Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poorhunter78 said:
Where did the first shots take place in the Civil war? :icon_scratch:

That would be Fort Sumter, unless you are talking about the flag incident in Alexandria, VA where Elmer Ellsworth was shot for trying to remove a Confederate flag. :tongue3:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GaDigger81 said:
Abraham Lincoln's brother in law was a Confederate General, what battle did he get killed in?

General Helm killed at the Battle of Chickamauga

It helped to have read "Little Known Facts of The Civil War" :laughing9:

P.S. I did know his name but I had to look up what battle he died in :laughing7: I'll take 1/2 credit

It is a great book, and I have to get a hardcover edition one day. That book is chock full of interesting tidbits of the Civil War.

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
spartacus53 said:
GaDigger81 said:
Abraham Lincoln's brother in law was a Confederate General, what battle did he get killed in?

General Helm killed at the Battle of Chickamauga

It helped to have read "Little Known Facts of The Civil War" :laughing9:

P.S. I did know his name but I had to look up what battle he died in :laughing7: I'll take 1/2 credit

It is a great book, and I have to get a hardcover edition one day. That book is chock full of interesting tidbits of the Civil War.

You are correct!! :headbang:

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poorhunter78 said:
spartacus53 said:
poorhunter78 said:

That would be Fort Sumter, unless you are talking about the flag incident in Alexandria, VA where Elmer Ellsworth was shot for trying to remove a Confederate flag. :tongue3:
I have always heard the first fighting took place in WV. :dontknow:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poorhunter78, maybe that was a fist fight. :laughing9:

I'm still looking for answers on my first 2 questions, before I add more :tongue3: There are 100's of interesting facts surrounding the Civil War and it would be fun to discuss them.

Like trying to get the number of woman who fought with men and were never noticed to be a female.. I think there was one exception, she had to stop fighting due to her pregnancy. ;D

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poorhunter78 said:
poorhunter78 said:
spartacus53 said:
poorhunter78 said:

spartacus53 said:

I'm still looking for answers on my first 2 questions, before I add more :tongue3: There are 100's of interesting facts surrounding the Civil War and it would be fun to discuss them.

Like trying to get the number of woman who fought with men and were never noticed to be a female.. I think there was one exception, she had to stop fighting due to her pregnancy. ;D
Sorry Spart I meant: I have always heard the FIRST SHOTS took place in WV. :icon_scratch: :coffee2:

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
poorhunter78 said:
poorhunter78 said:
spartacus53 said:
poorhunter78 said:

Couldn't be West Virginia, the State didn't exist until 1863.

joecoin

Aug 22, 2007
milan ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov, Garrett Antique
spartacus53 said:
Here are 2 quick and interesting questions, feel free to post your trivia questions too

1- What town in Virginia changed hands about 26 times

I'll guess Harpers Ferry.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
West Virginia was formed up as a state in 1863 during the civil war -- lincoln knew the election might be close-- electorial votes wize -- lincoln needed electrorial votes to be reelected as president --since Virginia was not fully under union control to give him their electorial votes --lincoln "made" the new state of "West Virginia" by carving off a chunk off Virginia that was " solidly under union control" to get their electorial votes for himself. :wink:

lincoln also tried to get Forida back under union control as well in early 1864 to get her electorial votes as well --it caused the battle of Olustee * the largest and most bloody of battles to happen in the civil war in Florida to occur .

Tallahassee was the only rebel state capitial east of the Mississippi not to surrender till after Robert E Lee surrendered * -- the Florida state flag backgroud color (white) --is the symbol of "unstained' valor" (we never surrendered ourselves -- the confederate govt in effect surrendered us)--the red stripes --the blood spilled by our men to keep the state of florida free -- the state seal of florida * is like a "center" breast plate .

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
joecoin, no.. I gave a clue the city begins with a "C" and is in Fairfax County, VA

ivan salis, you are right about FL, although it saw action, it pales in comparison to other states.. You may know if this is true too Ivan.. I heard that they found a whole cache of weapons in the walls of some fort in FL., I can't remember what the name of he fort was.. But I believe it was in the past 20 years, and apparently all the weapons were still in pristine condition too :dontknow:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an interesting and pretty easy one..

Who was the oldest man to fight at Gettysburg :dontknow:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
there is 200 single shot 69 caliber type springfeild confederate musket rifles buried some where near the old RR tracks near my home town of callahan , florida -(been on the hunt for em for some time)- they were taken by union trops during a raid on the town (july 17th ,1864)-- about 225 black troops commanded by major fox --100 foot / 125 calvary -- they found 2 flat cars with rail iron , 200 guns , 3000 paper "cartridges" and 2 kegs of gunpower -- being the union raiders had no wagon or means of easy transport they burnt the flat cars and destroyed the other stuff according to the "action" report filed ( most likely bent the gun barrels by hitting them against a tree or busted the trigger works and then buried the guns in a pit )

poorhunter78

Bronze Member
Jul 13, 2008
WV
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
poorhunter78 said:
poorhunter78 said:
poorhunter78 said:
spartacus53 said:
poorhunter78 said:

spartacus53 said:

Sorry Spart I meant: I have always heard the FIRST SHOTS took place in WV. :icon_scratch: :coffee2:
Thanks for clearing that up (Ivan)! I did not exactly know, That's why I use the word Heard. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are 2 quick and interesting questions, feel free to post your trivia questions too
The answers

1- What town in Virginia changed hands about 26 times

Centreville, VA

2- CSA Gen. Forrest has 2 interesting facts, plus a well know quote... Can you identify all 3

1- He had 29 horse shot out from under him during the Civil War
2- After the Civil War, he founded the KKK
3- the quote was "get there firstest with the mostest".

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
gen forrest also had a group of black "body guard" slaves that rode with him that he freed before the war ended , also he stated that if he were to be killed in battle that they were to be set free as well.

OP
OP
spartacus53

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forrest was also a great master and practitioner of the art of deception. There was one instance he ran into a Union force much greater than his, so what did he do. :dontknow: He knew if he fought, he would lose, retreat and then be at a disadvantage for a good defense. So he decided to march his troops in an oval, and the men would wear hats, take off jackets to appear different, and also be a larger force than they were. What the Union generals saw was one huge army and they back tracked :laughing7:
'
Forrest was our General Sun Tzu (The Art of War) Many of Forrest's tactics are textbook for our servicemen today

gadigger81

Apr 12, 2011
Trion, Ga
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATP
spartacus53 said:
Forrest was also a great master and practitioner of the art of deception. There was one instance he ran into a Union force much greater than his, so what did he do. :dontknow: He knew if he fought, he would lose, retreat and then be at a disadvantage for a good defense. So he decided to march his troops in an oval, and the men would wear hats, take off jackets to appear different, and also be a larger force than they were. What the Union generals saw was one huge army and they back tracked :laughing7:
'
Forrest was our General Sun Tzu (The Art of War) Many of Forrest's tactics are textbook for our servicemen today

Interesting, couldn't they see in the middle though? :dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread