encampment sites

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have a follow-up question to this. What about the one-day accounts of camped near so and so church. If you can't find any other records of someone camping there, are you going to find much? I know it usually follows that if a site was a good camp for one night, somebody else probably used it, but I wonder if sometimes it was only camped on for one night. If you don't find much, when would you move on? I've faced that quandry myself and it doesn't seem to have any easy answers.

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks BB, great Info and nice methodical approach. So far, I've been heavy on the research and just about every site I've found has been destroyed by a terra-farming landowner or has a development sitting on it. I've moved my search north, into a much more rural area and I'm doing better, but haven't found any real sites yet. Got permission to hunt a pasture where a period church stood and where the Union Army bivouaced for one night. I didn't find much, but we'll be going back. I also found a solid reference in ORs where I'm fairly certain I can locate where a large camp was for three days. Only question is going to be if somebody beat me to it. Gotta say, I'm real impressed with your recent success at the old homesite. Have you gone back since finding the three buckles? There's bound to be more there. I worked a small picket post off and on for more than 6 months before I was satisfied we got everything we could.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
Thanks BB, great Info and nice methodical approach. So far, I've been heavy on the research and just about every site I've found has been destroyed by a terra-farming landowner or has a development sitting on it. I've moved my search north, into a much more rural area and I'm doing better, but haven't found any real sites yet. Got permission to hunt a pasture where a period church stood and where the Union Army bivouaced for one night. I didn't find much, but we'll be going back. I also found a solid reference in ORs where I'm fairly certain I can locate where a large camp was for three days. Only question is going to be if somebody beat me to it. Gotta say, I'm real impressed with your recent success at the old homesite. Have you gone back since finding the three buckles? There's bound to be more there. I worked a small picket post off and on for more than 6 months before I was satisfied we got everything we could.

Glad you got you a picket post! I think they can be much more difficult to find than the campsites. The best picket posts are the ones from winter camps--they are Loaded. We got well over 125 pieces from my best (winter camp) picket post from last spring--including buttons, bullets, and a beautiful seated dime. And it is still going strong.

I haven't been back to the three buckle site. I put it on hold because it was not in danger of being plowed. It isn't quite worked out yet, but it is close. We go through a house site a hunt with the team--and I bust my arse research-wise to keep us in sites. If I were hunting by myself, the sites I've worked the past four months would've lasted me for two years. But it's just more fun to hunt with a team--plus, it's nice to have the extra man-hours. It saves time when it comes to zeroing in on the spot.

Regards,

Buckleboy

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
BB, you're lucky to have a solid group like that you can trust. There's a handful of us in N. Bama, but very few feel they can trust each other. I mostly hunt with my family (son, daughter, and occasionally my wife) and lately I have a guy that I'm starting to trust to take hunting with me. Well, good luck and can't wait to see /hear about more of your good finds. HH

Bill

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BamaBill said:
BB, you're lucky to have a solid group like that you can trust. There's a handful of us in N. Bama, but very few feel they can trust each other. I mostly hunt with my family (son, daughter, and occasionally my wife) and lately I have a guy that I'm starting to trust to take hunting with me. Well, good luck and can't wait to see /hear about more of your good finds. HH

Bill

Well--I did get burned recently on someone I thought I trusted. It cost us a month of hard work, and I had to let a lot of sites go. Didn't want to fall into the greed trap of trying to beat the guy to them, and didn't really wanna run into him. There are plenty of sites around--as anyone who hits the books knows. Many of the good hunting teams on Tnet are family members--and I'm glad you have that privilege. I myself do not have family around to hunt with--and I have to go back to Virginia to hunt with my father. I think caution is the best--and making sure you do enough research to cover your butt in case of a fall-out. I do most of the research and pinpointing for my team--and it is no problem at all. I actually enjoy it. Plus, it keeps me "in the know." And the other Iron Brigaders trust me when I lead them to a site. That type of trust I carry in highest regard.

Best Wishes to you, and if there is anything I can help with please let me know.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
JC dig's

JC dig's

Jul 10, 2007
Culpeper,Va
Detector(s) used
fisher 1236x / whites xlt / garret ace250
thanks BB,

Your info has given me food for thought. I live in an area that was, to say the least active during the civil war. i hope i can find the time and patience to find me a camp. people tell me everything has been hunted out, i REFUSE to believe it. why just last month or so i found a dozen bullets in my yard and a button, so i know there must be more. thanks for your help....JC

KDMB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread