2007 George Washington Missing Edge Lettering

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
On my most recent road trip, I bought up all the half-dollars, two dollar bills, and dollar coins the banks had. My only keeper was one 2007 George Washington with missing edge lettering that was loose in a teller's tray. I know there is a possibility of these faked by grinding down, but I don't think that is the case as it looks normal including the little | marks that appear on normal edges. All the ones I see on eBay are graded, but since this one is very slightly circulated, I wonder if it would be worth to send off for grading or just sell as is?

What's the cheapest cost to get a coin graded? My local store said $50 when I have asked them about it in the past...

PM me any offers, I'll post a pic if anyone's interested

Upvote 0

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Wow! If it's real, congrats; I'm still not able to find one. Pictures please though.

OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Here are the photos of this coin, and 3 micro photographs at 100x, and the last one is 600X zoom of the mint luster on the edge

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 485
  • back.jpg
    back.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 494
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 473
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 497
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 485
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 483
  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 475
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 470
  • m4.jpg
    m4.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 490
  • luster.jpg
    luster.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 476
OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
Here a normal coin edge for reference. Is show both luster, and some marks around the edge

Attachments

• With edge lettering.jpg
    With edge lettering.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 483
OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
so after looking at a normal coin, it looks to be authentic?, unless someone can lathe or grind just a portion of the coin and not touch the luster marks?

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
tim2357 said:
but since this one is very slightly circulated, I wonder if it would be worth to send off for grading or just sell as is?

What's the cheapest cost to get a coin graded? My local store said $50 when I have asked them about it in the past...

PM me any offers, I'll post a pic if anyone's interested

Unless you think the coin is going to get a high grade (MS), I don't think it is worth sending off.

Most people I know that are not experienced coin dealers, etc., often tend to overgrade their own coins from what I have seen. I used to do that myself. I have seen coins that look perfect (to me) come back with only AU ratings instead of MS. If your coin has been circulated and has wear, I would not waste the money getting it graded.

Jim

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
jdsarasin8194 said:
I think it's worth sending. Look legit too :tongue3: :icon_thumright:

If he wants to make a profit, it might not be a smart move. Here is a chart I just found online that gives some prices of error dollar coins.

They list the MS 63 coin as being worth 80 bucks. MS 63 coins look KICK A$$ to the naked eye.

I doubt this poster's coin would rate MS 63, or MS anything from what he said in his post. If the coin has significant scratches it will be found to be damaged and will come back in a "body bag", which means ungraded and they don't give you your money back- I think I read one of the major coin graders will now grade damaged or cleaned coins and put them in a special holder that lists the problem, but grades the "details". I cannot tell from the picture if his coin is such damaged or not.

I have been told a coin costs around 40 bucks to have graded. If poster's coin dealer was giving him a fair price at 50 bucks as is to buy it, that would leave a 10 dollar profit after grading it. If he sells it now, it is 50 bucks profit (if you don't count the dollar he spent for it).

Most coin dealers and serious collectors are not impressed just because a coin is in a slab. It is the grade and look of the coin that really matters.

http://minterrornews.com/priceguidemissingedgelettering.html

Jim

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
jim4silver said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
I think it's worth sending. Look legit too :tongue3: :icon_thumright:

If he wants to make a profit, it might not be a smart move. Here is a chart I just found online that gives some prices of error dollar coins.

They list the MS 63 coin as being worth 80 bucks. MS 63 coins look KICK A$$ to the naked eye.

I doubt this poster's coin would rate MS 63, or MS anything from what he said in his post. If the coin has significant scratches it will be found to be damaged and will come back in a "body bag", which means ungraded and they don't give you your money back- I think I read one of the major coin graders will now grade damaged or cleaned coins and put them in a special holder that lists the problem, but grades the "details". I cannot tell from the picture if his coin is such damaged or not.

I have been told a coin costs around 40 bucks to have graded. If poster's coin dealer was giving him a fair price at 50 bucks as is to buy it, that would leave a 10 dollar profit after grading it. If he sells it now, it is 50 bucks profit (if you don't count the dollar he spent for it).

Most coin dealers and serious collectors are not impressed just because a coin is in a slab. It is the grade and look of the coin that really matters.

http://minterrornews.com/priceguidemissingedgelettering.html

Jim
Looks to me like it would be aroun MS, but thats just me.

OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
I put it up for $20...I figure thats a fair price to start? how much do you think it will go for?

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I would weigh it too to make sure that the edge isn't grounded down

OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
OP
OP
T

tim2357

Oct 23, 2009
jdsarasin8194 said:
SFBayArea said:
I would weigh it too to make sure that the edge isn't grounded down
That should prove (for the most part) that its real :laughing7:

after using 3 different scales: the scale at the pawn shop, and the jewelry store said 8.0 grams, .285oz. I picked up a new digital scale which seems more accurate than the others and it said 8.1 grams, 124 grains, .285 OZ
Which according to this article http://coins.about.com/od/errorcoinsdievarieties/qt/godless_dollar.htm

it should be 125 grains +/- 3 grains or +/- .02 grams

since the coin weighs 124 grains I would say that this would seem to prove the coin to be authentic.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread