Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Garrett AT PRO w/ 5x8" coil
Garrett Carrot,
GG Amphibian HP,
40"ground shark
Keene A52 Sluice box
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure hunting in Louisiana. I had learned about three Civil War battle sites in south central Louisiana while I was visiting my mom in New Iberia. They were: the Battle of Bisland, the Battle of Irish Bend and another smaller one near the town of Patterson. I also attended a talk from the author of the book Teche, A History of Louisiana's most Famous Bayou by Shane K. Bernard. He is the Cuator and Historian for the McIlhenny Company that makes Tobasco Sauce.
On this trip I learned so much more about our family history in the area and about the first settlers and pioneers of those early days. My own ties go back to 1791 but the original people that first explored the area were there around 1750. This area is so absolutely rich in cultural treasures. I of course went back to the first plantation named the Enterprise. It is still an active mill and the family business now owns and operates two more mills. Sterling in Franklin where the Battle of Irish Bend took place and lastly Raceland between Patterson and New Orleans. After visiting the Enterprise, I went over to my cousins house in Franklin. That antebellum house was built in 1851. I did some detecting in their yard before heading to the Irish Bend site. Around the time of the battle General Taylor of the Confederate army whom commanded the West Louisiana Army defended against a much larger force led by General Banks of the Union Army. There is a small museum located along the bayou dedicated to the civil war and battles that took place in the vicinity. The museum is called the Young — Sanders Center; for the study of the war between the states in Louisiana Inc.
They have a number of small arms including rifles pistols swords and artillery ammunition as well as a edition of a newspaper. The town once taken over by the union, they could not get any paper so it was printed on the back of wallpaper. At the battle of Irish Bend I managed to find a small pistol caliber bullet which may or may not be modern modern as well as some small gauge railway spikes and interesting large screws for the Rail road line that used to go through here and was also used to bring sugarcane to the mills. From what I understand that field had been highly metal detected by people in the area for quite some time so I was lucky to find what I did. I did also find a broken mule horse shoe and a ring off of a harness. It was insanely muddy out there. Louisiana is great for its sugar cane but it creates wonderful thick sticky clay mud. I never did make it to the battle of Bisland, but I did go to the one down by Patterson. It was there that I managed to find quite a few things including a number of musket and rifle bullets both Union and Confederate. Normally most battle sites are protected by the government unless of course they're located on private land. The great thing about this is all that private land is owned by our family corporation. And so I had permission. I also visited a local metal detectorist who lives in the area and he showed me his vast collection of civil war related items both found and purchased.
I'm going to try and share all of these photographs and there are quite a few. I may not be able to load them all tonight but I will over the next few days as my Internet connection lasts but here is a teaser...

Attachments

• IMG_8034.JPG
    IMG_8034.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 168
  • IMG_7994.JPG
    IMG_7994.JPG
    565.2 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
Upvote 0

7red7

Jan 24, 2017
N.W.Ontario
Detector(s) used
ATPRO Int., GTI2500 , Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A great adventure looks like you have much more to come :hello2: Will be awaitin for more :icon_thumright:

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
100 Acre, great post and History lesson to go along with it. Congrat's on saving some of Louisiana's CW History.

d2

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2005
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro/Cibola Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Your Enfield looks like it came from Marshall, Texas...d2

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Story & Nice Relics ....

May 17, 2018
Downsville, Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just got back from South Louisiana's battlefields! Great place for research and to see history where development has not taken over! Me and my buddy hunt the area at least once a month! Would love to meet up with you and do some relic hunting and exchange some stories! Nice post! Enjoyed the pics and story!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread