What a teller told me today

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I called a couple banks today in the area I was headed looking for halves. During one call, I spoke to a teller who said they had a few bucks in halves. He then went on to say that he removes all the silver ones he sees.

I talked to him for a while BSing about what he finds on the job. He said that every box they open of quarters and dimes he searches the rolls (they use Brinks which uses clear wrappers here). He said he found a seated liberty dime recently, and finds silver roosevelts frequently. He said he gets silver halves on a regular basis from customers.

One interesting thing is he said he does not mess with halves 65 to 70. He thought they were 50% silver and didn't think they were worth keeping. I asked if any they had were those years and he said no, that they had about 20 dollars face worth and someone bought them a few weeks ago.

He also said that recently someone brought in a 1922 Peace dollar and he got it.

It is amazing that someone would not realize that an old silver dollar is worth more than a dollar. I can see how they dont know about a half dollar, but not an old cartwheel.

Jim

Upvote 0

Shake-N-Bake

Dec 5, 2007
I bank teller friend of mine told me that a few days after Christmas a customer came in with 20 American eagles and wanted to cash them in because he tried to spend them in a store and they wouldn't take them. He told the guy to bring them to a coin dealer and he would get more, but insisted that he get them exchanged for a buck a piece. Needless to say the teller was happy to take $20 out of his pocket for 20 silver eagles. Go figure how stupid people can be, just read the back it says "one ounce pure silver .999"

Jason

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Please don't think that ALL the tellers are dumb; lots of tellers search coin as it comes in, lots of tellers are collectors too. At one of my CU's, an old man spent 17 peace dollars to pay a bill, even after being told of their value. That teller now has them home in her possesion. Another teller has told me of her varied collection of silver coin including several standing liberty quarters. FFD

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If one teller at a certain branch collects coins, that branch would be useless to CRHers. One is too many! (we can use it as dump station, that's about it).

Darth Walker

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tellers that collect coins and search through bags during work to keep the silver must be fired.

Imagine the time they spend doing this. Not very productive for the company.

But well, no one is going to catch them.

On the other and, yes people cash American Eagles for face value and we all think, " How Stupid"
But remember that stupidity is what make us find silver or our hobby would be gone.

I have always known about gold and silver coins such as American Eagles, Double Eagles, Krugerrands, etc.
but I did not know until a few years that circulation coins were once made of silver. Well one time I was with my wife
at the grocery store and I went to the coin star machine to look for normal coins on the floor. I found a Dime dated 195X and I just use it at face value. I did not know it was silver.

Darth Walker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread