RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just love Civil War artifacts! Do you have a favorite? Several favorites? Are all of them a favorite? Post em' here! If you dug it, or bought it, or inherited it, post a pic, and add a line or two about it.

I currently don't have time to do a few of mine, so you guys get a head start!

Upvote 0

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
that's a easy one for me! my Southern Cross Of Honor my best find ever! P1100381.JPG P1100380.JPG P1100379.JPG P1100377.JPG P1100376.JPG

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this last year. I love any and all civil war pieces I recover.
This is my current top favorite. Photo_1558542114813.jpg

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dug this last year. I love any and all civil war pieces I recover.
This is my current top favorite. View attachment 1714992

WOW!
What a Find , I see why its your favorite . P.S All my Relics are special & what makes them most special to be , are location where they were dug.

Ill list some of mine when I have more time , neat thread.

If you don't mind ...what State was your Awesome Plate Dug?

Last edited:

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW!
What a Find , I see why its your favorite . P.S All my Relics are special & what makes them most special to be , are location where they were dug.

Ill list some of mine when I have more time , neat thread.

If you don't mind ...what State was your Awesome Plate Dug?
Georgia.

Yeah, where they come from means a great deal. And that is because when you spend a great deal of time researching a location, the ultimate payoff is the artifact.

And it's a great feeling when you find an artifact, and from your research you know already what you could or should find there, and you find it. Like the types of bullets that should be there, or the types of buckles that could be there, etc.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That style buckle is my number one favorite Confederate buckle. Just wow!

By the way, Gold Boy, that Cross of Honor is killer! Possibly the best find, you can have!

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
NSTCW22.jpg

This is my find of a lifetime! I don't think I will ever top this one....Ultra rare, CS one piece local staff officers button, dug on the Faquier/Culpeper county border, near Harts Ford, where J.E.B Stuart and his cavalry rode across in August 1862. Confederate infantry passed by as well, obviously they stopped by the house, right beside the ford.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
first bullets from 77th ny camp.jpg

Here are my first Civil War relics - two bullets, dug in a camp occupied by the 77th New York Infantry. The regiment guarded the hill I detected...er stumbled across, after the battle of Gettysburg. The regiment fought on Powers Hill during the battle.

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
DSC_0616.jpg

It's not just your average standard U.S. minie ball, it is a Gettysburg relic!

This bullet was dropped on the afternoon of July 2nd, 1863 during the battle of Gettysburg, on Little Round Top. It was picked up sometime after the battle by a Union soldier named McPherson. His descendants live in Franklin County PA, but I am pulling my hair out trying to find his name. It is unknown if it was picked up after action died down, and kept as a souvenir, or picked up during a reunion.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would have to be my crotal bells, close runners up being my war of 1812 artillery button, or my 1680 copper Spanish cob

OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That would have to be my crotal bells, close runners up being my war of 1812 artillery button, or my 1680 copper Spanish cob

Technically, this was for Civil War finds, but now that you have us interested, I'd like to see a pic.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Technically, this was for Civil War finds, but now that you have us interested, I'd like to see a pic.

Lol guess I didnt read close enough. All I saw was favorite relics haha

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
here is some more. A General Staff button. and part of a 14kt gold locket P1100594.JPG P1100593.JPG P1100571.JPG P1100570.JPG

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Georgia.

Yeah, where they come from means a great deal. And that is because when you spend a great deal of time researching a location, the ultimate payoff is the artifact.

And it's a great feeling when you find an artifact, and from your research you know already what you could or should find there, and you find it. Like the types of bullets that should be there, or the types of buckles that could be there, etc.

GA huh?
That's cool , Hope it came from an area I've never hunted .

Great job on the research.

FWIW
I understand your name 'In a detecting sense ' but I also reminds me of a Game my Morning Radio Show plays.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1715044

It's not just your average standard U.S. minie ball, it is a Gettysburg relic!

This bullet was dropped on the afternoon of July 2nd, 1863 during the battle of Gettysburg, on Little Round Top. It was picked up sometime after the battle by a Union soldier named McPherson. His descendants live in Franklin County PA, but I am pulling my hair out trying to find his name. It is unknown if it was picked up after action died down, and kept as a souvenir, or picked up during a reunion.

Now that's what i'm talking about.

You got me thinking , if it was picked up after the battle (soon after) would the patina have come from 150 or so years of air , home , case, exposure .

Or did the patina come from sitting in or on the ground for 25, 50 , 75 years.

Either way it's very historical & special..

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
my other military button a Indian Wars button P1100173.JPG P1100174.JPG

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1715042

Here are my first Civil War relics - two bullets, dug in a camp occupied by the 77th New York Infantry. The regiment guarded the hill I detected...er stumbled across, after the battle of Gettysburg. The regiment fought on Powers Hill during the battle.

What's really cool is they are 2 different types. 'Well IMHO'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread