Elmira NY Civil War Prison Camp

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
LOCATION OF THE PRISON CAMP 265

in May, 1864, at what had been called NO. 3 barracks, the ground it occupied, about thirty acres in extent, being on the western confines of the city of Elmira lying between Water street and the river. The northeast corner of the premises was a few hundred feet west of what is now Hoffman street and thirty or forty feet south from Water street. The fence along the northern boundary, built of twelve-foot boards standing upright, ran for about 1000 feet west from this corner, keeping at the stated distance from Water street. Nearly opposite to what has long been known as the Foster House ' were the main gates to the premises, great wide, high, thick, heavy structures that swung open and shut with many a growl and snarl. just at their side to the west was a small narrow gate for those on foot. In front of these gates and at their sides or near them, night and day, were numerous United States soldiers, some of them on guard duty, others waiting to serve at the same, others there for companionship or gossip. A wooden pathway two or three feet wide, with a hand rail built up on stilts on the outside of the fence and close to it high enough for the sentry who constantly paced along it to have a clear view of the interior, ran along the north side. There were sentry boxes at intervals along this pathway, and also flights of steps here and there to the ground. A fence similar In height with a like pathway for the guard ran south from the corner named in rather an uneven and irregular course, over the outlet to the pond inside, down to the bank of the river for a distance of about 800 feet. On the west side also the fence ran from the northern line down to the river bank, the distance being about 1000 feet.

There are broad fields now under cultivation on this spot, one of the most fertile and favorably situated in the whole valley, with here and there a dwelling or a newly opened street. Every vestige of the situation as it was now nearly thirty years ago has disappeared, and the busy military- looking scene is changed to one as peaceful and quiet as are the cattle grazing in the meadows or the calm sheet of water shining still and placid tinder the summer sun.

http://www.rootsweb.com/~srgp/military/prison.htm

Attachments

• Elmira Civil War Prison.jpg
    Elmira Civil War Prison.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 986
Upvote 0

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My parents own a house that is right about in the center of this camp. We haven't found a whole lot, one button and an old lock. The prisoners actually dug Fosters pond, they live right next to it.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
That is so cool. Do you think you could post some pics of what this looks like now. I would love to see the area. Have you hunted this area alot? House olkd is the parents home?
Thanks

MichaelB

Aug 13, 2005
Mobile Bay, Alabama
My GGGF was captured at Fort Fisher and was taken to Elmira as a POW. After release, he became a Pastor and founded the First Baptist Church at Old Dock, NC.

MichaelB

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I forgot about taking those pics but maybe I'll do that tomorrow since I'm going there anyways. Another bit of info for you that you might find interesting. Durring the civil war there was a black man by the name of John Jones. After the prisoners died, it was his job to load the bodies in his wagon/cart and take it to what is now woodlawn cemetery. He kept records of all the people he burried. There's actually a story of 1 or possibly 2 soldiers that faked death and escaped while John Jones was transporting them. There are markers for John Jones that I will also try to get pictures of. Woodlawn cemetery is the largest in Elmira. This is also where Hal Roach, Ernie Davis and Samuel Clemens/Mark Twain are burried. Wish me luck, I just placed a bid on a house yesterday that is located right near the cemetery. It was built in 1890 and I'm sure there are plenty of hidden treasures just waiting to be found. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread