones but the big ones have evaded me.
Here's one I missed. There was a WWI diserter who's father was a millionair. It took me a year to pin point the location where he hid 5 suit cases of $20 US gold coins. Yep, millions! The cache was marked by carvings on trees. I got there and struck up a deal with the lady that owned the property. I spent a couple of days looking for the tree blazes, but could find none. I went back and talked to the lady and she said the property had been timbered off 10 years ago. I spent some more time just searching and located a big 'car size' bolder on the hill which fit the description in the story. I got the 2 Box and hit that area. I found several large holes dug under that bolder. They were old. My guess is I was just to late. Frank There is a guy in PA going around the USA hiding caches worth thousands each. I am searching for one now. It is called the cross cache. There is a video of the contents on Facebook, Legend Hunters XXL and I shared it to my page. Hay, I don't mind competition, it adds to the fun. That cache is in PA, but he has hidden 10 all over the USA. He is putting out a PDF book with the cache stories. Hay they will have actual clues, not some undefined poem. Good luck, Frank. T Chest.jpg Here's the one I am looking for, all $25K worth.

gflores71

Nov 26, 2005
Central Coast, CA / Bolivia
Detector(s) used
White's V3, MXT All Pro, DFX, XLPro,TM-808, TDI-SL with 25" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another from personal experience...been in this hobby for about 25 years and this was a good lesson.

Have many detecting toys but when running around the country side sometimes don't have all the room available in the truck so one day just took my TM-800. Stopping at a small one street town out in the woods meet a man who knows I have MD's and he tells me that he had recently seen the "lights" come out of the ground and is sure it is a treasure. So I said "well show me where you where standing when you saw the light and where you thinks the light was".

So he did, it was right at the base of a little hill. He had seen it from about 300 feet distance so pretty reliable sighting.

I pulled My two box detector and started approaching the site covering ground on both sides of the line that lead me to the "light" point. Right as I got to the area my MD started to act erratic and could not balance or detect anything.

Told the guy I did not know what happened to the machine but I would come back to go over it again. Had the MD looked at and a ground wire came lose from one of the antennas. When I returned a week later, found out a kid playing in the area found a small clay pot with gold coins.

what did I learn? never travel with less than two machines.

G

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions