Share information on failed/frustrated cache research/recovery

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
gflores, good point. I mostly cache hunt so I usually am traveling quite a distance to the target area. I work out of a small MOTOR HOME and carry 4 detectors normally.
Frank

Havre de Grace Show 052.jpg

Dr. Syn

Feb 15, 2011
Lakeland, Florida
If you are looking for a cache, do more then take the stories for gospel. Check em out. There's one that is supposed to be quite near my farm. Little, one road, no stop light town. Something bothered me about it, as places like this you know everyone who's lived in the area for what seems like forever. Heck probably most of them are relatives of mine. This person's name I didn't recognize. So I started digging through the newspapers, as there was a double murder associated with this cache. Finally stumbled across an article about the murder. And guess what it was in a location over 60 miles as the crow flies from where the story said it was. Seems someone telling the tale had confused a town with an area of the same name.

With that one tid bit article I was able to track down other newspaper articles about the gruesome murders, the hunt for the murderer, the arrest and trial of such, and the botched execution of them. Bit by bit I was able to track down the homestead, using old county maps and aerial photos from back in the 1930's. Place is all gone now, but with Google satellite views I could pick out the locations of the old home, and barn. Heck even used Google street views to see the place where it all happened.

I let it go after that, I have this thing about the blood loss on found treasure so the hunt was worth enough for me.

Cache and probably most treasure stories you hear are like the old kids game, where one person tells the next one a short story, and they in turn tell the next one in line, and so on and so on. By the time you get to the last person in line, the story has become so convoluted that it's no where near what the original one was.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread