i hate when they..........

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
pull the silver right in front of your face. :BangHead: hit some banks yesterday , and couldn't believe the amount of halves i was finding. banks that never had more than one or two, all of a sudden had hundreds on hand. i'm talking six or seven banks in close proximity to each other. all machine rolls, so it looks as though they all got a box or two. i also was finding around $10 in loose from alot of banks also. just couldn't find any silver.......until this one bank where the teller says "let me see what we got." she pulls a clear plastic bag from the safe and stands over on the side and starts pulling them from the bag. thats when i notice her turning the coins over and looking at them . then she is putting some back in the bag. :BangHead: :angry5:
she turns and says "all i have is $10 worth." :angry5: What am i blind? she musta pulled $4 or $5 worth.
i know, i know, they're not mine till they're in my hand, and she got there first.....BUT COULDN"T SHE HAVE PULLED THEM BEFORE I ASKED? did she have to do that right in front of my face? after all out of sight out of mind, or what you don't know won't hurt you.i still don't understand these tellers who wait until someone asks for something and either pulls it in front of you or tells you "oh, that one is not for sale"

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
There's a bank I check every few months that robs me like that, takes them 20 or 30 minutes every time. Most times they leave the Kennedys but sometimes they take it all. HH Mark

XX

Jan 11, 2008
Actually, I prefer them to be honest. If the teller is honest and up front with me about how she pulls the silver, I know to write that bank off my list.

I also know to make them a possible dump bank. If I can, I try to make sure I give that teller the dumps so she also knows she doesn't have to look through them.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
mistergee said:
pull the silver right in front of your face. :BangHead: hit some banks yesterday , and couldn't believe the amount of halves i was finding. banks that never had more than one or two, all of a sudden had hundreds on hand. i'm talking six or seven banks in close proximity to each other. all machine rolls, so it looks as though they all got a box or two. i also was finding around $10 in loose from alot of banks also. just couldn't find any silver.......until this one bank where the teller says "let me see what we got." she pulls a clear plastic bag from the safe and stands over on the side and starts pulling them from the bag. thats when i notice her turning the coins over and looking at them . then she is putting some back in the bag. :BangHead: :angry5:
she turns and says "all i have is $10 worth." :angry5: What am i blind? she musta pulled $4 or $5 worth.
i know, i know, they're not mine till they're in my hand, and she got there first.....BUT COULDN"T SHE HAVE PULLED THEM BEFORE I ASKED? did she have to do that right in front of my face? after all out of sight out of mind, or what you don't know won't hurt you.i still don't understand these tellers who wait until someone asks for something and either pulls it in front of you or tells you "oh, that one is not for sale"

Man, that's COLD. I must have really nice tellers because a time or two when they were counting the halves I was buying (stacking them in front of me two by two) there would be a "clink" and the teller would say "hey, there's a silver one", but they never tried to take it.

There is one guy teller who is a dumba$$ though. He once had a silver dime in his till that had a super bright shiny rim. I asked for it and he said, "no, I am keeping it for myself". I thought, OK that's fair enough. But the next time I was in there two or three weeks later there was an exact dime in the same spot in his till (on the bottom of the stack). I asked him if he found another one and he said "no, it's the same one". I asked him why he didn't take it home and he said "I am keeping it in there because I like when people ask about". I bet he likes to pull the wings off flies when he catches them too.

Jim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, that's half the reason I quit asking for loose halves.....tellers here pull the silver for themselves, many times right in front of me!

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey mistergee,

If it were me and I saw it happen in front of my face I would be polite but say "actually I would like those that you left out of the bag as well thanks." I have done this before and the tellers will sometimes fork them over. Actually the coins are not theirs unitl they sell them to another teller and then pay the other teller for them. They are not supposed to take coin from their own tray. I spotted 4 silver dimes in a tellers tray and asked for them and she tried to play dumb and give me some other coins and I made it very clear which ones I wanted and she handed them over. Just my thoughts.

Golden Silver

phillips24

Aug 28, 2008
Illinois
I was dumping today at another branch of my dump bank today. While she was in the back running the coins I see a merc staring at me from her tray. When she gets back I ask if I can buy it.......and in a snotty tone "nope". If she was freaking saving it for someone why didn't she have it OUT OF SIGHT!!!!!

OP
OP
mistergee

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
If it were me and I saw it happen in front of my face I would be polite but say "actually I would like those that you left out of the bag as well thanks." I have done this before and the tellers will sometimes fork them over.
actually i thought about it but she wasn't the friendliest of tellers. i had a feeling she wouldn't have given them up. at that point i just wanted to get out of there.

PullTabPrincess

Jul 22, 2007
Gainesville Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, Minelab Excaliber II, Troy Shadow X5
I have a teller at a bank where I order halves that saves silver coins for me when she comes across them. One day, she had several silver halves in her tray (which she usually keeps in her drawer out of view of the customers). She was saving them for me, but she happened to have her tray out of the drawer and a customer walks up and wants to buy those halves. She sold them to him. When I went in 2 days later, the teller told me about the silver halves that got away! I couldn't get mad at her because she did what she should have done! There are fair tellers out there! :thumbsup:

wharghoul

May 6, 2009
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD
I feel your pain....

I went in to this bank the other day, been massaging them for at least a month about ordering me boxes...finally starting to make some progress I thought...

So, I ask while I'm in there if they have any loose halves and the teller walks up and down the line checking for me, so she comes up with what I can see are clads, but I took them anyway.

So, I look way over yonder at the drive-thru teller's coin tray and can see at least a half a dozen loose halves, but they were way too far to tell if they were silver.

I say, "I'll take those halves over there as well" loud enough for the teller at the window to hear me, but she doesn't move, just keeps her back to me. I say it even louder and this time real sneaky like, she slides her hand over, grabs the halves and drops them in a drawer. I'm thinking, what the hell?

I knew that p*ssing any of these tellers off would doom my chances of scoring consistent box orders, so I had to make a quick decision. I believe that I could have pushed the issue and gotten the head teller to make her give up the halves, but I decided against it. So, I said "I understand why you put them away, don't worry, you can have them. But you've got my curiousity peaked, can you show me what you got?" She comes over and very meekly shows me 5 64's and 1 40%. I told her "nice score, I would have done the same thing".

Anyway, I think I may have scored a small victory. As I went to leave, the window teller came closer to the counter and said that she would be happy to make sure the boxes get ordered. Maybe it was guilt, who cares, all I know is that this is one of the few times I've walked out of a bank knowing I made the right play.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions