predicting AG content of a box

bag and drag

Jan 20, 2009
sometimes just for the hellofit when I get a box with silver showing me and wife weigh the rolls to try to predict how much AG is in the box.
any roll that weighs over 227 grams has a high probability of of being a winner.rolls that weigh 229+ will have 90% or multiple 40's.
this works well with CWI and brinks rolls but not if the box has alot of newish BU coins.anyone else weigh rolls?

Upvote 0

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
I've been through so many rolls I can tell the heavy ones just by picking them up. Still looking for that box thats #5 over. HH Mark

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Interesting, I've thought about doing that, but I don't have the time. At one point I weighed quarter rolls to see which ones had extra quarters in them (customer rolled coins), but I found just as many were short. Now I can just feel if there are extra quarters in a roll ... pretty skilled/sad!

Anyone try to predict how their half dollar boxes will come out based on the number of silver coins showing at the ends? My general rule of thumb is the # of silvers showing at the top times 10. I suppose if it were a "true" 5% sample a multiplier of 20 would be more appropriate, but that multiplier seems too large.

Brian

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
kestrelia said:
Anyone try to predict how their half dollar boxes will come out based on the number of silver coins showing at the ends? My general rule of thumb is the # of silvers showing at the top times 10. I suppose if it were a "true" 5% sample a multiplier of 20 would be more appropriate, but that multiplier seems too large.

Brian

There is 1 coin showing on ea. end so 2 showing 18 hidden of 20? would that have to figure into your math formula? Or should I say it's actually a 10% sample considering both ends of the roll as I think you are suggesting.

I don't know what i'm talking about. ???

Mojo

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
I was referring to one looking at the tops only, one side, not turning the rolls over.

B

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just wave dousing rods over them :laughing7:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how weighing them would work. The mint has such bad quality control on halves. I have seen so many that were really thin that would throw off your weight.

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
I notice that halves minted in the year 2000 get rejected by my primary CoinStar machine more than halves from other years. No extraordinary signs of wear or damage. What's up with that, do you suppose? Some minute weight differential in coins that year??
- Grizz

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Weight vs. thickness ... I've thought about that too, but I think it has more to do with how hard the coin was struck, rather than a blank of a different weight being used (think Proof vs circulation strike, same weight, different rim thickness). I too had a huge bunch of thin 2000 halves rejected by a Coin Star machine on more than one occasion, however. I didn't take the time to weigh the coins to figure out why.

Keep in mind that the original post was about predicting which rolls had silver "for fun" rather than using this as a tried and true method for screening which rolls to open at all.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Once opened a Brinks Box, first roll I grabbed had 11 in it, thought this was gonna be a dream Box- the rest of the box yielded another 17 and that is all for a total of 28; had another box 3 weeks ago about 1/2 way thru it found a Roll with 3 in it, the whole Box yielded 5.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
That's the beauty/curse of CRH'ing, I think. You never know what will turn up, no matter how good you think you are at predicting what's in the rolls. One of my best boxes had no silvers showing, others had a couple silvers showing that didn't produce more than what was showing, some boxes had one silver coin that was a really good one, etc.

B

Silver Stripe

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2007
USA
3 times this year I have had a roll with silver on both ends- the only silvers showing, and twice those were the only silvers period. Although the other one like that made up for it as that box had over 100. I've had at least a dozen boxes this year showing a silver and it be the only one.
Never know what your gonna get. JD used to weigh his rolls and dump the light ones for his competition- just saying. HH all, Mark

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Rule of Thumb: Double the number of silver halves that show on one end only of 50 rolls. Results will be total for box. Two silvers showing?? Four silvers in box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread