cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin counter doesn't count halves!

So, I go to my local credit union here in Vestal, ny to cash in some loose coin...pennies and halves. I had about 5 bucks in pennies and 9 bucks in halves. The machine total was 5 bucks..? So I ask the teller "what happened to my halves?". She says "oh, that machine doesn't take halves". I replied "yes it does, it just doesn't count them!". Then she says "oh yeah, they end up in the quarters bag". I told her they should put up a sign telling people that the machine doesn't take halves, and she looks at me like I'm crazy. Meanwhile they are ripping people off. I went back a month later...still no sign....good job!!

Upvote 0

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
Re: Coin counter doesn't count halves!

buying that quarter bag might work out well for you. you could make a profit if it contains halves, you might find some silver halves and since almost nobody does quarter searching there might be a chance of finding some silver quarters.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008

cdickrun64 said:
So, I go to my local credit union here in Vestal, ny to cash in some loose coin...pennies and halves. I had about 5 bucks in pennies and 9 bucks in halves. The machine total was 5 bucks..? So I ask the teller "what happened to my halves?". She says "oh, that machine doesn't take halves". I replied "yes it does, it just doesn't count them!". Then she says "oh yeah, they end up in the quarters bag". I told her they should put up a sign telling people that the machine doesn't take halves, and she looks at me like I'm crazy. Meanwhile they are ripping people off. I went back a month later...still no sign....good job!!

This sounds like a borderline criminal offense if it is happening exactly like you say. It is shocking to me that the tellers would knowlingly feed half dollars into the machine knowing that it will "accept" them but not give the customer any credit for them. Since you had such a small amount of coins to run thru the machine it is not possible that the teller did not see the half dollars.

Generally machines will either take a half dollar or not take it. If it takes it the machine will give proper credit (unless it is broken). If it won't take it, the coin will either not fit into the counter (much like an Ike will not fit machines), or it will reject it out.

Something sounds fishy to me.

Jim

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I already asked if I could buy the quarters bag ... Met with a rude NO.

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It is a self serve machine, so the tellers didn't knowingly try to cheat me. The thing that bothers me is that they wouldn't put up a sign informing customers that the machine doesn't accept halves.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'd be PISSED!!! :cussing: Along with some random change, I'd empty a jar of screws, washers, nails, nuts, bolts, paperclips (bent in all directions), metal shavings, rocks, dirt, and any other crap that I could think of into the machine. Hopefully it would break or at least jam a few times. If it didn't, I'd be back the next week with another mixed jar and after I'd gotten my receipt, I'd then "accidentally" knock the largest, stickiest drink that I could straight into that machine's hopper (probably one of those ridiculously large, gas station fountain drinks such as a 64 oz. Mt. Dew or Coke, hold the ice). "Gee, I'm really sorry about that Ma'am, by the way, here's my ticket for the change I deposited, could I get that in nickels please." :headbang:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

favored papa

Oct 6, 2009
mountain home Idaho
Detector(s) used
ace 250 dfx

Kantuckkeean said:
I'd be PISSED!!! :cussing: Along with some random change, I'd empty a jar of screws, washers, nails, nuts, bolts, paperclips (bent in all directions), metal shavings, rocks, dirt, and any other crap that I could think of into the machine. Hopefully it would break or at least jam a few times. If it didn't, I'd be back the next week with another mixed jar and after I'd gotten my receipt, I'd then "accidentally" knock the largest, stickiest drink that I could straight into that machine's hopper (probably one of those ridiculously large, gas station fountain drinks such as a 64 oz. Mt. Dew or Coke, hold the ice). "Gee, I'm really sorry about that Ma'am, by the way, here's my ticket for the change I deposited, could I get that in nickels please." :headbang:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck
and on top of that a few drops of loc-tight

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan

I agree I would be pissed. There is no way in hell I would have walked out of that bank without being reimbursed for my coins. I would have demanded them to Open that machine up than and get my coins back.

It does sound criminal.

Mojo

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350

I would also have made quite a stink there. Knowingly ripping off people like that would get someone there in trouble. That I would take to the top!

Maine_Jim

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro

I did my first dump in a Coin Counter machine at new Bank account yesterday- tellers were not happy changing out 3 bags (she said it took 6 months to fill up their first Bag of halves since getting Machine), did tell her it would be a good while before I come back, she said "that's good." They have 3 other Branches in town will hit before I go back there. ;D

OP
OP
cdickrun64

cdickrun64

Nov 12, 2009
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
My eyes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I did get my money back ...they opened the machine and retreived my halves fromthe quarter bag

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kantuckkeean said:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Man Kantuck, I would hate to piss you off....:D

Mentone Grizz

Jul 27, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro

AGCoinHunter said:
Kantuckkeean said:

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Man Kantuck, I would hate to piss you off....:D

I was just thinking the exact same thing!!
- Grizz

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA

cdickrun64 said:
Same thing at my credit union :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread