I really hope this button is what it appears to be!

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all.

Today we hunted a site in the woods where at least 1 small home stood. My detecting partner found a CW general service button and another small button that we haven't IDed yet.

I found a cast block I button that I'm really hoping is Confederate Infantry. The shank looks thinner than the other cast I buttons I'm seeing online. It doesn't show in the pics, but it has a rounded shape and the diameter is about the size of a quarter.

I'd love to get confirmation this really is a Confederate Infantry button.

Thanks!

lU0CJJv.jpg

mERS1uS.jpg

Upvote 0

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We really need precise measurements in mms to be sure but it looks good to me. It should measure 23mm.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, he's correct. Should be 23 mm. Most of the big cast ones, which yours appears to be have a wedge shaped shank, but I'm not really sure it matters. Looks good to me. I have never seen a reproduction like yours! Nice!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best I can tell, it's between 23 and 24mm. Probably closer to 24 though.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay, I think I found it. Some of the cast I's have a seam that runs parallel with the shank. It's not a great pic, but you can sort of see what looks like a seam.

3CPYAn1.jpg

Here is a screen shot of a couple of examples of 24mm with the seam.

uWBlFMb.png

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Confirmed Confederate :thumbsup: Nice save!!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all.

Today we hunted a site in the woods where at least 1 small home stood. My detecting partner found a CW general service button and another small button that we haven't IDed yet.

I found a cast block I button that I'm really hoping is Confederate Infantry. The shank looks thinner than the other cast I buttons I'm seeing online. It doesn't show in the pics, but it has a rounded shape and the diameter is about the size of a quarter.

I'd love to get confirmation this really is a Confederate Infantry button.

Thanks!

lU0CJJv.jpg

mERS1uS.jpg

That's def, a type I have not seen with that shank style + the flat looking backside.

FWIW I found a Smaller ( nickle size ) cast I but I do think? it's a repo . NOTE - 'repo' Mine not yours .

I can't wait to see an answer for you .

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's def, a type I have not seen with that shank style + the flat looking backside.

FWIW I found a Smaller ( nickle size ) cast I but I do think? it's a repo . NOTE - 'repo' Mine not yours .

I can't wait to see an answer for you .

Hi Davers,

Thanks! I think the consensus is it's real. It was hard to tell in the original pics, but the back is somewhat concave. Here is another pic that shows it a little better.

e4wv3Kv.jpg

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, very nice. All the cast ones I have found have had the wedge shaped shank on it.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2019

BladeRunner2019

Dec 22, 2013
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, very nice. All the cast ones I have found have had the wedge shaped shank on it.

Thanks Smokey,

Do you know what material was used for these cast buttons? I see some that mention "white" metal, but I wasn't sure if mine was brass or white metal.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You have one beautiful Confetrit' Block I button. Congrats. I have always wanted to find one myself. That is one Great piece of our Saved History.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats great piece of History and nice display item

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Davers,

Thanks! I think the consensus is it's real. It was hard to tell in the original pics, but the back is somewhat concave. Here is another pic that shows it a little better.

e4wv3Kv.jpg

It looks real to me , just a different mfg, style or a replaced or updated shank . Ill Take that find anytime .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have one beautiful Confetrit' Block I button. Congrats. I have always wanted to find one myself. That is one Great piece of our Saved History.

DD
I find it crazy that you have never found 1 , esp, if you dug through the 1980's & 90's .

I have only found 1 while 'Coin Hunting ' In a CW area tho.
But
There are people in the local clubs that seem to get 4-10 just cast 'I's in a year ( Usually 5 -6 of the same guys ) But everynow & then one will pop up at the finds of the month meetings 'like mine' Then again I lost find of the month that time cause i'm not a 20 year member. But I figured me being 9 year member will be considered a veteran.

I'm glad to have dug the one I did .

Sorry for posting on yr thread 'Bladerunner ' & you cool , different , CAST I.:headbang:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Smokey,

Do you know what material was used for these cast buttons? I see some that mention "white" metal, but I wasn't sure if mine was brass or white metal.

Most were made of Brass or other similar alloys , they were made of pewter as well but If you dug a Pewter one (you most certainly would know it ) It 'Most Likely ' would have that corroded Zinc plated Cent look. 'Pitting'.

I'm not sure bout the numbers but the pewter ones are much rarer in my experience .

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Smokey,

If White metal ( it does look it ) that's the best condition Cast (pot-metal / Pewter ) I have seen dug . Usually they are eaten & pitted like a Zinc Cent.

In that condition , I say banner.
Davers

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread