Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I was at the Chickamauga/Chattanooga Battlefield and on Lookout Mountain a few years ago. While visiting there I learned that Orchard Knob where Grant was is no longer there. I don't know what is there now. Slomoe:coffee2:

It is still there downtown.Was Grant's view of the battle. It is a large knoll. We saw it tonight coming off the ridge cut.It's a park.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tnmountains , what are you calling Shallowford Gap ? I know Parker's , Igou , Julian , McDaniel , Standifer and Ringgold Gaps but I'm not sure what is called Shallowford ?

It is on all the maps. I have hunted it often. Cross shallow ford at the creek look left towards light foot mill below the cemetery. The foundation is in the creek. We water hunted it for years. Now if you find a horse shoe you are doing well.

OverKill

Jul 4, 2009
Dunlap , Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Heck Tnmountains. I comin over your place for a hunt, lol, I'm just around the corner,br right there ...

bluelodge

Dec 29, 2013
arkansas
Detector(s) used
white pro 800 garrett 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BELIEVE me THE SOUTH SHALL RISE AGAIN and it has already started...CSA

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here we go ! We are entering the 150 year since the major turning points in the CW/WNA this year - Our area in Georgia is truly the hotbed till Christmas of 2014 --- Less we never forget the suffering both sides troops went through and the historical area and actions that took place here Visit and hunt as much as you can before it is all a strip mall with a Dry Cleaners and Nail Salon

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Being as the South fired first that would make them the aggressors in any court in the world!! Throw the first punch and you're an aggressor, simple as that. South got whupped, get over it. The USA is better off without their sad reliance on slavery and bigotry. Yes, there were some smaller amounts of slavery in some northern areas but the whole northern economy and way of life was not based on it. You southern boys now at least get to reap the huge amount of cool relics left behind that we in the north whose ancestors bled as much as yours did don't.

:BangHead: Really!!!!!!!!!! It's nice when an uneducated Yankee sums up an entire way of life, and the entire SouthEastern United States with the words "sad reliance and bigotry".??? First of all, we all settled from mostly Europe and surrounding countries to what is now The United States. Yankees are, and have always been greedy, and in fact were the ones who pulled the Africans from their homeland to make money, free labor, and barter/trade from them. Most of the stronger settlers and descendants of Europe came through the coast Of Georgia, North and South Carolina, etc to settle the beautiful and graceful South. The North has always been bitter, barren, and greedy. Ready to suck up any and all natural resources. Once they wreck their economy, e.g.-Detroit and others, get tired of the extremely horrible winters, etc they migrate to the South infecting it's pureness with their Northern accents, bad habits, crime, poverty, criminal records, bad driving, little to no disregard for nature or land. I could go on and on. They say the heat, humidity, economy, crime, living arrangements, and God forbid our terrible unspeakable history is almost unbearable to them yet "The South" is the first place they run too. :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easy…… "Life is a garden". Some people just try to stir the pot. It is all good….

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TnMtns I was on your Shallowford Road and Lightfoot Mill Road a couple of days ago , scouting , wondering , could there still be a little patch of woods that hasnt been touched. .......you know , up high , close the gap , careful though... I would not trust a park ranger. They have become such left wing nut jobs , they are liable to lie and say you were inside the boundry. Then you up chit creek. It is a shame they hve abandoned the sherman reservation. its a real shame. That was the hardest fighting on the ridge and its difficult for the general public to see it. I aint walking up there without guns. And bunches of guns. That is very dangerous up there and if you parked a car there..well considered it broken into ...

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TnMtns I was on your Shallowford Road and Lightfoot Mill Road a couple of days ago , scouting , wondering , could there still be a little patch of woods that hasnt been touched. .......you know , up high , close the gap , careful though... I would not trust a park ranger. They have become such left wing nut jobs , they are liable to lie and say you were inside the boundry. Then you up chit creek. It is a shame they hve abandoned the sherman reservation. its a real shame. That was the hardest fighting on the ridge and its difficult for the general public to see it. I aint walking up there without guns. And bunches of guns. That is very dangerous up there and if you parked a car there..well considered it broken into ...

I think you are speaking of up around New York Ave below Shermans Reservation. I used to have a guy that let me hunt his place right beside the park but when I started finding stuff he made me leave. I also hunted the yard with the cannon across from it and below and it was a bust after 8 hours. Had a crack dealer guard my truck once as I parked on his corner. He had no idea what my metal detector was. I kept yelling to him if my truck was ok and he would yell back its all cool man I got ya,, hahaha Yeah it is rough in that area. Clebourne ruled that area… You have to be very very careful in those areas Roaddust. I am not going to lie. They find bodies dumped down there often and there seems to be a pit bull fighting area. I hunt it by water off light foot mill and found a few good places but they kinda played out after a few trips. Anything near water ( Chickamauga creek) has 10 feet of silt on it from flooding. I am always fascinated with that area but you really have to be careful. The park boundaries are very clear near Sherman but the land outside it is little parcels. The ridge is very good but few will let you hunt their 800,000.00 dollar yards. one area can be great and the next nothing. Same as anywhere. I am working on a new area that may produce a little. Any questions feel free to ask.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well here we go ! We are entering the 150 year since the major turning points in the CW/WNA this year - Our area in Georgia is truly the hotbed till Christmas of 2014 --- Less we never forget the suffering both sides troops went through and the historical area and actions that took place here Visit and hunt as much as you can before it is all a strip mall with a Dry Cleaners and Nail Salon

Citiboy
I am having fun kinda chasing these battles. I will hunt a little ways into Georgia and leave it up to you.

TnTom

Dec 27, 2013
Woodbury Tn
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was still very young our family moved to Florida from Iowa. I was coming home from my first day as a 5th grader in a new school. My brother and I were confronted with the question "Hey ya'll Yankees or Rebels?" Well lots of water has passed under the bridge Im nearer to 70 now living in middle Tn retired. One day on a business trip I passed through Chapel Hill Tn and passing the local town hall I saw in the front lawn a statue of General Nathan Bedford Forrest with the confederate flag flying high on one side of the statue and Old Glory on the other. Not far away is the statue of the same General along the I-65 on sitting atop his rarin' up horse sabre in hand surrounded with flags of the Confederacy. I doubt some things will ever change. No point to make other than sadly it happened. Whether or not we are wiser as a Nation because of or as a result of it happening really remains to be seen. I personally don't think so.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the people today are wiser but with information much more divided. There is nothing wrong with honoring history with monuments. By either side. The south is chocked full of monuments from the North because they could afford them. We would have a battle with triple the losses and we install a small plaque. Remember to the victor went the spoils and such was the case in this war. It is also important that people understand the history especially if you enjoy hunting it. I suggest everyone read Sec of war Stanton with his dealings between Lincoln and Grant. His thoughts in the field on what he was seeing. It was very political on both sides with many men suffering for it.
Welcome to Tn Tom. Glad you choose us. :hello:

TnTom

Dec 27, 2013
Woodbury Tn
Detector(s) used
don't have one yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the welcome for sure. I've actually been in Tn now about 16 yrs and just love it. It is so rich in culture and history. I'm new to MD'ing still waiting to get my first detector, I'm sure before summer gets here. The battle grounds I understand left no county untouched and the rural community I live in saw many troops from both sides. Ive even found a cannon call and some lead bullets in my creek bed.
I have had the fortune to live as far north and west as Alaska and Ca but Im proud to say I'll be buried in Tn Actually my Dad and Uncle, Grandfather and Great Grandfather and his wife are all buried in the Veterans Cemetery in Chattanooga that I visited just last summer for the first time. The section of the cemetery dedicated to the Civil War made my jaw drop when I saw the numbers buried there . Tn has so much to be proud of. Im proud to be a small a part of it. Good hunting.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an opinion on TNTOM post - The fact is that while the period was the bloodiest times in American history , it is proudest part of American History, you can travel anywhere in the US and find monuments to those who fell or took part in the action on either side, unlike todays heros
When I lived in rural northern NY the local cemetery was full of stones indicating those who died in the conflict. There was a LT who died at Kennesaw MT with the 150 NY VOL's whose parents were of wealth and were able to have him shipped back north and buried under a huge stone, reading Killed at Kennesaw Mt, GA. There were countless stones from people who served and made it back home with their units and battles marked on the stone.
Since at that time having the body brought home was a huge expense for farm folks some stones just had an persons name, marked MISSING ( such and such date ) and the unit.
The stone I remember most was a small headstone ( not of professional quality ) the read the persons name, and " lost at sea on a GUNBOAT off the coast of Alabama " interesting that a farm boy from Rural NYS , who had most likely never seen the , died at sea.
As Ken Burns says in his book, These were simple folks , who never traveled more that 15 miles from their home towns , but realized after the war that there was a whole country out there , because they had walked through it,
Today we don't build monuments or place any importance on those who served in actions, It is only yesterdays news and no one has any interest but those of us here, Such an shame!
So accept the monuments as a sign that those who lived during that era respected those who served and wanted to show their respect . Makes no difference what you call it , Either the CW or WNA , those who served are the foundation of our history

Last edited:

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One last thought on the Topic of monuments , The Union State monuments at battle sites I don't think they were ment to be considered " markers of possession " by those who erected them. since all were paid for by the vets themselves. They should be viewed as a marker that shows " we made a stand here during this engagement " for those to know in future years who made the sacrifices. there leaving a lasting marker of their location,

NoBootyYet

Dec 3, 2013
Birmingham, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am over it and it was not about slavery. I can tell you know nothing about history from your post. It was about states rights individual states rights. I enjoy digging the relics. Thank you.
Here are just a few from that battle on that specific day.

View attachment 905401

Whatever the reason for the war, ending that type of slavery is a good thing right?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread