Help for newbie in Va?

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Hello to everyone. I am totally new to relic hunting, I was talking about it with a friend one night and got real excited about the idea of it. I got the bets metal detector I can afford right now (bounty hunter quicksilver) I'm sure it's not a great one, but something to get started with and works better than throwing darts. :) My first outing (about an hour after I got it) on a friend's land yielded a few nails, beer cans, and a rivet of some sort. Oh and one bullet casing, but it was one we fired so I don't think it counts. anyways, I have tried doing some research and haven't found anything I really feel I can use. I need a nudge in the right direction. Where to find maps or a good area to hunt etc. I absolutely respect the ethical side of hunting as far as getting permission and everything, So can anyonw help? I am in Richmond, Va. Which, if anyone doesn't know is also close to Powhatan, Chesterfield, Amelia, and Goochland, if that sparks any thoughts. Thanks for any help. I can't wait to start posting pics of finds!

P.S. feel free to email me at [email protected] if you like.

Z

ZipDogg

You'll find that here at Treasure Net /index or Homepage there's a ton of subjects about every kind of treasure there is. Reading posts from the Metal Detecting site is good for picking up tips and things. At the top of the Homepage you'll see icons for sites to visit that's also connected to treasure or metal detecting. The icon for White's(metal detectors) will take you to the online store where they list many places that is best for finding coins or jewelry. I think the beaches and coastlines are the very best for finding gold/silver jewelry. If you're not near the ocean, 2nd best would be parks and very old houses/places where people have gathered in the past, such as old stores. Welcome to TN, take time to visit the sites that interest you & you'll be hooked MD'n & Treasure Hunting(TH'n).
-ZipDogg

gmu4me

Jan 15, 2006
Culpeper, Va
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Welcome fellow Va Hunter... Whereabouts in Richmond do you live?? My brother used to live in the West End. I live in Culpeper.

Here is a great map resource that I use frequently: http://www.davidrumsey.com/ . Use the Insight Browser and search by state or keyword.

HH

Dean

pepperpump

Feb 27, 2005
Manassas Park, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Welcome Captain and good luck hunting!!!Richmond is a good area I have heard. Hey GMU, have you ever hunted near Brandy Station?
Pepperpump :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread