HOW I RUINED A GOOD FIND.....

cabinfever11

Feb 26, 2012
N COLO/SW WASH
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign, Fisher 1266X, Tesoro Bandido II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
About 15 years ago I was given permission to MD in the yard of a house built in 1889. The yard had never been detected! One find was a brass-like commemorative coin struck in 1906 by a small mountain town to commemorate a huge event of that era. It was perfect in detail! As an ignorant newbie I thought I should remove all that dark brown patina so it would shine like a new penny. So I got my can of brasso and a rag and proceeded to spend every evening for the better part of a week "shining" my find until I noticed that the details weren't nearly as sharp as they once were and I'd effectively removed some of the more intricate detail. I effectively ruined the find! Now, a gentle washing to remove dirt - and that's it. Don't make my mistake. 'fever

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, if it has any collector value, nothing more than water and MAYBE a soft toothbrush.

Maybe your post will save another newbie from the same mistake.

paramedic

May 9, 2009
saint charles mo
Never, Never, Never clean a coin. I have distilled water. I place my coin(s) in the water, then remove them with out wiping or scrubbing them. Allowing them to dry completely. Handle them with cotton coin gloves.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
That might be good advise for a key date coin but let's face it. They are scarce as hen's teeth. An ugly coin will just stay ugly unless you know how to
clean coins with non-corrosive methods.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I clean a lot of my coins. Never a key date or valuble find tho. I have no plans of selling any. If it makes you happy, clean away!

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
About 15 years ago I was given permission to MD in the yard of a house built in 1889. The yard had never been detected! One find was a brass-like commemorative coin struck in 1906 by a small mountain town to commemorate a huge event of that era. It was perfect in detail! As an ignorant newbie I thought I should remove all that dark brown patina so it would shine like a new penny. So I got my can of brasso and a rag and proceeded to spend every evening for the better part of a week "shining" my find until I noticed that the details weren't nearly as sharp as they once were and I'd effectively removed some of the more intricate detail. I effectively ruined the find! Now, a gentle washing to remove dirt - and that's it. Don't make my mistake. 'fever

Excellent post! So true!

It took me longer than you to learn this lesson. I feel a little sick inside every time I think of the finds I ruined by over cleaning. Once that aged patina is gone the find is greatly reduced in desirability. That patina is nature's work of art.

Last edited:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dang what was i thinking i found a bell and went to brush the dirt off and poof it fell in to million bits every where waaaaaa waaaaaaa i lernt the hard way, goood post hope it does someone as time goes on we make a foul up hapy hutinn

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread