Victim of Cruel Joke

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Fans, I want to be the first to admit I have been punk'd. I was out doing my best to acquire as many halves as I could. I went into one bank and the nice teller said she had just over 4 boxes of rolled halves I could walk out with for $2100. I did peek at them before lugging them to the car. They were all yellow CWI rolls with crimped ends. At least that's what I thought. Upon closer inspection, all 210 rolls had been searched and carefully rerolled and boxed. Oh well I drove to the dump bank and gave them 4200 clad losers. Congrats to the searcher and the teller. They make a great tag team. Cheers, Jim

Upvote 0

STDevil

Jun 12, 2008
Are you in a state whose name starts with "W". If you are, sorry about that.

My favorite was getting coins with the edges painted silver - that was a real boner.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
That is why I never get hand rolls anymore. It seems that everytime I would get hand rolls they were from some lazy a$$ who returns his or her dumps to the bank in the original fed roll wrappers, but you can see they crimped the edges after searching them. The banks would sell these back to us CRHers as if they were still fed rolls. I honestly believe that many tellers don't realize that someone even searched and removed coins from these rolls due to the way they put the rolls back together so well. At first I was not even aware someone had gone thru them.

With sealed boxes at least there is hope that some virgin coins made their way into the boxes. With the crimped end wrappers as you mentioned, you know there is nothing but dumps. When I used to ask for hand rolls I got way too many of these. On the rare occasion I go into a bank and ask for rolls I always turn down the rolls if they are in fed wrappers as described. As long as the box is sealed, so far I have not received any of these returned fed rolls. But if the box is not sealed when they give it to you, there is a good chance you are getting someone's dumps in their original fed rolls.

Jim

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Really if it 's a situation where the seal on the box is broken I would not touch them at least not that amount.

Perhaps a smaller sample say the $100 first and maybe even go as far as buying 1 box just to sample.

It could have saved you some time....

You got to ask yourself who would just have $2100 in hand rolls sitting around besides a dedicated CRH'r

Better luck next time.

Mojo

eastbaybounty

Mar 9, 2008
I wouldn't have taken them. Obvious dump. Not to mention you could get shorted, do you think the teller opened those rolls and counted every coin? Nope. Thats why I dont re-roll, I dump them in a coin deposit bag, and my bank takes it (they actually prefer it)

BBcardsRI

Bronze Member
May 29, 2008
Rhode Island
Similar thing happened to me and a buddy on a roadtrip a while ago.

Hit up a bank, asked for halves, was told they had a bunch...

Teller came up with a brinks box missing like 3 rolls... we were sketched out but bought it anyway since the wrappers were brinks and everything... skunked. First time either of us had run across those type of rolls. The fed type that had been re-rolled.

Crazy stuff...

~Dave

OP
OP
coolpix9

coolpix9

Bronze Member
Jan 17, 2007
Primary Interest:
Other
One of the things I didn't mention is my 79 year old partner. We trade off going into banks and it was his turn. He came out so excited that he had struck paydirt. I don't have the heart to tell him the real story so I fudges a wee bit and told him I found some in the 2 boxes that he had not searched. Thanks for the words of encouragement, Jim

Silver_Fox

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Good 'Ol USA /
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 of course
Bummer but.............part of the game. I got $890 in HR's last week. One lonely 40 in the whole bunch. The CRHer that dumped them must have over looked it.

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oooo That sux...

fiddycent

Oct 23, 2008
yep...happened to me too. asked the teller for halves and she responded that they had a few hundred dollars worth. she brought the box out, opened it in front of me and counted it. all yellow CWI shotguns. later, when i pulled out the first roll i noticed the top was fed-rolled but the bottom side had been folded. ??? turned out ALL the rolls were fed-rolled tops and folded bottoms and all were skunks. imagine that! dang the bad luck.

oh well, such is the fate of wild poodles and coin roll hunters. gotta take the good with the bad.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I don't understand why anyone would take the time and effort to crimp the ends of their re-rolls. I do understand that some CH'ers dump re-rolled coins, but why do they feel compelled to try to make them look like they had never been opened?? I have dumped boxes of re-rolls myself, but when I did it I simply twisted up the opened ends of the rolls to hold the coins. Anyone who looked into the box could easily tell that the rolls had been searched. Why try to hide it??

I have also been burned by picking up boxes full of rolls that had been crimped so well that the tellers would SWEAR that they were machine-wrapped. A couple of times going through someone else's dumps quickly teaches you to look very carefully at the rolls if the box seal is compromised in any way. When others dump boxes like that, and the tellers are convinced that they are machine-rolled, it makes you look like a nut when you refuse to accept what the bank says is a "new" box. I have never felt compelled to try to disguise the fact that I have searched through the rolls that I return (although I now use coin counters almost exclusively). Why try to trick people??
- Grizz

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Mentone Grizz said:
I don't understand why anyone would take the time and effort to crimp the ends of their re-rolls. I do understand that some CH'ers dump re-rolled coins, but why do they feel compelled to try to make them look like they had never been opened?? I have dumped boxes of re-rolls myself, but when I did it I simply twisted up the opened ends of the rolls to hold the coins. Anyone who looked into the box could easily tell that the rolls had been searched. Why try to hide it??

I have also been burned by picking up boxes full of rolls that had been crimped so well that the tellers would SWEAR that they were machine-wrapped. A couple of times going through someone else's dumps quickly teaches you to look very carefully at the rolls if the box seal is compromised in any way. When others dump boxes like that, and the tellers are convinced that they are machine-rolled, it makes you look like a nut when you refuse to accept what the bank says is a "new" box. I have never felt compelled to try to disguise the fact that I have searched through the rolls that I return (although I now use coin counters almost exclusively). Why try to trick people??
- Grizz

I think they do it so they don't have to re roll the coins in regular wrappers. If they use the original Brinks wrappers they just return them that way. This happens at banks without coin machines that require dumps to be in rolls.

Jim

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Jim;
Any time that I have dumped rolls, I simply put the coins back in the same sleeves and twisted the ends.
Of course, I opened the rolls in such a way that I could re-use them. Do some banks require changing the paper sleeve and using one different from issue??
- Grizz

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
PUNK'd!!!
Between my last post and this one, I went to a local Wells Fargo to pick up a box that I had ordered. Cutting open the "seal", I find a box full of rolls twisted closed on one end and all placed upside down so that only the factory ends showed. Some b--tard not only disguised the rolls to look untouched, but faked the brown paper seal as well!! No good excuse for that kind of bs!!
- Grizz

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread