Electrolysis, build your own, how to use and what to expect.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I use a model railroad transformer, but only do relatively small items. With a transformer with a "speed controller" you can be quite gentle.

You can successfully do "whatzit" coins if you keep an eye on them. I turned an unknown large cent into one that I could determine was a braided hair Liberty. I could read "Liberty" in her headband, but still couldn't get the date. Way better than a brown disk with a raised area where a wreath *might* belong.

I use baking soda because I heard about bad gasses when you use salt. I understand washing soda is better yet.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
boogeyman said:
I use a cheapo 12 / 6v charger with a surplus pot wired in where the switch for 10 amp or 2 amp was. After using it awhile I can pretty much tell what's going on by the bubbling & how an item is cleaning up when I check them. If you're not sure get some of the junk out of your junk pocket or bucket and do some tests or grab up a couple pieces of scrap from the junk pile or junkyard and try them before you try cleaning anything you really value.

I don't understand your reasoning for putting a pot in place of the switch for 10 to 2 amps. The small transformer type chargers only put out milliamps and trickle on the car charger is around 2-2.5 amps. What would I be gaining with this pot?
I use the same charger to do everything from coin sized objects up to lathe beds antique motors & vintage car parts. For an item like the head off an antique drill press, it goes in a tank made from half of a plastic 55 gal. drum with several strips of stainless placed around the drum hence higher amperage. smaller objects in a 5 gal. bucket or a tupperware bowl. Guess I'm lazy, but I rather have one supply that will work for everything instead of having a pile of different supplies laying around my already cluttered shop.

Erdspiegel

Feb 7, 2009
Berlin
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6a
XP-GmaxxII
Primary Interest:
Other
I use a stainless steel bowl,instead of plastic.
So I don't have to use any extra steel object.

Attachments

• DSCN93820001.JPG
    DSCN93820001.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 1,073
OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yeah, that's what I mentioned earlier in this thread...........thanks for confirming it works well!!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Using a SS restaurant insert is a great idea. Just have to be more careful of shorting and after awhile the little pinholes. Good if you can find one cheap. Around here, strips of SS are alot cheaper than an insert or pan.

If you find one big enough for me to do large power tool parts in I'd be interested! ;D :icon_sunny:

Probed

Sep 12, 2010
Detector(s) used
V3i, Dfx, Excalibur
Just wanted to thank every one here for the electrolysis tips and the website mick56 recommended. I used my titanium anodizer equipment and the process is basically the same. I'm able to regulate the volts by tuning the dial and a multimeter that is in the loop gives me total control of the voltage up to 125 volts. I couldn't figure how to shrink the photos to post here but my photos can be seen at my Flicker account so feel free to browse.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/44203239@N08/

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found what I believe will be the ideal electrolysis transformer........it is the control unit from an old electric train. It is 120v~AC in with 0 - 17 VDC out at 6 Amps. The really cool thing is, the control switch that regulates the speed of the train by regulating the voltage applied to the tracks, not only goes 0 - 17VDC + for forward, but, it has a reverse that applies the same 0 - 17VDC -, so, if the wrong thing starts bubbling, just crank it in reverse!

I did a coin last night and the transformer never even got warm!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea! The only thing I would add is a fuse or other thermal protection. I don't think train transformers are fused like battery chargers etc. They may be now days to meet UL standards.

OP
OP
Roland58

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
boogeyman said:
Good idea! The only thing I would add is a fuse or other thermal protection. I don't think train transformers are fused like battery chargers etc. They may be now days to meet UL standards.

Very good suggestion. I'll open it up and see if there is any sort of fused or thermal protection, if not, it will be easy enough to add a 10 amp fuse (since it is only supposed to be able to output 6 amps). Good idea, thanks!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
boogeyman said:

Very good suggestion. I'll open it up and see if there is any sort of fused or thermal protection, if not, it will be easy enough to add a 10 amp fuse (since it is only supposed to be able to output 6 amps). Good idea, thanks!
Wouldn't even have to open it up,just add a fuse holder to your + output wire.

Glad to help! Just wouldn't want to see any "What not to do photos" ;D

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a quart size glass jarr 1 in of salt in bottom 9v batt, 2 peaces of afct stainless steel safty wire and a lead sinker , one wire with sinker into salt conn to neg side of batt , other wire to pos side and make a 4 way wrap aroud coin and supend it in the water for 3 min and coins come out clean but not to clean and shiny as if new looking they still have patnia on them,,,, i then pull them out aft 3 min and warm water rinse and light brush with a tooth brush

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you think electrolysis could be used to remove gold plating from junk jewelry? Just wondering if there is a way to recover some of the gold, instead of throwing it in the recycle bin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread