Bummed but makin due

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

Yesterday was my half day, and the first bank had my 2 boxes. Second bank forgot my order, sigh. Searched the 2 boxes for a grand total of one 40%. Bummed.

Also, dumped 4 boxes of dimes, and noticed the amount was wrong. Tallied 40-50 as pennies. I was steamed, and happened to be there later to dump some halves when a lady in front of me filled the penny bag. I asked bank staff if I could buy that bag, and explained why. She left the office, and came back 10 miniutes later. She said I could, but this time only - never again. It is a major breach of procedure to sell bags to customers, they MUST go to the Fed Reserve. You'd think I asked to beat up her kid ot somethin. Whatever, I know better, but at least I nabbed that bag. 13 wheats, 59 dimes and a quarter.

Searched a box of pennies later and discovered another 6 wheats. I think since the machine is screwing me on the dimes, ill do pennies and screw them when they register as dimes. Heres to 6 boxes of pennies this weekend! Hopefully the wife can nab a few for me tomorrow, I asked extra nice :).

Best of all, I HAVE WORK! I have only worked 6 hours since Thanksgiving. Today I was able to double that, and I'll work again tomorrow! Woot! My wife and I can eat and not worry how long our cash will last :). And it gets better - while working today, the boss recieved a call from someone who needs to book us for a full week. WAHOO!! I'm stoked! For those of you who dread work - try living without it, it hurts - bad. I learned that the hard way, and hope to never repeat the process.

Happy huntin,
Anthony

Frustrate

Upvote 0
S

seger98

Ok first off, bummer

second, congratulations on the wheaties

third. I don't think the pennies will register as dimes, cuz they won't fit into the slot opening.

4th, I haven't found a bank yet that will sell me a bag, I don't know how Gman does it.... :icon_scratch:

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
Narthoniel said:
Hello,

Yesterday was my half day, and the first bank had my 2 boxes. Second bank forgot my order, sigh. Searched the 2 boxes for a grand total of one 40%. Bummed.

Also, dumped 4 boxes of dimes, and noticed the amount was wrong. Tallied 40-50 as pennies. I was steamed, and happened to be there later to dump some halves when a lady in front of me filled the penny bag. I asked bank staff if I could buy that bag, and explained why. She left the office, and came back 10 miniutes later. She said I could, but this time only - never again. It is a major breach of procedure to sell bags to customers, they MUST go to the Fed Reserve. You'd think I asked to beat up her kid ot somethin. Whatever, I know better, but at least I nabbed that bag. 13 wheats, 59 dimes and a quarter.

Searched a box of pennies later and discovered another 6 wheats. I think since the machine is screwing me on the dimes, ill do pennies and screw them when they register as dimes. Heres to 6 boxes of pennies this weekend! Hopefully the wife can nab a few for me tomorrow, I asked extra nice :).

Best of all, I HAVE WORK! I have only worked 6 hours since Thanksgiving. Today I was able to double that, and I'll work again tomorrow! Woot! My wife and I can eat and not worry how long our cash will last :). And it gets better - while working today, the boss recieved a call from someone who needs to book us for a full week. WAHOO!! I'm stoked! For those of you who dread work - try living without it, it hurts - bad. I learned that the hard way, and hope to never repeat the process.

Happy huntin,
Anthony

Frustrate

Glad your work is picking up. CRHing is fun and all, but it is not gonna pay your bills. It is good to hear that you are getting more hours at your job.

This f'd up economy is hurting businesses all across the board. It has hit my business in the past 6 months, and I know others who are feeling it as well.

Problem is that I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel and I believe we could see another "great depression" before things turn around.

Hope you keep getting hours of work.

Jim

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey anthony, Great to hear you have been getting some business. Don't worry about the boxes because mine have looked just about the same. They must be pulling them all from the same pallet. One of my banks (BOA) forgot to order my boxes as well.

-Golden Silver

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
coinmojo said:
jim4silver said:
Glad your work is picking up. CRHing is fun and all, but it is not gonna pay your bills. It is good to hear that you are getting more hours at your job.

This f'd up economy is hurting businesses all across the board. It has hit my business in the past 6 months, and I know others who are feeling it as well.

Problem is that I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel and I believe we could see another "great depression" before things turn around.

Hope you keep getting hours of work.

Jim

Did we not have a discussion a couple of months ago about buying Foriegn Car's.? :dontknow:

Still shopping at WallMart?

Mojo

Enjoy:

Attachments

• calvin.JPG
    calvin.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 324

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Here a link to the Wall Mart Story on Nightline.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/

Here is a little piece of it

Economist Brink Lindsey of the Cato Institute sees it another way. "I think Wal-Mart is good for America," he says. "Wal-Mart is doing what the American economy is all about, which is producing things consumers want to buy … offering consumers a wide range of goods at rock-bottom prices. It is meeting the market test."

This is little consolation to the unemployed workers back in Circleville, Ohio. Steve Ratcliff, a long-time worker at the Thomson plant puts it simply: "If you want these low prices, then you go buy your products from Wal-Mart. But what does that actually do for this country? It's putting people out of work. And it's lowering our standard of living. That's the bottom line."

Ironically, for Ratcliff and his former colleagues, there are new jobs coming to town. In a patch of farmland right next to the vacant Thomson plant, Wal-Mart has broken ground on one of its new Supercenters. But the Wal-Mart jobs will represent a steep cut in pay from the $15 to $16 an hour workers made at Thomson, and a far cry from the pension, health care, and job security benefits that have long been the norm in manufacturing.

:BangHead: :violent1:

Mojo

GPURS

Apr 18, 2007
N.E. of Atlanta
I will personally never buy a care made by the "big 3" ever again. I will only buy from non-union car manufacturer. I am a sub contractor, therefore I pay my own healtcare costs, I finance my own pension, and have NO guaranteed contracts for work. To think that some of my tax money has gone to the "big 3" in order to help pay for pensions and healthcare for these union people, while I wake up each day to battle again for my keep, well,,,, it kinda pisses me off >:(..
I'm getting a little sick of this crap about not being a good American if you don't buy an "American" car. Pretty lame stuff. Kinda like telling me that I'm not a patriot because I don't want to pay more for a car just to support a union worker.
The American dream does not mean you should be able to reach into MY pocket forYOUR pension or healthcare.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
GPURS said:
I will personally never buy a care made by the "big 3" ever again. I will only buy from non-union car manufacturer. I am a sub contractor, therefore I pay my own healtcare costs, I finance my own pension, and have NO guaranteed contracts for work. To think that some of my tax money has gone to the "big 3" in order to help pay for pensions and healthcare for these union people, while I wake up each day to battle again for my keep, well,,,, it kinda pisses me off >:(..
I'm getting a little sick of this crap about not being a good American if you don't buy an "American" car. Pretty lame stuff. Kinda like telling me that I'm not a patriot because I don't want to pay more for a car just to support a union worker.
The American dream does not mean you should be able to reach into MY pocket forYOUR pension or healthcare.

How do feel about banks that will forclose on a home in the blink of an eye? I mean putting Americans out on the street and putting people in the care of the government who than gives the banks 700 billion.

Did they not get 700 Billion no questions asked?

Mojo

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is this a coin roll hunting forum or head hunting....shame on the both of you. I've been reading the posts for 2 1/2 months and the most thing I enjoyed about it was everything was friendly, no insults and no garbage language .............until this post. As always all good things seem to come to an end.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Diggemall said:
OK, I'll stick my 2 cents worth in here........

1) Low prices. It's what everybody "wants". Unless its for the products that they make at their job. Unfortunately everybody else wants that product at the lowest possible price, so overseas it goes. Goodbye manufacturing job. Wally World has over 3500 little factories in SE Asia producing the goods that we all demand.

It USED to be OK that things made here in the US cost more than they do today because It USED to be that people were willing to SAVE UP to buy the things that they wanted. Now, everybody wants everything NOW.

2) Competition. WE USED to have REAL competition here in the states, and it was on a LEVEL playing field. Everybody was subject to the same rules of play. The same minimum wage laws. The same child labor laws. The same environmental protection laws. The same workplace safety laws. The same consumer protection laws. All of these regulations are in place for a reason, and most of that reason was that Americans fought for them, to protect themselves from unscrupulous businesses. NOW in order for an American manufacturer to "compete" they have to find a way to best companies that are subjected to NONE of those laws. That's NOT competition.

3) We fought long and hard here in the US for all of the protections mentioned in (2) above. In return, we paid more for our products (see 1 above) but a high school graduate could pretty well count on a factory job that would provide a LIVABLE wage. Now what we have is the low wages, sweat shops, child labor, and unbelievable pollution moved to a different location on the planet. (Don't worry - the winds blow a lot of the airborne stuff over here too) Did I mention lead-based paint on childrens toys, products that break before they're completely out of the package, melamine in food, and so on ? So much for consumer protections.

4) Low prices. For your DVD player, maybe. But what about construction materials ? Steel, copper, concrete have all risen dramatically due to the massive surge in demand from where ? SE Asia. Why ? Because our demand for cheap products means a massive surge in the need for factories, housing, and infrastructure over there. Price of fuel ? The massive surge has been blamed on a rise in demand where ? SE Asia. Why ? Because with all of the manufacturing in SE asia, it has created a demand for fuel over there.

IS WAL-MART GOOD FOR AMERICA ? Hell no. Wal-mart is the single biggest driving force behind the exodus of American manufacturing. Would a lack of Wal-marts have prevented the exodus of manufacturing ? Probably not. Would have slowed it down a bit, but probably not stopped it. What we have with this blind eye towards unregulated "cheap" manufacturing is simply the financial dumbing down of America and the demolition of the middle class (the backbone of America). It's OK though. Just as we went through a battle for our own protections, so will the Asians. They will demand the same things we did, and along with it the cost of manufacturing will slowly rise over there. The question is where will it all level off ? Will Africa be the next Asia ? South America ? Eventually, globalization will cause a levelling world - wide, although most of us won't live to see it.

Personally, I liked it better 20 years ago. Forcing foriegn manufacturers to adhere to the same standards we employ here, or taxing their products to equalize the true costs probably would have levelled things off faster, and at a higher standard of living for everybody, but then there wouldn't be as many people in that select group here getting rich of the whole global trade thing. But then again, what do I know ?

Diggem'

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/view/

Thanks Diggem. :thumbsup:

terryin pa

Nov 15, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not whether I agree or not. In my opinion this is not the place for it....this is a treasure hunting/coin hunting forum. You fail to see my point.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
You may not respond to it any more because your too busy or too wrong.

So here is some food for thought.

Could your father have given you and your family the same life style working at WalMart all his adult life.

Ponder that.

Mojo

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Guys again let it end or take it to PM. Thanks for your consideration in advance.

-Golden Silver

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread