Upvote 0

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No matter what side or what we refer the conflict as , During the next year begins the most historical period for the TN/GA area

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes as of right now the army was at Shallowford Gap on the way to Tyner station. Historical was Chickamauga the second largest battle behind Gettysburg.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes as of right now the army was at Shallowford Gap on the way to Tyner station. Historical was Chickamauga the second largest battle behind Gettysburg.

You live in a great area for artifacts from the War of Northern Aggression...

We will NOT go quitely into the night!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
War of northern agression huh? I've always thought it funny that Mexican authors titled their books about the U.S. Mexican War that or the War of Yankee Agression. Guess they both work...

surf

Silver Member
Jan 10, 2013
Detector(s) used
seeing eye shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Aggressors on Missionary Ridge:

union-artilery-on-missionary-ridge.jpg

missridge.jpg Battle of Missionary Ridge

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being as the South fired first that would make them the aggressors in any court in the world!! Throw the first punch and you're an aggressor, simple as that. South got whupped, get over it. The USA is better off without their sad reliance on slavery and bigotry. Yes, there were some smaller amounts of slavery in some northern areas but the whole northern economy and way of life was not based on it. You southern boys now at least get to reap the huge amount of cool relics left behind that we in the north whose ancestors bled as much as yours did don't.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being as the South fired first that would make them the aggressors in any court in the world!! Throw the first punch and you're an aggressor, simple as that. South got whupped, get over it. The USA is better off without their sad reliance on slavery and bigotry. Yes, there were some smaller amounts of slavery in some northern areas but the whole northern economy and way of life was not based on it. You southern boys now at least get to reap the huge amount of cool relics left behind that we in the north whose ancestors bled as much as yours did don't.

6 days before Fort Sumter was fired on South Carolina succeeded from the union. On April 11 Confederate officers rowed to the fort and asked commanding officer to leave the fort, that they could keep their arms and fly their colors. Officer stated they would be starved out in couple days but could not surrender.

On April 12 Ft Sumpter South Carolina was fired on and War started.

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1849a.jpg
Where in the lower Hudson Valley I used to live there that area is a GOLD MINE of relics ------ There is a lot of stuff here problem is so much has been lost to expansion and development it is a pity so much will never be found and has been paved over But its still HISTORY and HISTORY has no political sides in my mind ! Locating and preserving it is what is IMPORTANT

RINGOLD GA SUMMER 2013

Attachments

• 1849d.jpg
    1849d.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 168

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typical Aggressor talk.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I am over it and it was not about slavery. I can tell you know nothing about history from your post. It was about states rights individual states rights. I enjoy digging the relics. Thank you.
Here are just a few from that battle on that specific day.

photo copy 6.JPG

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Treasure Hunter:

Why would the commander of the fort surrender? Without a shot being fired? I would expect he would have been hauled before a court martial for abandoning his post.

I've read the US Constitution a number of times. There's language about a state entering the Union - nothing about a state leaving.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is funny how one word brings out the best in people. Aggression was used because peoples houses and lands and crops and cities were occupied and destroyed. There is not a county in Tennessee that did not see a battle. To the people living here it was considered aggression. It was war.

Wilders Tower
Chickamauga,Ga

100_3830.JPG

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Hey Richard,

Man, to have that kind of history right out the back door is an awesome thing.
Would like to see some of your relics in some close up pics.
I have told the tale many times of the items you blessed me with.
Many thanx and have a great thanksgiving.

Brent

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I don't want to start a war either but you are absolutely correct in that most people do not know their civil war history. Being a proud descendant of several Confederate soldiers and member of the SCV I have been reading the true history of the war and not what people today are trying to change. Yes it was a horrible event that happened but it could have been prevented. Lee actually went to Washington to try to discuss a way to prevent a possible war. He was highly admired by both sides and Lincoln even asked him to be the Commander of the Northern Army. Lee replied that he could not and would not ever command for an army that seeks war on its own country. So he then went back to Virginia to support his state. Most Confederates fought for their state and not for slavery. It was a much different time back then as it is now so history must be viewed as it was back then and not now. The war was not fought over slavery. Yes southern states were slave states but with the cotten gin being invented the cotton fields were soon going to be done by machine. And during the entire war slave ships were still being unloaded in New York and slaves were still sold there. And most people do not know that the first American to own a slave was a black man named Anthony Johnson. Google if you do not believe me. And yes they do not teach that in our history today. And most people also do not know that several blacks fought for the Confederacy because it was their state as well. Most were treated much better than those in the Northern army. I just wish people would know more about the war before they make any comments. You can tell who was educated by teachers who taught their students what they wanted to hear and not what actually happened. Sad that even though it was a terrible event in American History it is not taught correctly to our children and they grow up believing it. And the Confederate flag is not a symbol of slavery. For years it was flown by every southern state. At ball games it was proudly flown to show people where we are from. And why wasn't the Dukes of Hazzard banned from television? It would be today. Our society has changed so much and I will not buckle down and support those who elect to change history. I am proud of my ancestors and will speak for them to honor our heritage. I know a lot of you northern people are going to attack me for this but we all have our freedom of speech. At least that is one thing that has not been taken away from us.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Tnmountains:

A poor excuse. The Confederate army did precisely the same thing. Calling it The War of Northern Aggression will only continue to keep open wounds that should have healed a hundred years ago.

If many of the men who actually fought in that war can get over it, it makes no sense at all that one hundred and fifty years later people still get stirred up about it. Happily, we don't live in Bosnia.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
treasurehound:

You wrote: "Yes southern states were slave states but with the cotten gin being invented the cotton fields were soon going to be done by machine."

The cotton gin cleaned seeds from cotton - it had nothing to do with the required work in the field to grow cotton. That invention kept slavery alive.

"And during the entire war slave ships were still being unloaded in New York and slaves were still sold there."

The importation of slaves was banned by the US Constitution well before the Civil War began. As for the first slave owner being Black, so what?

The economic engine of the South was slavery. Poor whites, forced to the margins of economic life because they couldn't work in agriculture which was the only industry in the South, fought and died in the War to preserve a way of life that wasn't in their own interests. After the draft was introduced in the North people said "It's a rich man's war but a poor man's fight." That was true in the South for the start.

The War didn't start to free the slaves. But the War was over economic interests, and the engine of the Southern economy was slavery.

A few Blacks did fight for the Confederacy towards the end of the War. Some were promised their freedom if they did so. Many Black soldiers who fought for the North were murdered by the Confederates after they were captured.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lincoln offered the South a compromise. If the Confederate States returned to the Union he would see a bill was passed that would preserve slavery in the South.

From his first insurance address

******Confederate Heritage Fund
**************P. O. Box 771
****Andalusia, Alabama 36420

Abraham Lincoln Endorses*
Permanent Slavery Amendment
WASHINGTON (CHF) *- *In his first Inaugural Speech, on March*
4, 1861, President Abraham Lincoln approved a Constitutional*
Amendment that would guarantee permanent slavery in the*
United States.

Lincoln stated in first Inaugural speech,

"I understand a proposed amendment to the Constitution has*
passed Congress, to the effect that the Federal Government*
shall never interfere with the domestic institutions of the States,*
including that of persons held to service. *Holding such a*
provision to now be implied constitutional law, I have no*
objection to its being made express and irrevocable."

President Lincoln even supported a thirteenth amendment then passed by Congress that would guarantee slavery in all the existing slave states.

The*Permanent Slavery Amendment that Lincoln endorsed was*
passed on March 2, 1861 by a vote of over 66% of both*Houses of the U. S. Congress, after most Southern States had withdrawn from the United States and had formed their own*nation, the Confederate States of America.

If ratified by 3/4 of the States, this Northern sponsored*Constitutional Amendment would prevent the federal*government from ever abolishing or interfering with slavery in any State in the United States.

If the Southern States wanted slavery protected forever, then all*
they would have to do is return to the Union and ratify this*
Constitutional Amendment.

The South turned down the deal to return to Union because it was about States rights not just slavery....

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Treasure Hunter:

By the times the Southern states had decided to try to leave the Union, it was bit late for a compromise.

The War Between the States had deep economic roots - and the economic engine of the South was slavery. Many Southern states had ruined their farm land - slavery had to expand West in order for the agricultural economy (based on cotton and, to a lesser extend, tobacco) to survive.

What was all that fighting in Kansas and Missouri? "States rights" or whether those territories would be slave or free?

I would not contend that, in the beginning, the War was over freeing the slaves. That came later. There can't be serious doubt the War had economic causes. The "states rights" veneer served to bring people to The Cause.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee TNMOUNTAIN only posted a historical fact about his property and his link to history and searching results I hate to see it become a political debate Cant we take that political aspect somewhere else?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions