Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A couple of months ago, my wife and I were at my parent’s place and I convinced my father to bring out some of his coin collection. My wife loved the Indian Head pennies and said that she wanted one, and hinted around a few times that she might start hunting pennies.
So we moved to a new town a couple of weeks ago, and I hadn’t done any hunting since we’d moved so I decided to see what the area is like, and after the first bank I thought that it was going to be a great day. The first bank I went to only had $6.50 in halves, so I bought them and picked up a box of pennies as a present for my wife. I’d heard the silver when the teller picked up the halves, and 7 of them turned out to be 40%ers. The next bank was willing to empty the machine for me, so I pick up another $62.50 and then I proceeded to hit another half dozen or so banks and low and behold…a coin store. I go in just to browse and ask if they buy 40% halves. They do, but don’t give a good price, so I bought an 1883 Indian Head penny that’s in pretty good shape out of a junk bin for a buck as another present for my wife (gave him 2 clad halves for it). After a few more banks, I decide that it’s time to go home and check out the loot. I’d told my wife about the box of pennies on the phone, but hadn’t told her about the Indian Head and boy was she surprised and curious about it when I gave it to her, so I told her about the coin store. We then opened the Brinks penny box just to see what it looks like inside, since we’d never had one, and THE VERY FIRST ROLL that she picks had this on the end:
359.JPG
WHAT ARE THE ODDS OF THAT???
So, we put the roll back in, search the halves and got a 1964 and 10 40%ers for the day. Then we search the pennies. Got 12 wheats, the 1 Indian Head, a bunch of Canadians, including a really nice one from 1960. Here are some picks of today’s loot:
355.JPG 363.JPG
364.JPG 361.JPG
I’ve got some questions about pennies. What recent (1980 and later) dates do you all separate and what do you look for? I pulled the 1999 and 2000, no wide AMs, but my Red Book is from 1980. I know, I know…I’ll get another soon. Also, what should we do about cleaning her 1901 IH?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Kantuckkeean

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Mr. Hunting,

We haven't done anything to it yet, and might not. I've never cleaned any coins.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

d2arcing

Bronze Member
Jun 22, 2009
very nice, tempted to buy one for me now... or you buy me a present? jk

i actually think i pulled one before from a cash register... must find it tomorrow

HolyDiver

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love those IH's. I found my first (1890) in a CWR roll not too long ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread