Need ID on 2 items I dug this weekend

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug these this weekend. The iron thing has lead on one side. The round brass/copper thing has “US” pressed into it. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks A54E897A-80E0-4F5C-8280-4F7E7F0AF279.jpeg 0DE01C21-AD59-4386-9410-182BBF99E964.jpeg 72B514F5-FB97-4F99-A46A-91A1A21B6F76.jpeg 31173CEC-0A43-4B1D-BE5F-DC53884A1AF9.jpeg

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure on the iron/lead thing but the second item looks like a padlock keyhole cover with the top piece broken off. Something like this.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

Inspector Comet

Jan 3, 2020
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex,
Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know next to nothing. Still, I saw one of the "civil war stuff for sale" sites listing a lead "button mold" which was very much like the lead part of what you've got there.

Also, and I'm just speculating wildly here, but I'm wondering if it was common for troops to make their own decorative metal items using a hammer and some little homemade die. I found a couple pieces of flat stone that I swear have some faint design carved into them, as well as a couple of rusted pieces of metal that look like they've had eagles and ornamental bits attached. Still trying to decide if I'm just imagining it, but it makes me wonder.

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You might be on to something there. I’m gonna look into that a bit more and will update if I find out more. Thanks
I know next to nothing. Still, I saw one of the "civil war stuff for sale" sites listing a lead "button mold" which was very much like the lead part of what you've got there.

Also, and I'm just speculating wildly here, but I'm wondering if it was common for troops to make their own decorative metal items using a hammer and some little homemade die. I found a couple pieces of flat stone that I swear have some faint design carved into them, as well as a couple of rusted pieces of metal that look like they've had eagles and ornamental bits attached. Still trying to decide if I'm just imagining it, but it makes me wonder.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread