spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you'll have much luck on aerial photographs themselves, but you might get lucky to see a picture of a balloon on the ground.. You have to remember that photography was still in its infancy and any movement with time lapse photography would be nothing more than an unrecognizable blob.

I'm not sure many artists even took the balloon as they were used for military observation, and I doubt civilians were able to get a joy ride :thumbsup:

But you could imagine if they were able to take pictures.. It would have been amazing to witness the troop movements, fortifications, and everything else related.

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
Spartacus53,
Thank you for your reply. The images are out there, but difficult to find. PAULLIN, William was dismissed from the balloon observation program for selling aerial photographs as a side line to his official duties... he had not been paid for several weeks and perhaps needed the income. He went on to become a professional photographer in Philadelphia. Somewhere out there are a trove of aerial photographs, in private collections, not to mention what is buried in library's and government archives.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hal Croves, that is interesting to say the least.. I'd love to see those photo's too.. I know that was a book on balloon observation corp, but I am not sure if it contained photos.. I have several sites that I have purchased books from and I can't remember which it was on e-bay... There was on store in WA I think, that had a ton of CW books, most at very reasonable prices.

I am still kicking myself too.. In NYC back in the 70's one antique store had an autographed book by General Longstreet for $25.00. Back then that was almost 1/2 a weeks pay :laughing7: Wish I had the chance to buy it now ;D

OP
OP
Hal Croves

Hal Croves

Silver Member
Sep 25, 2010
A miss for sure. I am hoping that someone will have an image to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread