1893 wells fargo boxes lost in Ca. creek

nuggetman

Greenie
Dec 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this article in an old newspaper archive. The stage that delivered mail between Merced and Mariposa, Ca. was wrecked trying to ford a creek 4 miles outside Hornitos, Ca. The stage driver drowned and horses barely recovered from the waters. It goes on to say that the mail and wells fargo boxes were swept away by the water. I believe it's possible they are still burried in the creek somewhere near Hornitos....

Here is a link to article

https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a...---en--20--1--txt-txIN-Hornitos+flood-------1

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I never found Northrup's Creek; have you? I'm guessing it is between the 18 miles from Mariposa to Hornitos on the Old Toll Road.
You may wish to contact the Mariposa Museum and History Center (209) 966-2924 for more information--including asking them for info on how to contact the local historian-- if the Museum personnel don't have your answer.
Don...
PS: Welcome to TreasureNet !!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you find it keep quiet cause Wells Fargo will take it away

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Hornitos 1914 Map.jpg

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

OP
OP
N

nuggetman

Greenie
Dec 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Burns creek for sure....at the third crossing from Hornitos...Does anyone happen to know any property owners in the area? I know it's all private land and would like to get permission to search the creek with a detector.

MadTom

Dec 6, 2016
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Bandido umax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check local laws. You may be legal if you stay in the creek. I know some states have that for fishing rights. Just getting there might be a problem without permission

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I read the newspaper articles and it to me it sounds much more like a stage driver doing his best to stay on schedule and making a poor decision to continue on.

I'm sure there was a lot of pressure to keep on going - particularly with a fortune in the box.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't really state what was inside the boxes

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Bass:

You are correct! I was thinking of another treasure story when I wrote that.

My apologies for the error.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Bass

Silver Member
Jan 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I didn't mean that in the wrong way. I'm sure there was some goodies inside but they never stated what exactly

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Bass:

Thanks for your post! It certainly wasn't taken the wrong way. I appreciate it! I enjoy being correct. If I make a mistake I find it helpful to have it pointed out I have more questions than answers (and, according to some people, more opinions than facts).

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Curtis

Sep 3, 2008
Cincinnati
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about anything that survived in the boxes would be very valuable ..even mail!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread