old cast iron mess kettle -looks to be civil war era - find out info at on them?

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
three leg cast iron kettles go way back and even are still made. a picture might give some of the more informed members a better idea of your kettle. without proper identification, it is difficult to answer.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
Just running a quick google search I came up with a lot of info that suggests that mess kettles from the civil war were not commonly made of cast iron (too heavy), but rather were tined sheet metal.

"The most common cookware used on Civil War battlefields was made of tin. Cast iron pots and pans were readily available during this time but their weight made them impractical for use in the field."

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
the spot was as long term civil war camp site area -- used for almost 3 years

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ivan salis said:
the spot was as long term civil war camp site area -- used for almost 3 years

Correlation doesn't necessarily mean that it is CW. IF it was a long term camp, and troops didn't have to travel with it, they could've gotten it locally to cook in. But it's a tough sale as a CW find due to its weight. Troops even tossed away much smaller items, such as their shoulder scales, so they wouldn't have to carry the extra weight. CW Era perhaps, but a tough one to bill as CW even though it may have been. I know that I for one would have a difficult time purchasing such an item as a "CW relic."

Is this piece intact? Could we see a few photos of it?

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
oh its not for sale (as you say near impossible to prove "actual use" but its of the right time frame and location and the type of thing they could use so theres a good chance it was inmy veiw for what its worth) ----its being kept by me just trying to place a rough worth on it .-- the area and location where it was found tends to make think it was used as a camp kettle --the rather remote campsite was overrun by a surprize union attack and the confederate forces fled --with the union troops hot on their heels -- I think it was left behind in the hallbalu -- it is rather bulky -- I do not think it is a formally "issued" item per se but merely just obtained and used by the troops that were there. -- it is totally intact -- it has two ears on the side that a chain and hooks might have hung it over the fire with. there doesn't appear to have ever been a bail type handle on it. --ivan

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: old cast iron mess kettle -looks to be civil war era - find out info at on t

ivan salis said:
oh its not for sale (as you say near impossible to prove "actual use" but its of the right time frame and location and the type of thing they could use so theres a good chance it was inmy veiw for what its worth) ----its being kept by me just trying to place a rough worth on it .-- the area and location where it was found tends to make think it was used as a camp kettle --the rather remote campsite was overrun by a surprize union attack and the confederate forces fled --with the union troops hot on their heels -- I think it was left behind in the hallbalu -- it is rather bulky -- I do not think it is a formally "issued" item per se but merely just obtained and used by the troops that were there. -- it is totally intact -- it has two ears on the side that a chain and hooks might have hung it over the fire with. there doesn't appear to have ever been a bail type handle on it. --ivan

Then I think you've answered your own question. Its value is the value you place on it. You feel that it is of the right age, and in the right place to be CW related. And that is a possibility.

-Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread