Cleaning a flying eagle cent

rapidroy7

Sep 25, 2009
You might try soaking in distilled water then freeze another method lay coin on tinfoil put glue on let dry pull off may take several try"s*** never thought much of the olive oil method(just my opinion) HH rr7

OP
OP
K

Kindgren

Tenderfoot
Feb 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Rapidroy thanks for the advice. I have tried the glue method already. I have attached some pictures to see if this spurs any replies.

Attachments

• Coin 1.JPG
    Coin 1.JPG
    202.2 KB · Views: 813
  • Coin 2.JPG
    Coin 2.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 703

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have a Flying Eagle cent, The only way to tell was that the wreath was different than on the Indian. After numerous peroxide baths
You can just barley see the upper curve of one of the wings, I'm at a loss as what next to do with this coin. If Anyone has a suggestion
Then I'm all ears. Thanks for any siggestions in advance. HH:thumbsup:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
warm water and a soft brush and leave it at that

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too have a Flying Eagle cent, The only way to tell was that the wreath was different than on the Indian. After numerous peroxide baths
You can just barley see the upper curve of one of the wings, I'm at a loss as what next to do with this coin. If Anyone has a suggestion
Then I'm all ears. Thanks for any siggestions in advance. HH:thumbsup:

As you likely know the FE Cent's & the First IH's Were made of Cooper-Nickel.

I wondered if HP was Good at cleaning Cooper-Nickel as it is as Cleaning Bronze & Copper Coins.
Got my first 1864 CN IH & also got a V Nickel that need work.
So in your Opinion Did the HP help or hurt your FEC.
Old Post I know.
From a Fellow N.GA, Boy.
Davers

Tedyoh

Bronze Member
Apr 13, 2013
N.E. Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, NOX 600, XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As you likely know the FE Cent's & the First IH's Were made of Cooper-Nickel.

I wondered if HP was Good at cleaning Cooper-Nickel as it is as Cleaning Bronze & Copper Coins.
Got my first 1864 CN IH & also got a V Nickel that need work.
So in your Opinion Did the HP help or hurt your FEC.
Old Post I know.
From a Fellow N.GA, Boy.
Davers

I found a 58 FE about a month ago, used the boiling HP, definitely helped, but what I've been using more on IH's, LC's and buttons is ammonia cut 50/50 with hot water - absolutely more aggressive than HP so check after 2 minutes, use a soft toothbrush and some of the solution and scrub gently, normally after 1 or 2 treatments it's going to be as clean as its going to get, must warn though, I've removed some of the green patina on a few IH's going longer than 4 minutes.
I use the ammonia method because my opinion is dug copper is dug copper, there's going to be corrosion and not worth much to a serious collector / buyer, some have a lot of corrosion and some not so much - I see some people say "an early dug chain cent is worth 4k. just look on ebay", you can "ask" anything you want on ebay, and I bet 99 time out of 100 they don't sell, because dug copper is what it is, corroded, no way around it.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a 58 FE about a month ago, used the boiling HP, definitely helped, but what I've been using more on IH's, LC's and buttons is ammonia cut 50/50 with hot water - absolutely more aggressive than HP so check after 2 minutes, use a soft toothbrush and some of the solution and scrub gently, normally after 1 or 2 treatments it's going to be as clean as its going to get, must warn though, I've removed some of the green patina on a few IH's going longer than 4 minutes.
I use the ammonia method because my opinion is dug copper is dug copper, there's going to be corrosion and not worth much to a serious collector / buyer, some have a lot of corrosion and some not so much - I see some people say "an early dug chain cent is worth 4k. just look on ebay", you can "ask" anything you want on ebay, and I bet 99 time out of 100 they don't sell, because dug copper is what it is, corroded, no way around it.

Yeah on my CN 1864 IH the Boiling Peroxide did OK but likely should have left it the way it was after soaking in EVOO for a week then Stiff/hard Scrubbing with a Nylon Dish Brush.

Like you said..
On that coin & the 1904 V nickel I found "The Pitting Damage was already Done"
Actually I could see the date on the CN , IH Better before the Peroxide but in that "Dug" condition it is what it is & I'm (Mostly) happy with the outcome . We live & we learn.
Davers

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah on my CN 1864 IH the Boiling Peroxide did OK but likely should have left it the way it was after soaking in EVOO for a week then Stiff/hard Scrubbing with a Nylon Dish Brush.

Like you said..
On that coin & the 1904 V nickel I found "The Pitting Damage was already Done"
Actually I could see the date on the CN , IH Better before the Peroxide but in that "Dug" condition it is what it is & I'm (Mostly) happy with the outcome . We live & we learn.
Davers

I have a coronet soaking right now I dug today . The v is only visible when wet. I doubt I will get a date. On a side note the large eagle coat button turned out unbelievable . Good back mark made it a 6th calvary find. Horstman.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread