how do those cull coins get into half boxes ?

Aug 27, 2006
WHAT KIND OF TREASURE ARE WE HUNTING TODAY ?
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E TRAC, EXCAL2,QUATTRO,WHITE 6000 DI PRO SL,EAGLE SPECTRUM,SILVER UMAX ,BANDIDO UMAX VARIOUS VINTAGE
if u do any roll searching of half dollar sealed boxes.u will find them irish coins,old england 1 centers anda course dreaded pesos. i have tried numerous times to pass these back in my dumps. no go. oh and heres a non 50 cent coin from ur return sir....grrrrr. so how do they get into the rolls.? the fed is just rerolling what the bank sends it in bags. i guess thereare many different brands and styles of coin counting machines. some machines might let them thru. any ideas on finding a bank whose machine would accept them. i feel i have a right to get 50c for each as thats what i paid. but not gonna bring it up to bank and get them upset. maybe the fed people pad their accounts by adding a few foreign and slugs to the mix every so often? my auto punctuation not working pls forgive.

Upvote 0

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Not all coin passes through a machine before leaving the bank to be rerolled. I dump in bags directly, and when I take it out of district, I reroll. The rolled coins have to opened up and dumped into a bag by the tellers. My last trip that I took out of district was 20k.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
I believe that some machines send their "default" coins (wierd items) into the half dollar bag. When I have been able to buy the bag off these machines the teller just hands me the canvas bag without even looking in it. I would find foreign coins (some not near the size of a half dollar), tokens for car washes, bus rides, etc. I don't think people are getting credited for a half dollar when they dump these, but instead the machine simply sends them to the half bag because it doesn't recognize it. Just my guess on this.

What bugs me more than the coins you mentioned are all the Canadian dimes that make it into dime hand rolls. Whenever I have tried dimes I always get a bunch of these (and have never got a silver one). They will probably be worth more than American dimes in the not so distant future though.

Jim

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
normally when I get a foreign coin and I don't want it, I just dump it again, I must be lucky because my bank's counter accepts them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread