Bank "Cut Me Off"

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bank "Cut Me Off"

I had opened an account at a fairly large bank about 3 months ago. I told them from jump street that I was a CRHer. "No problem," they said.
So after starting light, only a couple of hundred in $1 bills and a box of pennies every other week everything was going smooth.
I never dumped back at the pick up bank, but did dump at a different branch.
Last Friday I go to get my usual $200 in ones and decide to get 2 boxes of pennies. The vault teller comes out and tells me that the boxes were for "business accounts only." From now on, I assumed.
They let me have the 2 boxes but not anymore. They said that businesses wanted boxes and not hand rolled. I can follow "the logic" of that statement.
"OK. I'll take 2 box equivalent of your hand rolled." Wish I would have said that, but I was so bummed at the time I couldn't think.
Maybe I'll find another branch and see what they say.
Boy, first time I ever been cut off from a bank...

Scott

Upvote 0

placerman

Oct 11, 2005
Re: Bank "Cut Me Off"

Well, they told you how to get around that didn't they?

Just open a business account.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other

Are the boxes coming from vault inventory? Maybe have them order an extra for you each week, instead of depleting what they have on-hand.

FL Junkman

Feb 13, 2008
Florida
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70 and Silver U-Max

Basically the same thing happened to me. About eight months ago I opened up an account at a large national bank and at the time of opening the account, I was as honest with the CSR as I possibly could and explained my hobby and asked if there would be any problem ordering halves from them and was assured that would not be a problem. After opening the account, the second time I went in to pick up and order, the vault teller informed me that there would be a fee for future orders. I then went to the branch manager who sided with the vault teller. Well to shorten the story, I then informed them that to succeed in this hobby I needed supply banks and dump banks and by their choice they had just become a dump bank. Been dumping there on a regular basis ever since. They have several other branches in and around town and dump at them as well. It has actually worked out well for me as I have two supply banks and would never dump on them. So Scott look at it as a good thing and take advantage of it. HH

FL Junkman

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ok.
So I went backto the bank last Friday and bought $25 of their customer hand rolled pennies. I try to play by the rules if I know the rules...
Final tally was about 5-6 wheaties, an "extra thumb" formative years, another 1998 WAM, and my first 2000 WAM.
I also pulled about 300 coppers.
Not too bad, I guess...

Scott

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!

Whata's the extra thumb formative years? I haven't heard of that one. A DDO I assume?? Which thunb?

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The top one is the extra thumb. The bottom is a normal cent.

Scott

Attachments

• Lincoln-Error.jpg
    Lincoln-Error.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 635

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009

I agree with the " there are only two types of banks, supply or dump" -so make it a dump bank

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just finished my second hand rolled box and only 2 wheaties, but scored a 1999 WAM!!!

Scott

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

AU24K said:
Just finished my second hand rolled box and only 2 wheaties, but scored a 1999 WAM!!!

Scott
Now you know we have to see a pic! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pics coming soon. Also it was about 20% coppers pulled. Around $5 or 500 pennies.

Scott

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is the best picture I could get.

What do y'all think it would grade?

Scott

Attachments

• 1999 WAM.JPG
    1999 WAM.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 402
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Is this any better?

Scott

Attachments

• 1999WAM.JPG
    1999WAM.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 383
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So,
What do you think it would grade?
Is it worth slabbing?
Thanks!

Scott

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hard to tell you grade without examining it personally. I had mine slabbed. The potential value of the coin says slab it.
HH
Gilbert

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread