Pin 3.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 111
Upvote 0

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmmmmm.
CBG?

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Because my help has been requested, I should mention that I spend almost all my time on TreasureNet in the What-Is-It forum, which is the best place to post ID-requests.

This pin is not a Military-issue insignia. I believe it is a Civil War Veterans Organization reunion pin. The 1886 US Patent dates on its back mean it was made sometime between that year and 17 years later, when those Patents expired.

More specifically, I think it is a yankee Artillery Battery reunion pin. The very-curved sword on the crossed cannons is an Artillery Officer sword, not a cavalry sword. I would have guessed the pin was the top part of a "medal" sort of Veterans Reunion badge, having a ribbon hanging below its brass body, but in the posted photos I can't see any attachment-form (loops or pinholes) on the underside of the pin.

I have not previously seen one like it, so the statements above are my "best guess." Hoping it's at least somewhat helpful.

Tejaas

Sep 8, 2012
TX Hill Country
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO ~ Propointer ~ Modified Lesche ~ Predator Little Eagle ~ Royal Picks ~ Marshalltown Trowels ~ Sift Tables/Screens
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is the 'header' portion of a Type 5 / Pattern 1886 GAR general membership badge.

Yours has the GAR encampment symbol on the back, we call these 'numbered varieties'.

If you look in the points of the star, you will see the cavalry crossed sabers, the naval anchor, the infantry hunting horn, the artillery crossed cannons,etc.

f60d995af7c64961b3c447d63d144366.jpg

~Tejaas~

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread