Found Civil War Relics

Bossgobbler23

Oct 24, 2004
Mid-Michigan
Here is what my father and I found on our first ever civil war relic hunt. Thanks for those of you who helped with my questions prior to going. These items were found with permission from land owner. We detected a site very close to the Cold Harbor battlefield. I do not know anything about the buttons. The button 2nd from right is flat on the front but appears to have gold plating on the back and says "WASHINGTON" on it. The one on the far right says "Barling & Wambold". I do not know if the last one is from a civil war uniform or civillian. There was a house site close by.There is also an iron key of some type. If anyone can help in identifying any of these I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• Civil War Relics07.jpg
    Civil War Relics07.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 5,470
  • Civil War Button Back.jpg
    Civil War Button Back.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 998
  • Civil War Button Front.jpg
    Civil War Button Front.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 881
Upvote 0

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
The one 2nd from left is a standard pewter type button, I find them every now and again, probably civilian.
The next to last one on the right is possibly a button back, meaning the actual decorative part has come seperated and all that was left is the back and shank. I find those all the time too.
The last one is what appears to be an underwear button.

Fantastic amount of 3-ringers!
A few round balls there too. The little tiny one is a buck-n-ball, kind of like buckshot that was loaded with the round balls.

By "iron key of some type" I assume you mean the key hole. You will find those all the time more than likely. Came off of old locks and carpet bags that have long since turned to rot.

trk5capt

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2005
Charleston S.C.
Boss, Very Nice Haul For Your First Time, Congrats And Best Of Luck. trk5capt..

Attachments

• 54br70.gif
    54br70.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,918
  • cwcannon.gif
    cwcannon.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,491
  • 54br70.gif
    54br70.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 1,953
  • cwcannon.gif
    cwcannon.gif
    4.9 KB · Views: 1,491

brnn53

Mar 31, 2006
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug, Tejon, T2 LTD, F75, & Nautilus DMC II B
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Really nice first time finds! Keep going back!
Mike :)

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have you some very nice finds there. I am finding the same stuff here on the Peninsula. I tell you that is not shabby at all for one hunt. Keep it up!!!!

SHANEDIRTY

Tenderfoot
Sep 2, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The hammer was actually a wrench at one point.
They were modified to be used as artillery hammers. Setting fuses or fuse adapters onto shells or cannon balls

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great bunch of finds indeed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread