Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this button in a cornfield close to home. It was very close to 2 civil war bullets. The back reads "BEST EXTRA" and "HAYDENS" .....well appears as though and the other letters are barely readable. The front is totally gone however you can just make out some gold gilt. Its size is about the size of a Nickel coin. Looks like an average flat button but you never know. Some one else from a club I go to found a button almost identical. same deal he found his with some civil war bullets. Thanks for the help.

20140124_165909.jpg 20140124_165951.jpg 20140124_170033.jpg

Upvote 0

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closest information i can find on it is K&Haydens Waterbury Conn.I am gonna go out on a limb and say it dates about 1825-40 period.I cant seem to find any backmarks with just Hadens co.From what i can see anyway it just says Hadens co Best Extra Rich.I think there where many Haydens that worked with the Waterbury company.Nice find and backmark is in good shape.I am surprized it has any gilt left for coming out a cornfeild,because of fertilizer and all.If i learn something more i will let ya know

Last edited:
OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome thanks for the help and ya I know. I pulled some pennies out of the same field and boy are they green and crusty. Interesting fact though is that almost everything was found within 3 inches of the surface even the bullets which suggests that the field hasn't been plowed or tore up in 155 years. It was hard as hell to. Actually broke my shovel. I'm happy I saved everything though cause right now there are foundations for homes right where I found everything. It was an 18 acre field and I cleaned it out in a week and a half. It was hot as hell and also August.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The combination of Virginia soil plus farm fertilizers certainly isn't very kind to buttons. Unusual backmark for sure. In addition to what DigIron2 has correctly pointed out, consider also Hayden Gregg & Co who began out of Charleston SC in 1838 as jewelers and miltary goods dealers (McGuinn&Bazelon red book refers) No definitive reference to your backmark, but bear in mind that there were variations in backmarks not mentioned. Example, I have a 2 piece SC with an Eyeland & Hayden Charleston backmark not mentioned in the red book, but no doubt it was their button. Food for thought.

Recently I began displaying my flat buttons with unusual backmarks backside up. If you have not considered the same with yours it certainly deserves such a presentation.

OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug : Thank you for the tip. Glad to hear it is rare. LOVE that idea for the buttons. Many of my flat buttons are bare on the front but very decorative on the back.

VBFD53

Greenie
Sep 1, 2013
Va Beach, Va
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dug one yesterday in southeast va where 9 other eagle buttons have been dug,including confederate officers coat button,says Haydens Co best extra Rich,the eagle on the front is hard to see in the photo but is there I have an 1812 iii regt officers button that was dug about 10 feet away on top of a hill, and the eagles look the same a long skinny neck facing to the right and out strechted wings the eagle looks like the one on the silver officers 1812 button photohaydens front2.JPG haydens eagle.JPG haydens front.JPG 1812 us button.JPG

OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG. That is to cool I can definitely confirm that that is the same exact wording on the back. I have a couple other things for you though. What is the diameter of your button? Mine fits JUST under the diameter of a U.S. Nickel. Which way is the eagle oriented? For example if I wear to turn the back of the button so that the " B " in " BEST " is perfectly perpendicular to me like I am reading it, then turn it over, how does the eagle look then? upside down, sideways, right side up, perfectly oriented????? That would be much help in trying to make out the eagle. Man I am so happy. Its my birthday today and you may have just confirmed my first and only civil war button!!!!! I found it back in August!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread