digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome aboard :icon_thumleft:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Mississippi river is flowing mud and the bottom is most likely a tangle of trees and garbage. Are you trained in commercial diving?

OP
OP
P

pattcatt

Feb 25, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trained, no. A self taught hobby, yes. I know my limits when diving so I can get by in the river in good conditions.

I figured I would find some maps of wrecks and track currents to nearby areas where detecting looks promising. I assume if I actually find an intact ship it would be long since looted.

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm around the Mississippi River in News Orleans and it a terrible idea to even go in the river around here. The undertows and currents are way way to dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Trained, no. A self taught hobby, yes. I know my limits when diving so I can get by in the river in good conditions....

It sounds like you've scuba dived in these areas before. And have experience in this type diving.

Then ... forgive me for the silly question .... but once you're under the water, with an underwater detector, .... is there really anyone around (like watching you or whatever), IN THE FIRST PLACE ? I mean, who's underwater to care ?

alabama11

Nov 23, 2015
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Frontiersman, Tesoro Ciboli , Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pin Pointer 2, Minelab Equinox 800, Panky.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good point truth. Safety first.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That river is nothing to play with. I assumed everyone knew that. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, the OP is self trained in SCUBA, so I'm sure he's ready to just jump right into the Ol' Miss like he claims. :dontknow:

treasuresalvor

Mar 14, 2011
Earth
Detector(s) used
A couple Sovereign's, Excalibur II, Eureka Gold, Falcon MD20, TM808, Sierra Madre, 5900 DIProsl, Garrett ADS III with Bloodhound, Fisher 1280x, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No Way. You might know your limits but the river can take you out at anytime.

GarbageCollector

Feb 23, 2016
Southwest GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No offense intended, Patt, but that sounds like a terrible idea. And I'm pretty sure anything in a waterway belongs to the state, unfortunately.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
No offense intended, Patt, but that sounds like a terrible idea. And I'm pretty sure anything in a waterway belongs to the state, unfortunately.

Well gee, don't stop there Garbage-Collector. The same can be said for ANY speck of land ANYWHERE. City parks, county parks, state parks, federal parks, etc.... It falls under the boiler plate obligatory language that dis-allows harvesting, collecting, taking, removing, etc..... Anything that's a natural feature of the park (and cultural heritage items, ie.: old coins) WOULD fall under that.

So gee, let's all stop detecting at all public land ?

Uaplumber23

Greenie
Jun 8, 2008
N. Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Self Taught" + Mississippi River = Disaster

Not only are you endangering yourself, but also the Public Safety Divers that will be recovering you. Take a diving class and get certified to start. The more you learn, the more you'll realize what you don't know.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grew up in MN. The state where the mighty Mississippi originates. You can literally step across the river at the headwaters area. That's about the only part of that river where I would ever get my feet wet.

mlutz

Dec 20, 2016
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Trained, no. A self taught hobby, yes. I know my limits when diving so I can get by in the river in good conditions.

I figured I would find some maps of wrecks and track currents to nearby areas where detecting looks promising. I assume if I actually find an intact ship it would be long since looted.

Take it from a retired US Navy Diver... Do not do it. The currents are miserable (Been there), visibility is zero, If you do not have a support vessel flying the correct flags (ALPHA) the coast guard will get you. No means of communication topside, no one will know if you get hung up. As stated above there is a jumbled up mess down there that once caught in, will be your grave. The current gets wicked. We didn't even mess with currents above 0.5 of a knot in SCUBA. We had other options (Surface Supplied). My vote= Bad idea.

I think that most, if not all, CW vessels that have sunk are protected sites. Much like the USS Monitor off the coast of NC.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about diving in the Mississippi around some sunken Confederate or Union Warship sites. Mainly I was wondering how legal this was, and if anyone had had negative or positive experiences doing this very thing.

Btw this is my first post so Hi everyone.

Love your Ambition ..
Welcome to the Site.

Now ill read the reply's.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well gee, don't stop there Garbage-Collector. The same can be said for ANY speck of land ANYWHERE. City parks, county parks, state parks, federal parks, etc.... It falls under the boiler plate obligatory language that dis-allows harvesting, collecting, taking, removing, etc..... Anything that's a natural feature of the park (and cultural heritage items, ie.: old coins) WOULD fall under that.

So gee, let's all stop detecting at all public land ?

Dang Tom!
Harsh (but just a tad).
The Garbageman dose IMO need to get out of the ( The Gov't) owns it all Mind set tho.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Op.
I think you have gotten some great advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread