Banned from another bank today....

Ju8vP3t

Well, not actually banned :laughing9:, but I was "informed" that since I didn't have a business account, I wouldn't be able to deposit any more coins.... :dontknow:, and the thing about it is, I'd only deposit 1 box every week or so, it wasn't like I was dumping everything at one branch, I have comsideration, and dump in several locations, .....just goes back to whom your dealing with, the other branches are fine, nothing is ever said

Upvote 0

jb7487

Apr 16, 2009
Well thanks for all of the comments. I'm actually quite surprised that many of you agree with me. And those that don't made some good points. I don't have a real problem with those of you who have arrangements with banks and give them your business. What I have a problem with is people who act like it is their god given right to dump their coins and that banks are just lazy if they don't want to deal with your hobby. As many have said, banks are in business. Banks profit from us doing business with them. But only if we also keep money there. People who don't even have accounts and then complain because a bank doesn't want to spend money handling their coin dumps don't have a leg to stand on in my opinion. Heck, there was even someone complaining the other day because a teller refused to break open a roll and check it for silver for him (if I remember the story correctly). That would have been going above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion.

So I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill. Like everything else in life, the world is not black and white. There are respectful and gratious coin roll hunters and then there are those who think every bank should cater to their every whim and need. But it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.

Thanks for the feedback. Good luck with the hunt!

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
jb7487 said:
Well thanks for all of the comments. I'm actually quite surprised that many of you agree with me. And those that don't made some good points. I don't have a real problem with those of you who have arrangements with banks and give them your business. What I have a problem with is people who act like it is their god given right to dump their coins and that banks are just lazy if they don't want to deal with your hobby. As many have said, banks are in business. Banks profit from us doing business with them. But only if we also keep money there. People who don't even have accounts and then complain because a bank doesn't want to spend money handling their coin dumps don't have a leg to stand on in my opinion. Heck, there was even someone complaining the other day because a teller refused to break open a roll and check it for silver for him (if I remember the story correctly). That would have been going above and beyond the call of duty in my opinion.

So I'm probably making a mountain out of a mole hill. Like everything else in life, the world is not black and white. There are respectful and gratious coin roll hunters and then there are those who think every bank should cater to their every whim and need. But it only takes a few bad apples to ruin it for everyone.

Thanks for the feedback. Good luck with the hunt!

I agree with you completely. I have been able to buy from banks where I am not a customer, but I have never tried to dump at a bank unless I had an account.

It costs almost nothing to open an account at most banks, I cannot understand why somebody would not open a minimum balance savings account if they want to use that bank to buy from or dump at. Many banks let you open an account for less than 100 bucks.

What sucks is when you are a customer and they want to charge you fees to order boxes or take your dumps. One of my banks told me they get charged nothing extra to order as many boxes that I want (Brinks). But I have another bank that charges 5 bucks a box for halves, and they say that is what they are charged by their courier (Brinks).

I think the banks that charge fees in my area are just finding a way to cash in on the CRHing craze and to pay for any extra time their tellers spend waiting on CRHers (which I feel is completely within their right as a for profit business).

I am going to cancel my accounts at the banks where I am now getting charged with fees to buy boxes (I have only paid for them when DESPERATE for a CRHing fix--and so far they have more than paid for themselves), and open a couple of accounts at some other banks that don't charge for boxes.

Jim

Fredness

Jul 16, 2009
jim4silver said:
{snip}
It costs almost nothing to open an account at most banks, I cannot understand why somebody would not open a minimum balance savings account if they want to use that bank to buy from or dump at. Many banks let you open an account for less than 100 bucks.
{snip}Jim
I open business accounts so I have direct access to the Merchant Teller (who is USUALLY the Vault teller) - they know id anyone has halves, as well as what is in the vault. To me this is worth $10 a month and access to dozens of branches.

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

jrf30 said:
I have two local chase banks that tell me to buy my coin from THEM, not Wells Fargo. Becasue they want my business. And my dump bank is wonderful (Not Chase OR Wells). The manager at Chase knows that if I come in to buy coin, I am in his bank, and he ends up with more of my other business.

So it is not Chase in general that says no to things. Just the branch you were at.

Agreed, "Just the branch you were at", I know, 'cause I've been going there for awhile, it's no more than simple Laziness on the part of the employees, I'm convinced of that

mistergee

Silver Member
Jan 8, 2008
Pennsylvania
Heck, there was even someone complaining the other day because a teller refused to break open a roll and check it for silver for him
yes but you failed to mention that he is only 13 yrs. old and had no idea that we have "rules" we follow.he understands his mistake now and i'm sure he won't be doing that again. we realize what we are asking of the bank whenever we dump. through trial and error and sharing info with each other we found ways to NOT make anyone's job harder. those who dump tons of coins have done serious work to make an agreement with a bank and those that don't have one know to spread them around so they don't overburden anyone.i noticed you didn't mention how happy the tellers are when we relieve them of the hundred or so half dollars that noone else wants and they've been counting and counting everyday for the last month or so. or about how happy they are when they see you because along with the dumps there is sometimes a box of donuts or chocolates for them because we understand we can be an inconvenience at times. most of us even wait until all other customers are waited on before conducting our business so that not even the customers are inconvenienced. or we go when we know they are slow. we always start with a smile and are very polite even when we know we are being lied to or are refused a coin that is in thier tray but they refuse to sell it. (as if they own it) most of the tellers you run into are very friendly and always willing to help you out. its those few who don't like thier job and show it and the banks who lie to you about fees when other branches of the same bank don't charge anything. these are the few and far between and any crap they get here in the forum is deserved. how can you accept coins for months then all of a sudden there are fees?
there aren't , they just don't want to deal with you anymore. so what do we do. we say thank you and move on to another bank where they like doing thier job and move all our accounts out of thier bank .
now of course i'm just speaking of the people i know on this forum and can't speak on others who may be out there breaking every rule and being rude. they surely will be the downfall of us. but here even newbies follow our code of ethics because we do not want to be the downfall of our own hobby.
so forgive us the few negative posts you read while lurking were the only ones you remember about us. i'm sure if you started a count you would find that the positive posts outweigh the negative ones by about 100 to 1. and by the way we work hard at this and have earned the right to bitch.

OP
OP
Ju8vP3t

Ju8vP3t

mistergee said:
Heck, there was even someone complaining the other day because a teller refused to break open a roll and check it for silver for him
yes but you failed to mention that he is only 13 yrs. old and had no idea that we have "rules" we follow.he understands his mistake now and i'm sure he won't be doing that again. we realize what we are asking of the bank whenever we dump. through trial and error and sharing info with each other we found ways to NOT make anyone's job harder. those who dump tons of coins have done serious work to make an agreement with a bank and those that don't have one know to spread them around so they don't overburden anyone.i noticed you didn't mention how happy the tellers are when we relieve them of the hundred or so half dollars that noone else wants and they've been counting and counting everyday for the last month or so. or about how happy they are when they see you because along with the dumps there is sometimes a box of donuts or chocolates for them because we understand we can be an inconvenience at times. most of us even wait until all other customers are waited on before conducting our business so that not even the customers are inconvenienced. or we go when we know they are slow. we always start with a smile and are very polite even when we know we are being lied to or are refused a coin that is in thier tray but they refuse to sell it. (as if they own it) most of the tellers you run into are very friendly and always willing to help you out. its those few who don't like thier job and show it and the banks who lie to you about fees when other branches of the same bank don't charge anything. these are the few and far between and any crap they get here in the forum is deserved. how can you accept coins for months then all of a sudden there are fees?
there aren't , they just don't want to deal with you anymore. so what do we do. we say thank you and move on to another bank where they like doing thier job and move all our accounts out of thier bank .
now of course i'm just speaking of the people i know on this forum and can't speak on others who may be out there breaking every rule and being rude. they surely will be the downfall of us. but here even newbies follow our code of ethics because we do not want to be the downfall of our own hobby.
so forgive us the few negative posts you read while lurking were the only ones you remember about us. i'm sure if you started a count you would find that the positive posts outweigh the negative ones by about 100 to 1. and by the way we work hard at this and have earned the right to bitch.

Well Said mistergee .... :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions