Coyote Mountains and Fisk Creek area

desertmansd

Sep 10, 2012
San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New to the form as a poster but been a reader on and off for a while. Just retired from the service after 24 years and looking to devoting some of my time to exploring the Desert east of San Diego.

I've been out and about in the area quite a bit but never really got out and explored on foot too much (more than 1/2 from my vehicle). I especially interested in exploring more of the Coyote Mountains around the Ocotillo area. Been out that several times on day trips and a few over nighters and the area really has me wondering what else lies within that small range of hills. I dont see a lot of information on the area other than what comes up from desertusa or wikipedia.
A short story about a camping trip I went on in that area. I had been camping in the hills and it was late in the afternoon when I started seeing a border patrol helo combing the area so I decided I did want to be part of what ever was going on and was on my way down from Marble peak when I came across a border patrol agent. I ask WTF was going on and he said they were looking for 3 guys on foot (illegals) that were supposed to be in the area. Now I really cant imagine anybody wanting to cross those mountains on foot but I wasn't arguing. We were both talking when i turn and looked to the west (looking at the eastern slope of the mountains, north of Painted gorge), when up on the hill (not even 1/4 mile) I saw what looked like a cave. I broke out the binos and tried to make better sense of what my eyes were telling me but it still looked like a cave. Way to high on the side of the mountain to try to get to it that day so had to leave it behind. The agent saw it to a remarked that he never saw it before. I still know the area and will try to make that trip this fall.

Another area I want to have a good look into is the Fish Creek mountains around the Barret canyon area. i know part of it lies with in the CIA so max caution on that one. I've heard of a canyon in that area called "haunted canyon" but cant find a whole lot of info on the interwebz. :>

Thanks

DM

Last edited:

Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks a little too far for me but good luck! Careful around that cave, could be a border jumper hideout.

Chisos

Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Illegals are just trying for a better life. There goal is the city, but may use the cave for a day or two. Carry a weapon because you are in rough country, if there is one cave there are more, you may find anything, it sounds like a great adventure, I wish you good luck, I have heard of Ghost canyon and seem to remember a thread on this website. I just saw it a week or so ago somewhere and since ghosts don't need treasure it's all yours.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread