Found my first proof dime (With pics)

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
Hey everyone. Yesterday, I went to the bank and asked if they had any dimes. The teller said that it was too late to go get some from the vault (Almost closing time), but she did have $35 in dimes. I said sure, and bought them. I was hoping for silver, but I got something just as good. In one of the last rolls, out came a 1981-S proof dime! It will make a nice addition to my collection.

Attachments

• 1981-S Proof Dime OBVERSE.jpg
    1981-S Proof Dime OBVERSE.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 400
  • 1981-S Proof Dime REVERSE.jpg
    1981-S Proof Dime REVERSE.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 396
Upvote 0

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I never find proof dimes, it takes too long to look at them all. I normally rim search them. Cool find though!

OP
OP
Coins4Cheese

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
timbobwey said:
I never find proof dimes, it takes too long to look at them all. I normally rim search them. Cool find though!

I was rim searching also. I noticed a different color on the rim, and I thought it was silver. I looked at it, and it was a proof. Proofs are really easy to spot because of the thicker rims.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Coins4Cheese said:
timbobwey said:

I was rim searching also. I noticed a different color on the rim, and I thought it was silver. I looked at it, and it was a proof. Proofs are really easy to spot because of the thicker rims.
Nice, that's exactly how I found mine a couple months ago, it just stood out.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do check some rims too if they look thicker, or different. Still never found a proof dime that way.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread