RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just love Civil War artifacts! Do you have a favorite? Several favorites? Are all of them a favorite? Post em' here! If you dug it, or bought it, or inherited it, post a pic, and add a line or two about it.

I currently don't have time to do a few of mine, so you guys get a head start!

Upvote 0

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 79

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found these two minies on the far confederate right flank (on private property) on the cold harbor battlefield this past spring, I can die a happy man

Very Nice Joe.

From a very historical area as well , & like I always say that's the best part . IMHO

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Very Nice Joe.

From a very historical area as well , & like I always say that's the best part . IMHO
Dave, to me these look short for a federal minie, do you have any idea what type they are? Or am I just used to the ones I cast for competition?

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Minelab Fisher Teknetics Whites Garret detectors
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dave, to me these look short for a federal minie, do you have any idea what type they are? Or am I just used to the ones I cast for competition?

The Confederate troops used what ever they could get there hands on later in the war. I hunt Gettysburg campaign & find lots of yankee bullets in reb spots.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've been lucky to have found these bullets. Gardiner explosive, Prussian, New Austrian & .577" Sharps bullets. These are all from the Gettysburg campaign. 15544361616790.jpg

GameOfTones

May 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK, one more of my fave CW relics.
A dropped bullet from the Confederate calvary lines near Chickamauga.
The reason why this is one of my faves is that like my buckle, I researched and researched and found these exactly where I expected to find stuff. It's always a cool feeling when "X" really does mark the spot. 20190429_085734.jpg

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug these US base bullets last year. I like them because it took a couple thousand bullets before I found these two in a second corps spot on the Gettysburg retreat. View attachment 1720293
Digger, funny you posted these. I posted a short while ago that out of all my bullets, I have yet to find one of these stamped cavity bullets. Those are cool.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found these two minies on the far confederate right flank (on private property) on the cold harbor battlefield this past spring, I can die a happy man
Nice bullets indeed Joe. As Davers said, having the History to go along as to where these were found makes them even more special.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The reason why this is one of my faves is that like my buckle, I researched and researched and found these exactly where I expected to find stuff. It's always a cool feeling when "X" really does mark the spot. View attachment 1722490
Well Done and the research paid off.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Confederate troops used what ever they could get there hands on later in the war. I hunt Gettysburg campaign & find lots of yankee bullets in reb spots.
You are right about this. In one of the battles for Atlanta, it was recorded that a Brigade of Confederates were running low on ammunition and fell back into a China Berry tree orchard where they began ramming China berries down the muzzles of their muskets. In desperate times men do what they had to do and they did. IMO no other army in History will ever be able to accomplish as much or rage all out war as the Confederate Army did for so long and with so little.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason why this is one of my faves is that like my buckle, I researched and researched and found these exactly where I expected to find stuff. It's always a cool feeling when "X" really does mark the spot. View attachment 1722490

Seeing that recently unearthed Minnie never get's old .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yr right 'in the picture' they do look shorter than the Springfield 58 cal types I have found .

That said I still find it hard to tell certain 3 ring Minnie's from site if they were confederate made or Union made , my goal is to be fairly sure what side made what Minnie type , ( field cast ones are always cool ). I'm NO expert that's for sure .

My brains storage of bullet images is telling me yours """May""" be Machine made Union bullets ??? & as it's been noted the Rebels used whatever they could get , Most my confederate site button finds are General Service types. Soooo???

If anybody can tell the origin of your Minnie's (with a fare amount of certainty ) or even opinions I love to know so I can learn also.

GD Joe my friend.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Honestly, I wasn’t expecting an ID, I know some can be traced back to their arsenal of birth, just thought I’d ask. AND, that part of the battlefield did change hands when R.E.Lee pulled back across the Chicahominy river towards Petersburg. I was just happy to dig them.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I wasn’t expecting an ID, I know some can be traced back to their arsenal of birth, just thought I’d ask. AND, that part of the battlefield did change hands when R.E.Lee pulled back across the Chicahominy river towards Petersburg. I was just happy to dig them.

Cool .

I'm strange as I do want an ID . I live a boring but blessed life . lol

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digger, funny you posted these. I posted a short while ago that out of all my bullets, I have yet to find one of these stamped cavity bullets. Those are cool.

It took me 20 years to find those US base bullets. I've been to lots of spots that they were found but not by me. I've dug a bunch of star base bullets. There pretty common in the army of the Potomac spots. Thanks for the reply buddy.

Digger70pa

Dec 29, 2012
The Cumberland Valley
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Digger, that is one Impressive Plate Collection. Well Done.

Thanks buddy. That's 21 years worth. My first actual civil war relic was that US belt buckle. The one that pretty beat up by the plow & disc. We were looking for civil war relics at a place close to where relics had been found before. I was green as hell with detecting. Needless to say the hook was set for life that day in northern Maryland lol. I had dug coins before that but nothing has had the influence that that day has had on me. I'll go coin shooting every once and a while but civil war relics is it for me.

Last edited:
OP
OP
RustyRelics

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Keep posting!

I have some more pics to post of some really nice gems coming soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions