first dump

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
Thats a very good question! I usually dump until I hear a snide remark such as "Oh its the coin guy again" :-[ But seriously, shop around for a bank with a coin machine. Taking rerolled coins back irritate tellers. I spread my dumps out over 7-8 banks and I am not even close to going through what other people here do. I also try to visit these banks only once a month. Best bet just try to feel them out. I hope this helps and doesn't sound like a bunch of rambling :thumbsup:

silvereagle78

Mar 14, 2009
The Burgh PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Whites SilverEagle
silvereagle78 said:
Thats a very good question! I usually dump until I hear a snide remark such as "Oh its the coin guy again" :-[ But seriously, shop around for a bank with a coin machine. Taking rerolled coins back irritate tellers. I spread my dumps out over 7-8 banks and I am not even close to going through what other people here do. I also try to visit these banks only once a month. Best bet just try to feel them out. I hope this helps and doesn't sound like a bunch of rambling :thumbsup:

Just to clarify,when I say taking rerolled coins back I don't mean to the same bank where you got them. I mean hundreds to thousands of dollars in coins that are rolled :thumbsup:

OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so like 60$ in halves and a box or two of pennys shouldnt irratate anyone?

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldnt think so. I dump 1.5 to 2k in halves weekly at some of my banks. Only annoyance I see is when they have to change the coin bags out. I wouldnt think less than 100 in coins would tick off a teller, but you never know.

OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
so try to keep it under 100 got it

47thelement

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2009
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excal, ACE 250 for my son
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dump at the same bank every week. I am very gentle to their machine. It sometimes takes me 1/2 hour to dump 1k and that is because I put the coins in slowly. I also inform others how to take care of the machine. I buy bagels monthly for the branch and they let me dump when ever I want. The tellers all know me by name and by account number.

Take care of the people and they will take care you

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I normally don't go through as much coin as a lot of the people on here, but sometimes I'll dump like 250 in halves.. I've never had a problem, my dump bank has a coin machine, everyone seems quite freindly.. I'm in there at least once or twice a week, always dumping at least 100 worth. I plan on upping my search this coming tax season. I will probobly start buying boxes. It kind of makes me nervous thinking about dumping that much though.
Tim

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
timbobwey said:
I normally don't go through as much coin as a lot of the people on here, but sometimes I'll dump like 250 in halves.. I've never had a problem, my dump bank has a coin machine, everyone seems quite freindly.. I'm in there at least once or twice a week, always dumping at least 100 worth. I plan on upping my search this coming tax season. I will probobly start buying boxes. It kind of makes me nervous thinking about dumping that much though.
Tim
Similar to my method, as I don't do boxes of halves much. When I do, my little credit union takes $500 bags. If you are doing volumes, like many here, you had better have several counters lined up to dump.
Odd that in my city, very few banks have counters. My tiny credit union is the only institution to carry a counter out of five different banks that I have accounts with. ffd

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
No teller, vault teller, teller supervisor, branch manager or anyone else should get mad at you for returing coin. It is however, the descretion of the financial institution of if they are going to take rolled coin from non-customers. If they have a coin machine and you pay a fee to use it, that's your deal entirely! You should not get into a contest of wills with the powers that be about if they will take your coin or sell it to you. I work at a credit union and we only take rolled coin from members or you can pay a fee and use the coin machine. We do not sell coin to non-members at all. We will make exceptions to this rule, but not on an on going basis. I do "cherry-pick" as some of you like to call it. I am also a coin collector, but I buy it out of my drawer as quickly as possible. Customers should not be able to see what is in my drawer from the other side of the counter as far as I am concerned. As far as the government knowing what I do........so what!!!!! Like they care if I have a couple of dollars in silver dimes and some wheat pennies. I have very very little. You really find nothing in the financial institutions anymore.
Sorry about the rant, but I had to get that off of my chest after the obituary was posted earlier.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MZKITY62 said:
No teller, vault teller, teller supervisor, branch manager or anyone else should get mad at you for returing coin. It is however, the descretion of the financial institution of if they are going to take rolled coin from non-customers. If they have a coin machine and you pay a fee to use it, that's your deal entirely! You should not get into a contest of wills with the powers that be about if they will take your coin or sell it to you. I work at a credit union and we only take rolled coin from members or you can pay a fee and use the coin machine. We do not sell coin to non-members at all. We will make exceptions to this rule, but not on an on going basis. I do "cherry-pick" as some of you like to call it. I am also a coin collector, but I buy it out of my drawer as quickly as possible. Customers should not be able to see what is in my drawer from the other side of the counter as far as I am concerned. As far as the government knowing what I do........so what!!!!! Like they care if I have a couple of dollars in silver dimes and some wheat pennies. I have very very little. You really find nothing in the financial institutions anymore.
Sorry about the rant, but I had to get that off of my chest after the obituary was posted earlier.

I have not problems with tellers who cherrypick. I would be doing the same thing if I worked as a teller. You have access to the coins and if you have the cash to buy so be it. Just dont leave the coins on the counter and give me some bold faced lie about how you are saving them for a special customer or someone who just called. If you want the coins, pull them out and put them somewhere I cant see them. And when you sell me a roll of halves, dont take it in the back and go through it before you sell it to me. If you want the silver, take it before hand. Just my little rant....

MZKITY62

Sep 26, 2009
GENEVA COUNTY, ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I absolutley agree with both of you previous posters. I will not let anyone see what is in my drawer at any given time. If someone asks me for something, even if I want to buy it from my drawer and I haven't had the time or money yet, it's fair game. I am honest as far as that goes. I will not hold something for myself that someone else wants. You never know when you are going to get audited. Someone is going to want an explaination of why you have bills or halves separate in your drawer at any given time. Please don't think I was being rude. I was not at all. I hope to see some of you at my place of business some day. As a matter of fact, I went to another branch and they had lots of rolls of halves. I wasn't busy, so I went through all of them. I just put them in rolls and put the three full siver rolls together. I labeled them silver on the outside. I didn't have the funds to get them at the time, but maybe I was able to help someone else out.

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MZKITY62 said:
I absolutley agree with both of you previous posters. I will not let anyone see what is in my drawer at any given time. If someone asks me for something, even if I want to buy it from my drawer and I haven't had the time or money yet, it's fair game. I am honest as far as that goes. I will not hold something for myself that someone else wants. You never know when you are going to get audited. Someone is going to want an explaination of why you have bills or halves separate in your drawer at any given time. Please don't think I was being rude. I was not at all. I hope to see some of you at my place of business some day. As a matter of fact, I went to another branch and they had lots of rolls of halves. I wasn't busy, so I went through all of them. I just put them in rolls and put the three full siver rolls together. I labeled them silver on the outside. I didn't have the funds to get them at the time, but maybe I was able to help someone else out.

Nice! Wish I was close to you. I would be there when the door opened this morning :)

OP
OP
fisher2

fisher2

Mar 20, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can we get bacxk on topic of how to dump often without horror stories

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread