saltwater removal electrolysis

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
DMC-II,Cibola,Excaliber,Whites PI, AT Max
I will show you how I do it,step 1,find a relic ctmpphpxNnAO6.jpg ,clean the rust cacoon off ctmpphpn1zP5q.jpg ,now your relic is clean ctmpphpVETtxA.jpg ,in this case powder had to be removed ctmpphp4qOXBw.jpg ,and flushed out ctmpphpYln1jf.jpg ,I tap mine for a good connection ctmpphpFKwLSS.jpg ,and hook up the ground wire with a ring connecter ctmpphpBugAWt.jpg ,I set the relic on bricks in a tub ctmpphptns19T.jpg ,with steel or stainless anodes,hooking the positive lead of the power supply to the anodes,try to use low voltage,less than 6 volts,and low amperage,less than 1 if possible,cover with water,add a small amount of sodium hydroxide,big word for lye ctmpphpzvqm5U.jpg ,check for current ctmpphpMTIBXj.jpg ,check the next day to see if any bubbles have formed on the surface,change water often,and be patient,this shell will cook for about 2 years.Pull it out when it's done and boil it in a turkey cooker with rainwater or distilled water,pour off water and pour in some cold water,do this 3-10 times.The last boil you can do a salt test,if good do the boil and pour off the water,let the heat of the shell help to dry it.Dry for a few days,clean with scotchbrite and coat with 2 coats of gloss polyurethane and then 2 coats of satin polyurethane.Let dry,take in house and show your friends.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This advice is exceptional! Few folks have this amount of patience when dealing with electrolysis. I'm sure your results are outstanding. Could you post a few photos of your results here as well?

One word to everyone who reads this thread: This is the BEST way to clean relics with electrolysis! It takes lots and lots of TIME.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
divedigger

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
Thank you for your kind words.Just to clarify a bit,this set-up is for removal of salt from relics that came out of the ocean or marsh,it takes a long time.To clean one you would increase the voltage,amperage and the sodium hydroxide. This will clean the average relic overnight or in a few days,however if it has the big cacoon like a saltwater ball,you will still need to knock ogg some rust with a hammer.Here is a picture of some heavy artillery that has been through the process.

Attachments

• tmpphpRX8rQd.jpg
    tmpphpRX8rQd.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 565
OP
OP
divedigger

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
Buckleboy,if you want to see a good picture of a relic I just got finished with,go to the Civil War forum and look at the thread that says,"want to see a pretty Confederate 10 inch mortar ball" or something to that effect.

OP
OP
divedigger

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
someone asked about how to do this so I thought I would look it up and repost. There is some fear about sodium hydroxide and stainless steel. You can use mild steel anodes or use soda ash and stainless anodes.

OP
OP
divedigger

divedigger

Mar 27, 2003
SouthEast NC
Detector(s) used
I no longer coat with gloss polyurethane, Just the satin, Makes for a more natural finish

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread