Gimmie The Loot

Bronze Member
May 11, 2010
Driftwood, TX
Detector(s) used
etrac, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've hunted them, and haven't had any problems. But ...... perhaps I didn't ask enough questions, of enough archies or desk bound bureaucrats? I would think as long as you stayed clear of obvious historic monuments. And, of course, don't parade yourself in front of bored rangers (but the same can be said of even the most innocuous city sand box anywhere).

There should be a site about the park, and a link to the state rules. The Rangers will help if you email or call. It is not allowed in the State Parks where I live. I would ask before you get a ticket and loose your detector.

casca, I would be careful about asking rangers with an email or a call as you say. I know it sounds logical to do that .... (I mean.... who better to ask ..... than the authority/entity themselves?? doh!). But an un-intended consequence can happen when we md'rs do this: This goes for other levels of govt. as well: city, county, etc.... You can find yourself a "no". Because the desk-bound person finds something to morph to apply to your pressing question, that he feels applies. Like: don't disturb the earthworms, or cultural heritage verbage, or things about "collecting" (which were meant to stop someone from thinking they could bring their truck and harvest all the sand or tanbark, etc...).

But the odd thing is in a lot of those cases, is they can be parks, or beaches, or whatever, that were and are just detected, at will, and no one ever cares. So all you effectively do in those cases, is preclude yourself from a place you could have just gone. And worse yet, that same LEO or ranger or desk-person ........ guess what will happen the next time they see another md'r out in the park? (who perhaps they'd never have paid mind to): They'll remember the earlier inquiry and think "aha, there's on of them!" and start booting others. This actually happened at a state park near me here in CA, where none of us had ever had a problem before. Then one day someone took it upon themselves to ask at the kiosk "can I?". The confused clerk looked too and fro through their literature, books, etc... and didn't have an answer. So they call headquarters, and talk to multiple persons there. Eventually they return to the window and tell the guy "no". Well guess what happened? After that, others of us got booted (no, no tickets casca, imagine that). At first we didn't know why this was a policy now, until we met the newbie a few weeks later, who told us of how he'd gone and asked. We did the math with the calendar, and realized it was him that started this new practice/policy there.

So ....... no ...... don't go asking bored bureaucrats "can I?". Instead, look it up for oneself. If you see nothing specifically saying "no metal detectors", then presto, there's your answer.

Hey Tom - I agree with you 100%. If it's not plainly written I will not ask the desk jockies. No need to bring it up if not needed. I'm in Tucson, AZ tonight... tomorrow is the home stretch!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back