Large Confederate Gold Caches Found

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
Should I ever find a large amount of gold, I would first consult with my CPA. I need to know the tax issues, not the legal issues. The legal issues are taken care of prior to excavating any particular site.
EXACTLY....
That was the entire motivation behind the reporting of the 5,000,000. northern California American Eagle hoard, (reportedly just barely under a year from its actual discovery.)

In that case doing the obvious "smart" thing would have been a 10 year Felony.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
folks often "puff up" the value of gold "treasure coins" way above their actual worth in gold and the basic coin collector value as well combined --almost to the point it would be worth it to get lower grade gold coins and "claim" they were found treasure coins to "blow up their value"...

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
How does 1,000 gold coins end being worth $5 Million Dollars? They should have reported $20 Thousand dollars found which is face value. The gold is not worth a huge amount until it is sold?

I'll tell you how, They could very easily have reported face value, (Not really, but I don't think a tax court would have sent them to prison)
They sent them to be appraised instead. The appraiser started issuing "advice" and then a "tax" attorney got involved for "consultation".
I think they were blackmailed into a high commission auction they hadn't originally planned, and in a last minute twist, simply reported a full value scenario, then donated the majority stake to charity before liquidating it to spite the third parties waiting on the side line.
The whole circumstance is very arguable. They found it on their estate etc etc........

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gold was temporarily stored at the Iron Bank by William H. Young. On October 11, 1862, General P.G.T. Beauregard was ordered to take the gold from Young's bank in Columbus. Young refused to release it, but was compelled to do so by force. According to Beauregard's biography, "What became of that coin is a mystery."[SUP][1]
[/SUP]

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That $18,483 ending up being over $5 Million face value. The total is from $3 to $40 Trillion Dollars.

HAHAHAHA! Did you just dream that? You never found it the first time and you still don't have a single gram of gold. Just more dreams.

kayakpat

Mar 31, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can donate it to the "Makemyretirementeasy fund" and I will give you charity receipt to get a nice tax deduction.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By using this site, you agree you have read, understand, and will abide by the following terms and conditions....

[SIZE=+1] IN GENERAL[/SIZE]​
TreasureNet is about treasure hunting, metal detecting and prospecting. We expect our members to post messages generally related to these main topics. While we do provide some more generic forums, like Favorite Music, Today's Snapshot, etc., the general subject of TreasureNet is treasure, and treasure hunting. Thank you for helping us keep our content on topic.

Help keep the atmosphere at TreasureNet fun! Sniping, name calling, denegration and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!

Read all !!! : TreasureNet - Rules

AUTHENTICITY

1. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible, regardless of proof, to state or suggest in an open forum that another member's find may not be genuine— unless, of course, he has raised that possibility himself, or there is an obvious issue that cannot be disputed or ignored (for example, if the word "COPY" is clearly stamped on a coin).

2. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible to suggest that a member may not actually have found the item which he has posted as a find.

Read ALL !!! : TreasureNet - Real Or Fake?

Failure to follow these guidelines may result in censure, loss of privileges &/or access to certain forums, or outright banning from TreasureNet.

Please don't make us enforce this Rule :(

Last edited:

ikesdad

Jun 23, 2010
Colorado
25285891.jpg

Mud Hut

Silver Member
Apr 23, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By using this site, you agree you have read, understand, and will abide by the following terms and conditions....

[SIZE=+1] IN GENERAL[/SIZE]​
TreasureNet is about treasure hunting, metal detecting and prospecting. We expect our members to post messages generally related to these main topics. While we do provide some more generic forums, like Favorite Music, Today's Snapshot, etc., the general subject of TreasureNet is treasure, and treasure hunting. Thank you for helping us keep our content on topic.

Help keep the atmosphere at TreasureNet fun! Sniping, name calling, denegration and other generally negative or abusive actions are grounds for moderation. In extreme cases grounds for banning!

Read all !!! : TreasureNet - Rules

AUTHENTICITY

1. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible, regardless of proof, to state or suggest in an open forum that another member's find may not be genuine— unless, of course, he has raised that possibility himself, or there is an obvious issue that cannot be disputed or ignored (for example, if the word "COPY" is clearly stamped on a coin).

2. It is NEVER appropriate or permissible to suggest that a member may not actually have found the item which he has posted as a find.

Read ALL !!! : TreasureNet - Real Or Fake?

Failure to follow these guidelines may result in censure, loss of privileges &/or access to certain forums, or outright banning from TreasureNet.

Please don't make us enforce this Rule :(

Why was my post deleted? It fell well within TreasureNet's guidelines. All, I said was this thread was hilarious ..and it is! Is there something wrong with saying that?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
The gold was temporarily stored at the Iron Bank by William H. Young. On October 11, 1862, General P.G.T. Beauregard was ordered to take the gold from Young's bank in Columbus. Young refused to release it, but was compelled to do so by force. According to Beauregard's biography, "What became of that coin is a mystery."[SUP][1]
[/SUP]
There is another version of the IRON BANK story, Beauregard's account is suspect, as with the other version.
Several CSA gold stories are mentioned on the LEGENDS/CSA treasury thread.

Hitndahed

Dec 4, 2014
Deep in the woods in South Central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ7 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I ever find a large amount of gold, I would first consult with my CPA. I need to know the tax issues, not the legal issues. The legal issues are taken care of prior to excavating any particular site.
======================================================================
GUARANTEED,,, If I ever found anything large enough to affect retirement,,, I would just vanish,,
LMAO
Hit

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread