Lots of Missing Money

trubl1096

Oct 17, 2006
Landlocked
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x/ Aquapulse/ WHITE'S II
I been CRH for sometime now and have had a time or two that I have been a couple coins short in my total or even over. The other day when I picked up my order the Bank told me that they were getting their Halves in bags now and not the boxes. I was a little irritated but let it go because I had a couple bags to go through. Got them checked out with little return, a 67' Kennedy and a 61' Franklin. When I took the leftover to the coin counter at the return bank, one bag was short $27.00. I looked everywhere thinking that I had lost it, maybe spilled or my little girl took a few, but never found any. Now I think the bag was short to start with. I noticed that you could open the bag and reseal it without anyone being able to tell.

I complained to the original bank I picked up from and BOY did it start a storm. They were all kind of worked up! Especially when I showed them how to open the bag and close it without it showing. They said they would get a formal investigation into it because I had insinuated that someone was skimming alittle. We'll see!

Anyone else finding large amounts of coin missing from their orders? I'm still mad about mine. $27 dollars short? I cant afford many of those kind of bags!!

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
u gotit friend. the double edged sword of bags. many machines are off. i bet no one is stealing. just a bad machine.sometimes the operator will see other coin in the half bag and remove. but machine counted those coins as halves. problem is.if u complain too much they wont want to order for u at all. even rolls can be short.its all part of the game.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i can see a machine being off, but $27 off? that seems impossible to me. someone is skimming at that bank.

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I have one bank that has let me buy the half bag twice from their counting machine, about 2 years to refill it after the first time. Both times the bag was about $40 off. Lucky for me I work with the husband of one of the tellers so she knew I wouldn't lie about being short and they paid me back the shortfall. I don't think anyone was taking halves, just an inaccurate counting machine. They told me they want to recount the bag next time before I buy it, but then you risk a teller removing the silver from the bag as it's counted. Buying a bag has the greater risk but also the best chance of a big reward.

Redfoot

Jul 12, 2006
Nashville, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT and Ace 250
Sorry don't want to sound stupid, but what are you talking about when you buy these bags from the bank? Are you asking for a certain bag of coins and looking through them for old ones that someone might miss? Thanks Redfoot.

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I ordered boxes from my dump bank once- when I opened one of them there was no uniformity to the rolls, ie. short, tall, short, tall- looked like a mountain range. No keepers and one box was $8.50 short, never did that again. My CWI boxes will have some short a coin or two and also some long a coin or two so it evens out, but any shortness is part of the game- like inflation is another form of tax, short boxes is another form of fee. HH Mark

Ju8vP3t

Something smiliar happened to me a while back, I took back a couple boxes of dump, and I always fill out a deposit slip prior, count and re-count before I take 'em back(no coin counter here, you have to re-roll 'em, they won't accept loose,bagged coins) so I deposited them and left.....next week or soon there after, I returned for another deposit dump at the same bank, as I was waiting in line, a teller approached and said" you know that last box you brought in was short one roll($10), I apologized and gave them $10...That's Never happened before, as I'm very careful to check before I go to return,also I almost challenged her, because the teller that took the deposit at the time Should be responsible for accuracy at the time of the deposit, but I didn't.....the attitude and impression I get when I go in to dump, isn't very friendly at all, for a brief second I'd wondered if they could've said that to discourage me from dumping there....and this also happens to be the same bank's ATM that gave me $40 too much recently....I Promptly returned it

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
I would vote for a bad count on the bag. $27 is a lot of bulk for a teller to carry out of the bank. I don’t think a teller would want to lose their job over that amount. Short / long bags are part of the game. I don’t think they will be selling you any more…..or anyone else. I had a good thing going at one bank………until some idiot bought the bag and brought the dumps back 2 hours later. Guess who doesn’t sell bags anymore. You folks need to think how it will affect things at a bank when you go in complaining. If you can’t afford a few losses in this game you need to get out.
HH, F_F :icon_jokercolor:

XX

Jan 11, 2008
The Federal Reserve Depository Institutions weigh the bags upon receipt. Anything that is within 3% by weight is accepted (that's Plus or Minus $30 for us lay people).

Your $27 short is within the acceptable tolerance limits set by the Federal Reserve.

It sucks, but that's the nature of the game.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trubl1096 said:
Anyone else finding large amounts of coin missing from their orders?
The last bag I got was two weeks ago. It was a $704 bag, they had been saving it for me for two months.

As I started going through it I started wondering if I was going to be short or way over. In many handfuls of halves would be IKE dollars, pennies, quarters and dimes. Also almost every handfull had a 40%JFK or two. ;D

After all was over I had 61 40% and a 1929 standing liberty. I also had a double handfull of misc change ($18 just in IKEs) I carefully counted everything and I was .04¢ over. Now that is a pretty accurate machine.

fikys

Dec 27, 2006
IL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Two weeks ago I got $1000 machine bag that had $18 MORE than it was supposed to. Some bags also have dollar coins instead of halves (but some will have quarters or pennies). So, sometimes you gain, sometimes loose :)

Fropa

Feb 27, 2007
SW Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I agree with Silver_Fox that complaining about a bag being short will increase the chance of that bank not selling the bags anymore. In my case, since I knew the business teller I let her know so she could have the machine checked if needed. She apologized for the shortage and I told her short bags are part of the game. She talked to whoever she talked to after I left and they credited my account. I didn't expect it but it was nice. If I wouldn't have known her I would have never said anything about the shortfall.

OP
OP
trubl1096

trubl1096

Oct 17, 2006
Landlocked
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1280x/ Aquapulse/ WHITE'S II
Silver_Fox said:
You folks need to think how it will affect things at a bank when you go in complaining. If you can’t afford a few losses in this game you need to get out.
HH, F_F :icon_jokercolor:

I see what you are saying but I have been with this particular bank for over 33 years and never had a problem. They do a good job. They called me this morning and apologized for any inconveniences and stated they would credit me. I thought it was nice. The chance is always there to lose the source we get our coins from but I think when you articulate the problem to where they see the value of you as a customer, they are more incline to protect you and themselves. The action of talking to the Bank about a problem falls into the self preservation instead of just rolling over to take it without an word.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to CRH, but already I have been shorted a few coins in my boxes. A half here, a few dimes there, same with nickels & pennies too. But when I dumped my last $200 in skunk half's my teller cameback up to the window and said $213. (The counting machine is back behind a closed door.) I knew the $13 wasn't from me and my rolls, but I just said ok cool. :icon_pirat: So that evens everything out for me ;D

Come to think of it, I usuially get extra money when ever I dump. Like when I tried my hand at dime boxes, I got a few counts like $250.12. Where that extra 12 cents came from I have no idea. Same with all of my money, there is usuially a few pennies added (not from me).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread